• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Branding Etiquette

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Wyoming Wind said:
We just had our big branding last weekend...we did 450 calves in 3 hours including gathering time for two herds. We had 35 people on horse back, at least 8 sets of wrestlers, 2 nut cutters, 2 ear markers, 4 vaccinators, 4 branders, 2 gals doctoring anything sick, and numerous others filling in where needed. We never rope at our own brandings---we give that job to the older cowboys/cowgirls who have wrestled calves for the first 30 years of their life. It is a spot that is earned. You can't be a good roper at a branding unless you have been flipping calves---you can't just be a cowboy, you gotta be a cattleman to earn that right (In my opinion). If my husband or father in law isn't asked to rope at a neighbors branding no one has hurt feelings. They just fill in where they are needed. Around here brandings are a "working party". No one comes to just spectate---or if they do they get talked about later :) Everyone wants to work and help out, bad attitudes don't get invited the next year ;-). We have lots of food and beer/pop afterwards and lots of stories and laughter. And in my opinion, you know it's a successful day when our "help" tells us thank you for the invite. It's all about getting the job done fast and as safe as possible for the calves and people. These old cowboys around here don't do well with attitudes and expectations :) And we start the kids young at wrestling. It's the easiest job you can have and most of the time experienced wrestlers will wrestle with a novice kid.

Your area of the country sounds a lot like ours. Branding here is a tradition that I hope never goes away. Neighbors and friends helping each other and having a great time while doing it. You don't have to go very far to the east of here and they have lost that tradition of neighbor helping neighbor.

I hadn't really thought about an 'etiquette' involved in brandings, but realized I've seen it after all. Lots of families in this area do it by trading work, and/or hiring some young guys if there aren't enough people available otherwise. Probably, there are some places more 'fun' than others. And some work at keeping everyone safe and following BQA practices.

One old timer from some distance east of us came just to watch a couple of times. His first visit, he marveled that it was 'a will oiled machine with people of all ages doing good work, whether roping, wrestling, cutting, vaccinating, cutting or branding, handling the Nord forks, or whatever was needed, and no one was giving orders! He had never seen that! There were 25 to 35 people from age 6 to early 70's at the brandings he came for and he related that to the way people used to work in his neighborhood, and said that all went out when combines took over the work of the threshing crews and people started using calf tables for branding.

Nord forks haven't been mentioned yet in this thread, have they? We have used them for several years and find they really save time and are easier on the crew and the calves. We pen the calves, sorting the cows outside the corral, then rope and drag the calves outside to work them. They are released to join the cows as soon as they are finished up, and the cows leave with their calf as soon as they can find each other. We have very little problems with infections. We knife or scalpel cut them and they rarely horns and may be scooped if they do. We started calving Feb. 20, (heifers due date was March 17, but started early), cows scheduled to start mid April and also started a little early. We will have three brandings starting Wednesday, again on Saturday, and the last one about June 3. As for etiquette, I think the guys try to get everyone into the job they are best at, and/or where they are needed. And to have some fun, get the job done, and stay safe. Maybe most important is teaching young kids how to do the jobs and stay safe, imo.

mrj

bearvalley said:
WHR said:
Alot of the brandings I've been at have been larger ranches that mostly just used their own crew. At one place I wrestled calves for four springs with the same partner.It was pretty good because we really got to know the job well. The same two older guys roped all the calves and the same fellow had branded almost all the calves for fourty years. You can bet they were consistent. :) The whole thing was just a job and it went smoothly. I roped lots at other places but as far as getting the job done this was the best.I realize it has to be different when you rely on neighbors and I would think that the owner shouldn't rope unless he has to.

Would that have been Bill, Joe and Bones?
You got it! and Bob too.I guess this means that I probably know you but I'm baffled. How about a clue?

Always good to learn how others do things. We use Nord forks and only bring them with both heals caught. The hand running the fork has got to know how to use it correctly. I, like some of you bite my tongue a lot of times. I don't mind kids roping, but I was brought up that you earn your way to the saddle. I feel bad when older hands are working their butts off on the ground and a youngsters are trying to rope. I run my branding the way a lot of you described. I don't rope, because I'm to particular as to my ear marking goes and so forth. But when I go to other brandings, I like to be asked if I'd like to rope a little. After all I don't saddle up and haul my horse for nothing. Like I said I just get a little upset when the owner of the calves is sitting on his horse before the vaccine guns are filled. But they help me, so I can't really skip out on helping them. It's all good. I learned a lot from your posts. So thanks.

We branded a few evenings ago, the late calves and a batch of new comers. I asked my brother in law to find a crew as state track took most of the high school kids. He said they should be there around 5:30, pm that is!!! I said you know we have 130 head to do right! Yes he replied but that's when they can come so we made it work. Was after 6 before we got rolling and we finished under the yard light. Never have branded calves in the dark but we got it done. I agree with you guys, and I believe it's just an unwritten rule that you don't rope at your own branding. We just farmered everything this year, but we roped last year due to weather delays and branding late Jan and Feb calves on the 5th of may. It was a long day but we finally got them done. Can't say enough about the great community we live in.

One other thing...it's hard to get younger folks to want to come out and wrestle. In the past we have had the high school FFA teacher come out with some of his students...we live near a small community and it was great. As the teacher said he likes for his students to be able to help out in the rural community. He took care of all of the waiver forms :)

We use a calf table for ours, but a friend of ours does the roping and he is normally on the ground running the iron, doing shots or anything else that needs to be done. But when it gets down to the last few someone normally trades with him and he ropes.

After attending and working a few ropings I never understood why people got their feelings hurt if they couldn't rope...or if the owner ropes.

After all they are HIS cattle and it's happening on HIS place....and I , probably mistaken of course, thought the main point of it all was to get the job done....not groom egos.

I saw it as a work project with a goal....not a society event.

kolanuraven said:
After attending and working a few ropings I never understood why people got their feelings hurt if they couldn't rope...or if the owner ropes.

After all they are HIS cattle and it's happening on HIS place....and I , probably mistaken of course, thought the main point of it all was to get the job done....not groom egos.

But it is a "Society" event, In the west where people might not have seen their neighbors all winter got together to brand calves and have a party.

Now days people are more mobile and get out more often with better roads and vehicles but the tradition continues. We don't get a big crew for branding but we gathered and shipped yearlings for many years and that is when we had a big round up crew.

Big Muddy rancher said:
kolanuraven said:

But it is a "Society" event, In the west where people might not have seen their neighbors all winter got together to brand calves and have a party.

Now days people are more mobile and get out more often with better roads and vehicles but the tradition continues. We don't get a big crew for branding but we gathered and shipped yearlings for many years and that is when we had a big round up crew.

What few I worked was in Neb. for some of our neighbors....our ranch never branded our cattle.

I was always the smallest sized woman there so I ended up working with the kids or doing a kid job!! ;-)

kolanuraven said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
kolanuraven said:

What few I worked was in Neb. for some of our neighbors....our ranch never branded our cattle.

I was always the smallest sized woman there so I ended up working with the kids or doing a kid job!! ;-)

At some brandings the most important job was carrying the oyster bucket. :lol: :lol:
you also don't just show up branding expecting to be given a "important: job some guys have been going to that branding for years and have earned their job.

With more ranches being bought up by "outsiders" I think some of the traditions are being lost and people for some reason just seem busier and don't go for the visit and fellowship.

This was on my FB page this morning:

This is for the rancher who neighbors or hires day working cowboys at branding time.

I came to your ranch to help with shipping and branding. Did not come to work on windmills or build fence.

I have no problem getting up at 3:30 in the morning so we can be on the backside of the circle at first light. I do have a problem with working your cattle in the heat of the day. It is hard on your cattle, hard on my horse and all the men.

I will not rope your bull or dry cow that slipped between you and your son on the drag. You created that mess being in a hurry to get to the pens.

I see you have a cake box and a trailer. Might I suggest you ride a horse through your cattle during feed season. They would not run from a horse if they associate the horse and feed to one another.

While we are on the subject of cake feeders, why do you have to go all Rowdy Yates during the gather? Why not use the feedtruck to lead all the cows and bulls to the pen?

I wont come back if you have to whoop and holler and wave like a fool at your cows to pen them. That is an insult to everyone that is really mounted on a cow horse. You should be too.

The fastest way to strip calves is low and slow. Dont crowd your cows to the gate. Lets spend some time to train them to single file. Yes we know you want to stand in the gate with a coat to strip calves but I will run over you with my sorting horse. You should have some pride in your craft, I do.

In the dragging pen, don't tell me to drag closer to the fire because you are getting tired of walking between sides. I will drag a calf through the fire. Don't test me on this.

When it comes time to sort off dry cows you need to be horse back making the calls. You have spent the last year with these girls. You know them better than I. But if that old Hereford cow had 13 calves in a row, look her by.

I don't mind sleeping in my bedroll, however, if you hear your dog yelp from the chapping he got for trying to make a nest on the foot of my bed, dont say a word. The next man maybe more protective of his roll.

I want a hot shower at the end of the day. I wont leave a mess for your wife to clean up after me.

I will treat your ranch, livestock and family with respect. The minute you disrespect me or any of the crew, I will whip your ass in front of your family on your land.

But most of all, you need to feed us three squares. Have you forgotten you are in the food business? Dont feed me pizza or burritos. I would rather eat a huge breakfast with steak, taters and beans with a biscuit. Light on the dinner if we are working the afternoon. Even if you are not a drinking man, have a beer with the cowboys around the evening fire. Hospitality goes a long ways to make sure you have good hands.

Last of all, the pay. I know this is a big expenditure for you. I have costs on my side as well. Those three head of horses I brought cost me $2000 a round as two year olds. They are six years old and seasoned now. I have spent countless hours making them solid work horses so you would hire me. Yes, they are for sale at the right price. That working saddle cost me more than that good gray horse. A nylon rope that will snag a calf by the heels with a little shake down left in it cost me another 40 dollars. That rig we drove up in is not paid for but the trailer is. But now a days a tire is equal to a days pay. Fuel is too. Not to mention oil change and insurance. Don't come up and try to negotiate less wages after the work is done because one of the townies would do it for less. A deal is a deal.

We do this because we honed our skills to become a craftsman. What we do is more art than science. It isn't taught in a classroom but under the guidance of that old man over there that will barely have enough money for a box when he is dead. If he asks you for a little spot on your land to be laid to rest, oblige. No higher respect could he pay to you or your ranch

DejaVu said:

This is for the rancher who neighbors or hires day working cowboys at branding time.

I came to your ranch to help with shipping and branding. Did not come to work on windmills or build fence.

I have no problem getting up at 3:30 in the morning so we can be on the backside of the circle at first light. I do have a problem with working your cattle in the heat of the day. It is hard on your cattle, hard on my horse and all the men.

I will not rope your bull or dry cow that slipped between you and your son on the drag. You created that mess being in a hurry to get to the pens.

I see you have a cake box and a trailer. Might I suggest you ride a horse through your cattle during feed season. They would not run from a horse if they associate the horse and feed to one another.

While we are on the subject of cake feeders, why do you have to go all Rowdy Yates during the gather? Why not use the feedtruck to lead all the cows and bulls to the pen?

I wont come back if you have to whoop and holler and wave like a fool at your cows to pen them. That is an insult to everyone that is really mounted on a cow horse. You should be too.

The fastest way to strip calves is low and slow. Dont crowd your cows to the gate. Lets spend some time to train them to single file. Yes we know you want to stand in the gate with a coat to strip calves but I will run over you with my sorting horse. You should have some pride in your craft, I do.

In the dragging pen, don't tell me to drag closer to the fire because you are getting tired of walking between sides. I will drag a calf through the fire. Don't test me on this.

When it comes time to sort off dry cows you need to be horse back making the calls. You have spent the last year with these girls. You know them better than I. But if that old Hereford cow had 13 calves in a row, look her by.

I don't mind sleeping in my bedroll, however, if you hear your dog yelp from the chapping he got for trying to make a nest on the foot of my bed, dont say a word. The next man maybe more protective of his roll.

I want a hot shower at the end of the day. I wont leave a mess for your wife to clean up after me.

I will treat your ranch, livestock and family with respect. The minute you disrespect me or any of the crew, I will whip your ass in front of your family on your land.

But most of all, you need to feed us three squares. Have you forgotten you are in the food business? Dont feed me pizza or burritos. I would rather eat a huge breakfast with steak, taters and beans with a biscuit. Light on the dinner if we are working the afternoon. Even if you are not a drinking man, have a beer with the cowboys around the evening fire. Hospitality goes a long ways to make sure you have good hands.

Last of all, the pay. I know this is a big expenditure for you. I have costs on my side as well. Those three head of horses I brought cost me $2000 a round as two year olds. They are six years old and seasoned now. I have spent countless hours making them solid work horses so you would hire me. Yes, they are for sale at the right price. That working saddle cost me more than that good gray horse. A nylon rope that will snag a calf by the heels with a little shake down left in it cost me another 40 dollars. That rig we drove up in is not paid for but the trailer is. But now a days a tire is equal to a days pay. Fuel is too. Not to mention oil change and insurance. Don't come up and try to negotiate less wages after the work is done because one of the townies would do it for less. A deal is a deal.

We do this because we honed our skills to become a craftsman. What we do is more art than science. It isn't taught in a classroom but under the guidance of that old man over there that will barely have enough money for a box when he is dead. If he asks you for a little spot on your land to be laid to rest, oblige. No higher respect could he pay to you or your ranch

#1. I don't know how that could have been said any better! :clap: :clap: :clap: :tiphat:
I love the code of the old west. It's actually very sad that the above even has to be mentioned. I realize that not everyone hires a 'hand' or 'crew' to do their branding, but much of what was written can apply to trading heip as
well.

#2. I would like to be your facebook friend, as I would like that on
my facebook page. :D

Thanks for sharing.

Faster horses said:
DejaVu said:

#1. I don't know how that could have been said any better! :clap: :clap: :clap: :tiphat:
I love the code of the old west. It's actually very sad that the above even has to be mentioned. I realize that not everyone hires a 'hand' or 'crew' to do their branding, but much of what was written can apply to trading heip as
well.

Thanks for sharing.
While most of the content of this rant is accurate and indeed correct, there is plenty about it's delivery that is arrogant and offensive. If you're unhappy about where the calves are drug he will drag it through the fire? or give the owner a whipping in front of his family. He might be the best hand in the country but I can do with out him. I will be happy with less experienced people that enjoy the job and aren't full of judgement if things are handled differently than his protocol.

Just saying. I saw it on my facebook too but did not share. Both of our brandings and subsequent cattle trails went fine without this man's help.

per said:
[
While most of the content of this rant is accurate and indeed correct, there is plenty about it's delivery that is arrogant and offensive. If you're unhappy about where the calves are drug he will drag it through the fire? or give the owner a whipping in front of his family. He might be the best hand in the country but I can do with out him. I will be happy with less experienced people that enjoy the job and aren't full of judgement if things are handled differently than his protocol.

Just saying. I saw it on my facebook too but did not share. Both of our brandings and subsequent cattle trails went fine without this man's help.

I'm with you per, such a perfect person surely has enough of their own to tend to. No need for them to help with ours.

per said:
Faster horses said:
DejaVu said:

well.

Thanks for sharing.

I saw those same statements and had the same thoughts as you but didn't post that as I would get jumped on by the " real" cow people here for saying such.

I also agree with you per. There are some cowboys that are real hands and there are some that are just plain sorry help. If the so called "cowboy" was on my ranch and drug a calf across a branding fire on purpose he would get all the opportunity in the world to give me a whipping in front of my family and friends.

per said:

Yup, this fella can just stay home as far as I'm concerned.

sound's like a fussy entitled plick and nothing that i have would be good enough for him to work with anyway's...so he probably wouldn't come to my place anyway's

Latest posts