• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

bovine suicides

Help Support Ranchers.net:

we were bringing in a calf this morning in a sled hf following along like a dream son opened the gate hf acted like a 4th grader jumping the line jumped over the sled steped on calf. still alive but can't get up. doesn't look good!!

We had just finished up at a neighbors branding one year right before a thunderstorm hit the area. We were standing around having a cold one when a lightning bolt hit in the southeast towards our place and I heard my Dad say "There's was a cow killer." Well a couple days later we were driving down the highway when we smelled the unmistakable smell of death. We found 5 first calf heifers dead in a kind of a circle and 5 bawling calves. Who says you can't wean 60 day old calves. :roll: :wink:

A few years ago, Peach and the Kosmo Kid were unsaddling their horses in our barn at about two o'clock in the afternoon. There was one little bitty cloud in the sky, and there was just one lone lightning strike with the following bolt of thunder approximately 15 seconds later. This equates to the lightning being three miles away when it struck. Sure enough, later that day it was discovered that six yearling heifers and a bull were all killed while drinking at a tank. Since the pump was run by electricity, our first thought was that it was an electrical failure, but it was the lightning that did the deed.

I had a set of fall cows that I had bought one August to calve out and sell as pairs. I was late feeding them one day, so it was dark and it was raining. I was unrolling a bale of hay for them in a pasture and I was driving maybe 5 mph when a cow came charging at the front of the pickup. Instantly i saw 4 feet in the air. She had hit the pickup and it must of broke her neck. Absolutely no damage to the pickup.

Latest posts