• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Branding cattle with just 3 letters and 3 numbers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Any combination of any 3 letters and any combination of any 3 single digit numbers combined,how many cows can be branded ?
good luck

I'm guessing tens of thousands, depending on your area. Considering there are 6 different locations on the animal it can be put, and each character can be oriented several ways, arranged side by side and one above the other or a combination of the two..... kinda makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

I would guess it would be 46,656.

There are 10 numbers and 26 letters or a possibility of 36 different characters in each position.

Therefore 36 x 36 x 36 is 46,656.

At least a full day of branding, right.

Thiis would, of course assume the characters are right side up
and in one place on the cattle.

If you allow the characters to be oriented in four ways, you would
get 144 x 144 x 144 or 2,985,984. If there are 10 places to brand a critter, you would get 29,859,840.

If you really want to get precise, adjust the numbers downward for zeros and o's which look the same any which way.

I'm not going to figure that one out.

cp

I made my guess but in my answer you would be able to brand

AAAAA1

would that be alouded our not

The XIT Ranch in Texas has a history of running a lot of cattle. It did it all with just three letters. :wink:

The ranch started operations in 1885 and at its peak averaged handling 150,000 head of cattle within its 1,500 miles (2,400 km) of fencing. The ranch also erected 325 windmills and 100 dams across its land.

According to the XIT Ranch museum website, it covered portions of ten counties which apparently helped perpetuate the misbelief that the brand -XIT- stands for "Ten In Texas". The brand, in fact, was originated to thwart rustlers.

ok using a 6 item brand .USING A B C 1 2 3 ...starting with AAAAAB

THE ANSWER WOULD BE 666,666 SQUARED OR

444,443,555,556 WITH OUT USING SAME BRAND OVER AGAIN

BUT IF YOU CAN USE OVER AGAIN..Infinite NUMBER

myersfarm said:
ok using a 6 item brand .USING A B C 1 2 3 ...starting with AAAAAB

THE ANSWER WOULD BE 666,666 SQUARED OR

444,443,555,556 WITH OUT USING SAME BRAND OVER AGAIN

BUT IF YOU CAN USE OVER AGAIN..Infinite NUMBER

Here you can only use at the most 3 characters, and no fewer than 2.
I would assume the question asked us to pick 3 numbers and 3 letters and figure out the maximum number of combinations using those 6 characters.

Here you can't turn all letters backwards, and all letters can't be lazy or upside down. All numbers must maintain their natural position. So letters can hang, some can't. Only some letters can be combined with another letter.

burnt said:
The guy who asked this question is conspicuous by his silence . . . :???:

Settle down you LiL bald headed cancuckle head, you know i aint got much schoolin, give me a chance to think about this :D
good luck

Silver said:
I'm guessing tens of thousands, depending on your area. Considering there are 6 different locations on the animal it can be put, and each character can be oriented several ways, arranged side by side and one above the other or a combination of the two..... kinda makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

Location is not a factor, I dont care if you brand a cow with one letter or number in six places as long as she gets 3 letters and 3 numbers.
good luck

myersfarm said:
I made my guess but in my answer you would be able to brand

AAAAA1

would that be alouded our not

NO, "3" letters and "3" numbers in any combination. AAA 000,
ZZZ 999
good luck

Latest posts