• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

BOY IT'S HOT IN TEXAS!!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Its been 100 degrees last few days and no rain in sight.The hay crop has to be no more than 50% of what is normally cut at this time of the year,I guess its a good thing most of us have low numbers because hay is gonna be in shot supply this winter.Not much going on around here ,stay in the shop and piddle ,and wait for cooler weather.Or head to the water hole bout sun down talk cattle and weather with the boys..........good luck PS what's your weather doing?,making any hay?

Thats down right unbearable! How do the cattle and horses manage in that heat? Do they loose weight at all? I can't imagine they do much eating, but lots of drinking? What about bugs in this heat? I hope you have plenty of shade trees on your land!

Take care

Cowgal said:
Thats down right unbearable! How do the cattle and horses manage in that heat? Do they loose weight at all? I can't imagine they do much eating, but lots of drinking? What about bugs in this heat? I hope you have plenty of shade trees on your land!

Take care

You are right on all you said Cowgal,cows find the coolest place they can usually on the creek bottoms,I believe every thing looses some weight in this heat,and I got plenty bugs,do you need some?............good luck

Haymaker how dry can you possibly be in the hill country? Your just spoiled over there and if you don't get a rain every other day your upset. HAHA. West Texas goes so long between rains we forget what it is. Hope you get some tho.

You Texans must have sent a little north- 97 here right now- which is hot hot for me...Started haying- old swather doesn't run good after it gets to 90, spits, sputters, and vapor locks- about the same with me too :lol: ....Been getting up about 4AM- swath until 1-2PM- then its siesta time in the air conditioning....

Boy is this country producing some hay this year-- I have never seen the alfalfa so tall and thick and lush- going to take a few days of 90's to cure it out...Spent 2 hours yesterday just unplugging- hay is so moist and thick and then with all the rain and thunderstorms its lodged so bad--makes for slow cutting...But is their gonna be some tonnage there :) :)

Sounds like we're in for a couple weeks of 90's-100's-with no rain....Good for haying-but could be a little tough on the wheat...

Yes it is HOT in TEXAS!!! On my morning runs checkin cows in this heat...I've noticed they shade up around 9 am under the shade trees closest to the tank and lay there till around 6 pm. A few at a time they make there way to the tank to git a drank, and a dunk...stand there neck deep a few minutes then git out n lazily make their way back to the shade trees. Graze at night when it's cool. I've always thought my bulls werked at night since I never see them do nothin durin the day...(they aint dumb) hehe
Been a time or two when I'm out there tryin to pair up tag #s that I've been tempted to join em...but I dont swim in water I can't see the bottom.
We got 3.5 tenths of an inch tuesday afternoon. Nuff to settle the dust and make it humiddddddddd. But maybe it'll help a little..that's the first rain really that we've had in 2 months. Prayin for this latest tropical storm to come in down round galveston...that'd give us a good soakin rain for a few days.

I got two fields of coastal baled week before last. Production was off by about 35%. We did get 1.75" last week and things are looking up.
Across the Red River in OK, they got nearly 4", man they are happy.

I will fertilize again Monday and hope for more rain.

johndeerefarmer said:
I got two fields of coastal baled week before last. Production was off by about 35%. We did get 1.75" last week and things are looking up.
Across the Red River in OK, they got nearly 4", man they are happy.

I will fertilize again Monday and hope for more rain.

Welcome to the boards johndeere farmer,what kinda tonnage are you getting this year?..................good luck

Big Muddy rancher said:
101 degrees on the front of the bank in Plentywood MT today.

Been plumb hot down here, too-95-100 everyday...Went 50 miles out in the Missouri Breaks yesterday to marry a couple at their ranch- the heat waves made the country look like a haze- but it was sure nice to see every waterhole and reservoir fuller than I ever saw them...Been a busy week- swath every morning from about 5AM til noon or so-- then I've had a wedding every afternoon for the last 3 days--Come in jump in the shower and go get them wed...Then you have to stick around and have a drink or two to celebrate :) - getting too old for those long days in the heat....

Surprisingly with all this heat tho, their has been a heavy dew every morning- and the ground under those heavy hay fields is still wet...Lots of hay tho if we can get it up...The first field we baled had 85 ton- last year it only ran 55 ton...

Pushed 100 with strong south wind on Saturday. Started cutting wheat was hard to keep combine running cool while going west. Had major power outage that night after we retired to bed. All we could think of was no window airconditioning.It came on shortly but had to get up and restart irrigation wells. Must have been large area could only find one radio station still on the air.

TXTibbs said:
Haymaker how dry can you possibly be in the hill country? Your just spoiled over there and if you don't get a rain every other day your upset. HAHA. West Texas goes so long between rains we forget what it is. Hope you get some tho.

Well TXTibbs,I sure wish I had something to be spoiled about,April went into the record books as the driest no rain in May till the end of the month and none in June period,As you can see IM waiting to be spoiled.........altho I still wont trade weather with you ,that west TX is weather is rough......................good luck

Welcome to the boards johndeere farmer,what kinda tonnage are you getting this year?..................good luck[/quote]

It's the driest spring for us and southern OK in about 10 years. On a 15 acre coastal meadow, I got 50 (4X5) round bales. I usually get near 80.

It's a new John Deere 457 baler, the bales are suppose to way up to 1100 lbs. I had a John Deere (4x4) before and the bales were suppose to weigh 750 lbs, but weighed 600 lbs. So I expect that my bales weigh around 900 lbs.

This would give me around 1.5 tons/ acre. This field was cut at 5 weeks. It was fertilized with 350 lbs/acre of 23-7-14. It only received 1.8" rain.

Latest posts