• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Brain degeneration at the US Dept of Agriculture

Help Support Ranchers.net:

SASH

Reaction score
Brain degeneration at the Dept. of Agriculture (David Shuster)

Since this is the time of year when so many of us head to barbecues, I want to alert you to a story you need to know. Our federal government is putting all of us at risk of mad cow disease. And the incompetence and erratic approach of the Department of Agriculture has become so bizarre that one begins to wonder if some officials at that agency are deliberately trying to get fired.

First, a refresher: Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy or BSE is an infectious disease in cattle that causes their brains to degenerate. Animals with the disease will often stagger and become hopelessly agitated before they die, thus the name "mad cow." The disease is usually fatal to people who eat infected beef. And since the proteins that cause the disease can survive temperatures hot enough to melt lead... turning a hamburger into a hockey puck (while killing off other potential problems) will not make BSE meat safe to eat.

At the moment, there appears to be an outbreak of mad cow disease in Japan... and American researchers are incredibly nervous that we may be on the verge of a deadly mad cow outbreak here in the United States. That's what makes the U.S. Department of Agriculture's approach so troubling.

As it stands, the U.S. Department of Agriculture refuses to even consider the main recommendations put forward by the World Health Organization that have stopped mad cow disease across Europe. What are these recommendations? The first is testing. The other is to stop the practice of feeding cow blood, tissue, and slaughterhouse waste to other cows.
I can hear some of you now: "Come on, Shuster, that feeding practice is so grotesque it couldn't possibly be happening in the United States."

Actually, it is happening a lot. Sure, there are some livestock producers who don't give their animals the kind of feed that contains cow blood or waste. But many livestock producers do.
And the fact is, much of the commercially produced calf feed available today contains the very stuff that could spread mad cow disease throughout our food chain.

What is the Department of Agriculture doing about this? Nothing. As I said, the Department of Agriculture refuses to even consider stronger regulations that would put an end to this disgusting practice. But it gets even worse. The department is doing everything it can to assure the public that our food chain "is safe." Thus, we have a ridiculous pep rally like the one on Thursday at the University of Minnesota. Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns will, as his press release says, "hold a roundtable discussion regarding the safety of North American beef..." Those invited to participate include USDA officials, producers, packers, and others.
Who are the others? Groups that don't want more testing and don't want the government passing regulations that would make calf feed cleaner and thus slightly more expensive. In fact, consumer groups, organic livestock companies, and beef producers who oppose allowing cows to eat cow blood and slaughterhouse waste will not be allowed to participate.

The irony is that if the Department of Agriculture really cared about the U.S. meat industry, the department would add a little pain now to prevent the industry from being decimated down the road when an outbreak occurs and nobody wants to buy U.S. meat. But once again, it's all about short-term profits and paying back your political contributors. And consumers are left holding the bag... or in this case, mourning the deaths of loved ones who could die suddenly from the human form of BSE.

Did I mention that American scientists are tracking a mysterious spike in the U.S. of the human form of BSE, known as Creutzfeldt Jakob disease?

I apologize if this blog about cows eating slaughterhouse waste has made you lose your appetite. But, tell that to your congressman or senator. Maybe they will have better luck getting explanations from the government officials who are supposed to be responsible. My calls today to the Department of Agriculture were not returned.

That gets pretty close to my thoughts on the subject. I believe the last Canadian cow found with BSE was a result of her eating calf feed with blood meal in it. I don't know where the feed came from, maybe the government people do but don't want to say.

I don't think the risk of feeding feed containing blood isa very large risk as we do not have BSE in our herd, at least as far as we know, but why should we take the chance. AS long as we do use these products in our feed, I am opposed to importing cattle over 30 months for slaughter here.

Do you want to eat meat from old dairy cows who were fed cow blood as calves? I agree that there may not be huge risk but we're just keeping whatever BSE was in our herds from before the feed ban and from imported UK MBM and live cattle in our herds even if only in a few cattle.

Nope, I raise my own beef, I'll let the city folks take their chances with that old ground Holstein beef thats full of chemicals and be nice.

Sash you stated:

The disease is usually fatal to people who eat infected beef.

I say prove it. So far the evidence is circumstantial. Just because more kids drown during the summer when more ice cream is consumed, doesn't mean that ice cream causes increased child mortality. This is epidemiological evidence that, in the case of BSE, has ignored more relevant information that is science based. Where are all the studies showing animals fed milk replacer or MBM, containing brain tissue (et al), later developed BSE?? They don't exist!

Fine don't feed animals other animals. Great! But spreading unproven statements like the one above, is fear mongering. Twenty years have gone by, and still all transmission experiments must first homogenate (liquify by smashing brain tissue with microbeads, breaking apart protein amino acid chains), concentrate (via centrifuge at extremely hight g forces, separating metals from the homogenate), sonicate (or expose to vibration like ultrasound), and intracranially inject, or drench directly this concoction directly into the stomach.

Yah, that's real normal.

20 years and this is the best information we have? God help us!

Sash you stated:

Actually, its the guy who wrote the article that stated that. I just came across it. I believe that this guy writes for some consumer group. Probably affiliated with R-CALF.

I'm sorry Sash, I skimmed the message too quickly and missed the byline. Certainly one of my biggest pet peeves is the media or anyone saying that infected beef caused vCJD or any other prion disease.

Factoids, they are called. Unproven theories that morph into fact without proof.

Thank you for kindly clearing that up for me.

Maybe I'll contact the author and give him some discomfort, just as he has the entire cattle industry.

SASH said:
The irony is that if the Department of Agriculture really cared about the U.S. meat industry, the department would add a little pain now to prevent the industry from being decimated down the road when an outbreak occurs and nobody wants to buy U.S. meat. But once again, it's all about short-term profits and paying back your political contributors. And consumers are left holding the bag... or in this case, mourning the deaths of loved ones who could die suddenly from the human form of BSE.

Looks like the national press is starting to pick up the "true read" of the situation and who is running the show...USDA along with NCBA are the Packer Pawns.......

I am using factoid defined by the journalist Peter Schroeder.

Says something loud enough and long enough, and it soon becomes a fact, even though there is no proof of its actuality.

Whoever is telling them how to handle PR on these things doesn't understand the public and the media well. MAYBE a NCBA Employeeeee.

Latest posts