• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Branding again, April 21, 2009

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Gettinginanotherbunchtobrand.jpg

Getting in another bunch to brand
Theyarefilingthroughthegatejustrigh.jpg

They are filing through the gate just right
Onemorecornerandtheywillbeinthecorr.jpg

One more corner and they will be in the corral
Thecowshavebeensortedawayfromthecal.jpg

The cows have been sorted away from the calves.
Someofthehorsesonthecrew.jpg

Some of the equine members of the crew
Thepickupisinposition.jpg

The pickup is in position
Bradyswinginghisrope.jpg

Brady swinging his rope
Intentonhisquarry.jpg

Intent on his quarry
Hethrows.jpg

He throws
Andconnects.jpg

And connects
Herehecomes-1.jpg

Here he comes
Bothfeetjustlikeitssupposedtobe.jpg

Both feet--just like it is supposed to be
Upandoverthewheel.jpg

Up and over the wheel
Thegroundcrewhardatwork.jpg

The ground crew hard at work
Sunflowercoilinguparope.jpg

Sunflower coiling up a rope
SomecalveswiththeSpearheadontheirle.jpg

Some calves with the Spearhead on their left hip
Thisgrouphasbeenbranded.jpg

This group has been branded and is on the way back out the gate to rejoin with their mothers
Prairiepicnic.jpg

Prairie picnic
Feelsgoodtorestforabit.jpg

Feels good to rest for a little bit
Renaropingandanotherfriendalsojoine.jpg

Rena roping, along with another neighbor who joined us to help in the afternoon
Themanwithaknifeandthegirlwiththeir.jpg

The man with a knife and the girl with the branding iron

Looks like a short sleeve type of day! The calves look fine. Hope ya get em' all worked and turned out on grass. We are getting geared up to brand a bunch Saturday. Thanks!

That is a fine looking bunch of calves Soapweed, and a great crew too!

Glad to see things are clickin' along down in the sandhills.

Ty

Where's Baxter? :wink: Wouldn't it be nice to be a few years younger when pop and chips didn't add up to rolls? :) Good pics. Good job. Enjoy the mudless sand.

Thanks for the nice comments. To be truthful, I'm a bit stiff and sore today--getting old, I guess. :? :wink: Brady and I have been getting in plenty of roping lately. We do 27 calves in each draft because that is what the vaccine guns hold. We alternate every 27 calves. Goose and I dragged in 81 calves yesterday. It sure helps to wear chaps and take out the jackknife, lip balm, post office key, and loose change from our right hand front pants pockets. One old neighbor that used to rope a lot of calves at branding time carried around a piece of foam two inches thick and about a foot square. Before he started roping, he'd take down his britches and insert this piece of foam. I was telling Brady about this little trick yesterday, and after the branding he confessed that he'd found a stocking cap in the pickup and had put it under his pant leg. :)

The calves get Ultrachoice 7 (blackleg) and Bovashield Gold. The steer calves get Synovex C, but the heifers don't get it this year.

John SD said:
So where did those red calves come from? Neighbor's bull? :twisted: :eek: :shock: :wink:

If you breed a black cow to a black bull, it is still possible to get a red calf. A red cow bred to a red bull will always result in a red calf. Some of our cattle have red backgrounds, and this comes through occasionally, even though both the cows and bulls are now black.

Cal said:
Where's Baxter? :wink:

He learned to stay away when we brand. :wink:

Cal said:
Wouldn't it be nice to be a few years younger when pop and chips didn't add up to rolls? :)

Yup. :)

Big Muddy rancher said:
Did Brady rope that calf then flip his rope to the left side to drag for the wheel on the right side of the truck?

No, I think the rope is just around behind his horse, and still across his right leg. When we pull across the wheel, the ground person holds the rope tight, and we turn our horses to face the wheel. They then back up until the rope is in the proper position. Our horses are really getting good at pulling in reverse.

Latest posts