• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

branding late calves pictures

Help Support Ranchers.net:

R A

Reaction score
Gathered
11branding.jpg

Sorted....a whopping 4 head of late ones :D ....my numbers are very low,
but this is all I do.....so just a waiting game for bigger numbers. Can't wait!
11branding1.jpg

I hope you don't mind Soapweed....but I took your branding gizmo concept,
and took the technology back a couple hundred years, and had the slickest
one man branding session I've had to date. I can't imagine how slick your set up works!!!
11branding9.jpg

11branding3.jpg

11branding2.jpg

Cattle Master Gold FP 5 and One Shot Ultra 8 ...then again 2 weeks
before weaning. If that is not good...please let me know!!!!
I knife cut this group at birth. I think I will do that to all next year.
11branding8.jpg

11branding4.jpg

11branding5.jpg

11branding7.jpg

11branding6.jpg

As my herd grows....so will my kids :D Can't wait until they can help...should
run even smoother!

I like your style, R A. You have a wonderful ranching enterprise in progress, and a great attitude about life. Hope everything continues to fall into place for you, as it looks like it is doing. The pictures show your area to be just made-to-order for ranching. Is land cheap enough that there will be potential to expand?

Soapweed said:
I like your style, R A. You have a wonderful ranching enterprise in progress, and a great attitude about life. Hope everything continues to fall into place for you, as it looks like it is doing. The pictures show your area to be just made-to-order for ranching. Is land cheap enough that there will be potential to expand?

Thank you Soapweed! If my ranch ever ends up being the smallest fraction of the way yours is, I'll be happy.

With the way things have changed around here in the last few years, I think I'm going to have to put together smaller tracts of land that aren't choice and improve them in order to expand...just keep adding slowly when I can....if I can beat the rich city hunters to them. I've seen a lot of trees being pushed in and pastures going to crops this year around here. Haven't seen hardly any of that until this year. I kick myself for not having my ducks in a row in '07 when I moved here. Pasture all around here happened to go up for sale at the same time in '08.....right by me....I'd of been set, but....

My goal is to gain land and build as big a herd as I can without having to hire help. So we'll see what happens. I do without in a lot of areas and do things the hard way to hopefully get there. In two years my cows and trailer will be paid for....my only payments besides this land payment ....and at that time I will then have this place maxed out cow number wise if my plan goes as planned. So I think then will be the time I can start gaining more ground....hopefully I can.

I'm excited right now to be looking for my second herd bull to buy.....ran one bull in 2010, one bull in 2011, 2 bulls in 2012....30 bulls in 2050.... it's hard to be patient... :D

There was a great feeling of pride out there in the branding corral tonight.

Looks cool, i will have to try, havent kept up, but what does soapweeds look like

Green grass, water and cattle. Perfectly good combination. Look at those city folks moving in as a possible opportunity. Some just might want the fire hazard looked after or the acreage mowed or something along those lines. Looks like you have some pretty capable mowing units ready to go.

RMUG said:
Looks cool, i will have to try, havent kept up, but what does soapweeds look like

Put the word branding in the search deal and look at the threads Soapweed has started.....you'll see it in those threads. Go back far enough and you'll see the version that mounts on a post. ....or with Soapweeds permission, I can go fetch a couple pictures and post them here.

Even just my wood thing worked great, with no physical stress on me and more importantly.....no stress on the calves. From the time I two heeled them, to the time I was done, they really can't do anything and all without the need for wrestlers. I went ahead and put a string on their front feet for the heck of it after I got off the horse.

I would really like to have one like his when I can add another person to my crew.

per said:
Green grass, water and cattle. Perfectly good combination. Look at those city folks moving in as a possible opportunity. Some just might want the fire hazard looked after or the acreage mowed or something along those lines. Looks like you have some pretty capable mowing units ready to go.

You're right per! Could be some opportunties there. If it was a good thing for my girls, then it would be good for me. As long as they weren't going to get messed with or anything might be a great thing......extra hay ground if nothing else maybe.

R A said:
RMUG said:

Put the word branding in the search deal and look at the threads Soapweed has started.....you'll see it in those threads. Go back far enough and you'll see the version that mounts on a post. ....or with Soapweeds permission, I can go fetch a couple pictures and post them here.

Even just my wood thing worked great, with no physical stress on me and more importantly.....no stress on the calves. From the time I two heeled them, to the time I was done, they really can't do anything and all without the need for wrestlers. I went ahead and put a string on their front feet for the heck of it after I got off the horse.

I would really like to have one like his when I can add another person to my crew.

R A, for a one man--one horse crew, your system would outdo our deal. Ours needs at least two people. Here are some photos that were taken way back on June 3rd of 2008, that shows the calf traps and how they work for big older calves. If you have pictures of our calf trap when it was still mounted on a fence post, you are more than welcome to show it. I messed up and deleted those earlier pictures.

Thecrewisready.jpg

The crew is ready.

Someofthecalvesareprettybig.jpg

Some of the calves are pretty big.

Butthecalftrapholdsthemsecurely.jpg

But the calf trap holds them securely

R A looks to me like you've got a great place to run your cows
and with your attitude, you'll manage to get more cows
as you go along. Working toward a goal is sometimes as
satisfying as reaching it. You are going to do just fine!

Keep posting pictures. I enjoy how you use your horse to do
your work. A good horse can sure be a great partner!

Soapweed said:
R A, for a one man--one horse crew, your system would outdo our deal. Ours needs at least two people. Here are some photos that were taken way back on June 3rd of 2008, that shows the calf traps and how they work for big older calves. If you have pictures of our calf trap when it was still mounted on a fence post, you are more than welcome to show it. I messed up and deleted those earlier pictures.

Thanks for posting those pictures in here, Soapweed! I did have the one on a post saved to my pictures at one time....a little embarrased to say that :oops: ,but when I had to convert my computer back to its factory settings awhile back, I lost all the single pictures I had saved. I was a picture saving fool when I first got on here. Started my way at the very start and read my way forward.....my head about exploded with the wealth of knowledge in here.

Faster horses said:

Thanks Faster horses! I hope you're right. You live once I guess and this is how I want to live! Thanks for taking the time to help people on here.

I don't know what I would do without a good horse.

That horse in the pictures and I have been through a lot. He had two weeks on him and hadn't been rode outside yet.....and I didn't know how to saddle a horse. I had rode before though. Anyway, we set out. We go about one hundred yards or so and a bird flies up in some tall grass right by us, he jumped, I some how stayed on, and the rest is history. We've taught each how to team rope, pasture rope, pick-up, break other horses, move a herd, shoot gun horseback, fish horseback, etc,etc. Many hours of great and bad weather have been shared.

R A said:
Faster horses said:

Thanks Faster horses! I hope you're right. You live once I guess and this is how I want to live! Thanks for taking the time to help people on here.

I don't know what I would do without a good horse.

That horse in the pictures and I have been through a lot. He had two weeks on him and hadn't been rode outside yet.....and I didn't know how to saddle a horse. I had rode before though. Anyway, we set out. We go about one hundred yards or so and a bird flies up in some tall grass right by us, he jumped, I some how stayed on, and the rest is history. We've taught each how to team rope, pasture rope, pick-up, break other horses, move a herd, shoot gun horseback, fish horseback, etc,etc. Many hours of great and bad weather have been shared.

Looks like you and your horse make a good team, R A. How old is your horse?

Looks to be working to me......Everyone has to start small and work up. You seem to be learning all you need to keep growing. Dont look back at what could have been or land you should have been ready to buy...there is a reason you were not.
Beautiful horse.

R A said:
I've used One Shot Ultra 8 on my home-raised calves at weaning for a long time. I just give them one round of the One Shot faction since the duration of immunity for the pasturella isn't all that great and I want it in them when they need it most. So, I've always given that one on weaning day, with a booster of plain Ultra Choice 8 a few weeks later (even though I had already used one at branding).

But, last year I had the bright idea to do it just the opposite - vaccinate a few weeks before weaning with the One Shot Ultra 8 and then just booster with the plain Ultra Choice 8 on weaning day. So, they got the pasturella part of the vaccine while still on the cows. I ended up treating several calves for pneumonia in the weeks after I vaccinated and before I weaned. That's the first time that has ever happened. Coincidence? Or blame it on the pasturella while on the cows?

I guess I'll never know for sure because I'll never give it like that again. This year I'll go back to giving the pasturella on the day of weaning.

Soapweed said:
Looks like you and your horse make a good team, R A. How old is your horse?

Thanks! Boomer was born 4/4/97. Got him as a 2yr old. I'm surprised I didn't ruin him. I wanted to know how to ride so bad, I rode him almost everyday for 3 straight years....even through the winter...then lightened up only a little since. I've put him through a lot.

MsSage said:
Looks to be working to me......Everyone has to start small and work up. You seem to be learning all you need to keep growing. Dont look back at what could have been or land you should have been ready to buy...there is a reason you were not.
Beautiful horse.

Thank you! Very sound words you typed there. I appreciate it! I'll take better care of everything now, waiting for it to come, I believe.

today
11fall5.jpg

11fall6.jpg

11fall12.jpg

11fall10.jpg

11fall8.jpg

11fall7.jpg

lol
11fall11.jpg

11fall9.jpg

Texan said:
R A said:
I've used One Shot Ultra 8 on my home-raised calves at weaning for a long time. I just give them one round of the One Shot faction since the duration of immunity for the pasturella isn't all that great and I want it in them when they need it most. So, I've always given that one on weaning day, with a booster of plain Ultra Choice 8 a few weeks later (even though I had already used one at branding).

But, last year I had the bright idea to do it just the opposite - vaccinate a few weeks before weaning with the One Shot Ultra 8 and then just booster with the plain Ultra Choice 8 on weaning day. So, they got the pasturella part of the vaccine while still on the cows. I ended up treating several calves for pneumonia in the weeks after I vaccinated and before I weaned. That's the first time that has ever happened. Coincidence? Or blame it on the pasturella while on the cows?

I guess I'll never know for sure because I'll never give it like that again. This year I'll go back to giving the pasturella on the day of weaning.

Thanks for typing this! Going to go read my labels I have and read on Ultra Choice 8. hmmmmm. I love learning how to do all my own vet work now and have a lot to learn.

RA, without sounding condesending, I am proud of you! A lot of folks stop when things get tough or never start cause things are hard. But folks who love agriculture seem to thrive under pressure. I love seeing how people enjoy ranching even though the work load can be a challenge. My hat is off to you as you continue to build your cattle empire! :D Holler when you decide to branch out in Utah.

leanin' H said:
RA, without sounding condesending, I am proud of you! A lot of folks stop when things get tough or never start cause things are hard. But folks who love agriculture seem to thrive under pressure. I love seeing how people enjoy ranching even though the work load can be a challenge. My hat is off to you as you continue to build your cattle empire! :D Holler when you decide to branch out in Utah.

Man, leanin' H.....I don't know if I feel worthy of such a post. Thank you! I appreciate it! You all or too kind on here! I very much enjoy looking at every one's pictures on here and reading stories. I'll never be running huge open lands like most on here, but appreciate being welcomed by those that do. I don't have a person to person mentor to ask things or guide me. All I know about raising beef is from what I am reading or watching on tv.

You know, I was planning on branching out into Utah with a Western Division of RA Ranch, LLC, right after I bought a squeeze chute....lol...joke, but didn't realize how much they were....priced them today. Sounds silly I know, but I can't spend money like that right now and I really thought I could maybe budget one in this fall....probably chump change to most....lol. Anyway, I'm working on a better way to doctor older stuff out of wood and gates. I don't have a welder yet either. It'll all come together some day!

R A said:
Texan said:
R A said:

Thanks for typing this! Going to go read my labels I have and read on Ultra Choice 8. hmmmmm. I love learning how to do all my own vet work now and have a lot to learn.

If you happen to see this Texan.....So you give them a round of UltraChoice 8 on branding, OneShot Ultra 8 at weaning, then a few weeks later the UltraChoice 8 again?

I went and did some reading to ask better questions, but I don't know if it helped. Still reading to make more sense of my questions I have.

You know, I was planning on branching out into Utah with a Western Division of RA Ranch, LLC, right after I bought a squeeze chute....lol...joke, but didn't realize how much they were....priced them today. Sounds silly I know, but I can't spend money like that right now and I really thought I could maybe budget one in this fall....probably chump change to most....lol. Anyway, I'm working on a better way to doctor older stuff out of wood and gates. I don't have a welder yet either. It'll all come together some day![/quote]

lot's and lot's of cattle have been worked witha wood alley and a headgate,but do yourself a big favor and get a self -catching one especially if your working alone

Latest posts