• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Branding a five year old horse...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Curly

Reaction score
I have a couple questions for the horse folks of the gang--

1. I need to get the teeth floated on a five year old horse. Anybody know of a good equine dentist in or around Helena, Montana?

2. I need to hot brand that same horse (shoulder), any recommendation on branding a horse that age?
I though I might have the vet sedate him for the teeth floating and I would brand him while his head is still low from the sedation. He's a darn good horse I don't want to get him all freaked out.

Curly

We just take ours to the vet to get their teeth floated.If youre already there,why not just get him freeze branded?We dont sedate ours when we freeze brand horses,just wondering.

-Be carefull.

The freeze brand does not hurt the horse (until later), the hot brand is pain right now. I prefer the look of the hot brand so that's what I generally use, I've just never branded a mature horse.

I may end up just having the teeth done by a regular vet but I want a good one. I had a vet tear the hell out of one of my horses teeth and really caused some trouble for him when he got older. The vet actually broke off two teeth at the root with his file, those teeth abscessed years later and nearly killed the old horse.
Floating the teeth is not a real difficult thing to do but if done improperly it can become a mess.

We have branded older horses what we do is take a stick and start pokeing him where the brand will go have the brand ready as he quit's flinching from the stick set the brand on him he will be branded before he know's what happened.

We put a board endwise on the shoulder of the horse and press it in firmly. The horse will press back. Slide the iron down the board and he doesn't even know what happened. Doesn't take long to hot iron brand a horse. They aren't like cattle.

Here's the vet who would do a good job on your horses teeth.

Dr. Jack Rea, bought the Larry Passage place out by the lake.
He is from Three Forks and is a super good horse vet. Very
experienced and highly thought of.
I will PM you his phone number.

We usually do the stud colts when they are tied down for castrating- get it all done at once...

On all others-- mares or anything bought-- We have an old barn with several old two horse stalls and manger where you can tie them- with a center pole divider...We usually just tie them in their stall and then bring the center pole up tight against them and tie it up - holds them tight so they can't move or reach out sideways or forward to kick- can't back up or pull - usually they don't move a bit...

Or you can do it this way . . .
http://www.northernhorse.com/images/BRANDED.mpe

If that link doesn't work go to this page;
http://www.northernhorse.com/
and scroll down to the last colored block of text > Look for the words/link
"How fast can a horse kick? (800 kb movie) "

It's been passed around through email for a few years now, so some of you may have already seen it.

I didn't bother downloading the video...I've seen it,yup instantly a horse can kick :shock:

Faster horses said:
There is a world of difference between an Equine Dentist and a vet
who floats teeth.

I have extremely knowledgeable 'horse friends' in Helena. I'll call them and see who they recommend.
8) Yep-price

Hi, Curly!
I am in Billings. I am up here for the winter from Southern California. I know...I'm nuts, right. My mom's boyfriend was operating Montana Angus Ranch until recently (they dispersed all the cattle...)
Anyway, I do advanced equine dentistry. I have yet to find anyone in MT that does equine dentistry at the level that I do.
I am a licensed Equine Dental Tech in the State of California working at the major race tracks. I also work on all sorts of horses; from backyard horses to Olympic dressage horses. And, of course, the race horses.
Hopefully you will get this post soon. We are driving up to Helena today to tend some other business. I will have all my instruments and supplies with me. Call me if you need my services.
Jennifer Tipton
American Equine Dental
Americanequinedental.com
818-749-3889

I've branded a couple older horses, they aren't fun to do. My advise is to go to the vet for some happy juice.

eqteeth said:
Hi, Curly!
I am in Billings. I am up here for the winter from Southern California. I know...I'm nuts, right. My mom's boyfriend was operating Montana Angus Ranch until recently (they dispersed all the cattle...)
Anyway, I do advanced equine dentistry. I have yet to find anyone in MT that does equine dentistry at the level that I do.
I am a licensed Equine Dental Tech in the State of California working at the major race tracks. I also work on all sorts of horses; from backyard horses to Olympic dressage horses. And, of course, the race horses.
Hopefully you will get this post soon. We are driving up to Helena today to tend some other business. I will have all my instruments and supplies with me. Call me if you need my services.
Jennifer Tipton
American Equine Dental
Americanequinedental.com
818-749-3889

Looks like Im a day late and a dollar short...

Heel Fly said:
I've branded a couple older horses, they aren't fun to do. My advise is to go to the vet for some happy juice.

Yea, thats what I had planned. When his heads down low I will brand him without him noticing. I'm in Alaska now but I will be back home in Montana in 3 weeks and do it then.

Got him branded. All went well but I found the hide to be a lot thinner than the cows. I hate to admit it but I burned through in a spot. The vet was there so he put a couple stitches in it. It will be a nice brand.

Latest posts