• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Branded again today, April 18, 2008

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Brandingagaintoday.jpg

Branding again today
Kosmokaughtakalf.jpg

The Kosmo Kid kaught a kalf
Stringingoneup.jpg

Brady stringing one up
Thingsarehappening.jpg

Things are happening
This25isdone.jpg

This 25 is done. We do them 25 at a time so the whole bunch doesn't have to be running around while we are roping.
Theonesyettodoarenotbeingmolested.jpg

The ones yet to do are not being molested.
Takingthemaroundthecorner.jpg

Taking them around the corner
Adjustingthefire.jpg

Adjusting the fire
Anotherprairiepicnic.jpg

Another prairie picnic
Foolingaround.jpg

Fooling around
Exertingextraenergy.jpg

Exerting extra energy
Moretomfooleryandfiddlinaround.jpg

More tom foolery and fiddlin' around :wink:
Withatightflankcinchthatboycanbuck.jpg

With a tight flank cinch, this boy can buck. :roll: :)
Guestarrivedtoobservetheproceedings.jpg

Guests arrived to observe the proceedings
Brandingbunch.jpg

My dad took a picture of the branding crew for the day.
Morecalfcatching.jpg

More calf catching
Girlwithagun.jpg

Girl with a gun
Everyonegetsaturnroping.jpg

Everyone gets a turn at roping.

Hey :shock: , I didn't know Pringles were part of the Atkins Diet. :lol:

Enjoyed your photos again, cold as heck here today. I think we could have 'freeze' branded. :roll:

They may have white skin but at least they don't have the foot of snow that we do. Wanna trade? :shock:

Now who would trade 80F for snow????? :???: :???: :???: :? :? :?

No one in their right mind!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

If we could teach a calf to do a hand stand, it would be easier to double hock them. We branded with our version of your wheels today. Only did about 30 head to try it out before we do the main bunch on Thursday and Saturday. We had some calves get their front feet under them, and we'd have to tail them again. Wonder if maybe we didn't pull them a little too high :? ? Our lawnmower wheels are not as deep as yours, and a couple of times, the rope jumped out of the wheel. We still do not have any friction tape located to put in the groove. Wonder if that might not stop that :???: ? I lost my camera out of my shirt pocket tagging calves a couple of week ago, so I have no pics to post :mad: . We are getting it figured out though :? :D

Shortgrass said:
If we could teach a calf to do a hand stand, it would be easier to double hock them. We branded with our version of your wheels today. Only did about 30 head to try it out before we do the main bunch on Thursday and Saturday. We had some calves get their front feet under them, and we'd have to tail them again. Wonder if maybe we didn't pull them a little too high :? ? Our lawnmower wheels are not as deep as yours, and a couple of times, the rope jumped out of the wheel. We still do not have any friction tape located to put in the groove. Wonder if that might not stop that :???: ? I lost my camera out of my shirt pocket tagging calves a couple of week ago, so I have no pics to post :mad: . We are getting it figured out though :? :D

It sure works better if the calf isn't pulled up too high. The tailhead of the calf should only be about six inches off the ground for optimum efficiency. Once in a great while, we have the rope jump off the wheel. Usually the calf can be finished any way, but the rope doesn't release as well when the job is completed. Another thing that seems to help is for someone to stand on the front leg that is on the ground. This prevents some of the struggling that occurs.

I hope it works for you, and hope neither you or your neighbors get too mad at me for a dumb idea. :roll: :wink: :)

Latest posts