• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Branding day morning

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
Once again the sun is just starting over the hill as I head out to check for new calves. There is 45 cows out there and only 5 who haven't calved yet. No new calves but lots of calves laying around this morning. Little do they know that later this morning they will all get branded, vaccinated, and hauled off to the summer pasture.

P4282849.JPG
P4282851.JPG

Got to love it. I posted this same message on Facebook. I use the word vaccinate (as in vaccinate the calves) and a message pops up telling me to consult the Covid 19 vaccination center. Far as I know none of these calves were ever exposed to Covid.

Well the calves were all branded, give 3 vaccines, a fly tag, and those that were still bulls are now steers. They got hauled to a place with a thousand acres of grass to munch on. See you again in three and a half months. Started at 6:00 AM and finished at 5:45 PM. No cows to feed tomorrow. No calf check to do. Relaxation....... well irrigation starts tomorrow morning. I guess I get the night off.
You know being retired and owning a ranch is truly an oxymoron.

The wife took pictures of today's fun. First here they come to the corral. Then three of us getting it done in the corral. Then a picture of where they are going for the summer. Then down in the bottom of the canyon they all got out of the trailers.

P4282862.JPG
P4282866.JPG
P4282867.JPG
P4282874.JPG
P4292880.JPG
P4292883.JPG

It would sure help the grass if there wasn't a frost every morning. We don't need serious heat but 10 degrees warmer would sure help things. There are steep rugged sagebrush and juniper canyons to the right and left which are part of this place. It sure isn't all sugar and spice.

Latest posts