• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Branding on the desert

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
We worked our calves and vaccinated cows today. The weather was nice, we didn't have a single wreck and the job is done. Even the horses got to laze around as our little bunch didn't require any horsepower to corral them.
DSC00849.jpg

The day was pretty. But there sure isn't much snow left on the Sheeprocks. After a below normal winter for water and a dry spring we are anxious as summer approaches. If any of ya'll have any moisture laying around you aren't using send it this direction. I'll pay for shipping! :D
DSC00853.jpg

Cows and calves standing around waiting on me to get my stuff together.
DSC00854.jpg

Heating the iron thanks to propane.
DSC00855.jpg

When ya have the world's smallest outfit, your crew isn't too big. Just us H's and Mrs. H's folks. We don't need a bunk house. :shock: :lol:
DSC00858.jpg

My better half keeping the alley stocked.
DSC00865.jpg

Some are harder to convince to participate than others.
DSC00866.jpg

The table is set but the invited guest wasn't very happy to be there.
DSC00867.jpg

Begrudgingly waiting for his procedure. I feel exactly like this calf every time i go to the doctor's office. :roll: :shock: :D
DSC00870.jpg

Laying on a brand. And getting told to knock it off!
DSC00889.jpg

We got our table from a great guy who was hanging it up from ranching. He built the table and used it for years. Sadly, nobody in his family wanted to keep running cattle so he sold his place and moved out here to Vernon to retire. We got to know him and his sweet wife as he lives by my parents. When he found out i was looking for a table, he offered his. It works awesome and will have a home here for hopefully a bunch more years. The kids plan a paint job this summer.
DSC00878.jpg

My Dad-in-law runs a couple cows with ours. His iron is electron powered.
DSC00857.jpg

The result of his work.
DSC00860.jpg

"Gus" had a long day today. :lol: He only woke up long enough to critic my work with a branding iron. Since he's new around here he was questioning why the H leans? I told him to zip it or i would run him through with the calves. Then he went back to sleep. What a life! :D
DSC00890.jpg

We got'r done. It's always a good feeling to have them all worked and ready for grass. They head for the mountain Sunday afternoon. Thanks for tagging along.
DSC00888.jpg

Good job done and no human sweat or bovinal stress involved, well done H and crew.

All you were missing was the plaid wool pants. :wink:

I have been trying to send our moisture anywhere but here, you're welcome to all you want for a month or so.

jodywy said:
you caught up yet so you can help build fence , brand drive tractor and still sheep to shear...

Heck, i'm so far behind i will never get caught up Jody! :D I gotta finish fencing for my folks, finish fencing out on the west desert, haul the cows to the mountain, cut pine poles in the Uinta mountains, build some more corrals here at home and up where we summer the cows, ect, ect. :roll: :D But as soon as i get done, i'll be up! :D

leanin' H said:
jodywy said:
you caught up yet so you can help build fence , brand drive tractor and still sheep to shear...

Heck, i'm so far behind i will never get caught up Jody! :D I gotta finish fencing for my folks, finish fencing out on the west desert, haul the cows to the mountain, cut pine poles in the Uinta mountains, build some more corrals here at home and up where we summer the cows, ect, ect. :roll: :D But as soon as i get done, i'll be up! :D
ok

Big Muddy rancher said:
Since getting to know Leanin' H I'm afraid to ask what LB stands for. :wink: :D :D

Alright, the cat is out'a the bag!!!!!! :shock: LB stands for Lazy Bass-turd, or Lookin' Bodacious or Larry's boyfriend! :shock: :D If you look at it again you might see it is a 4B connected. :lol: :lol: :lol: Which stands for Fo-BMR! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: You made me and my wife laugh pal! Thanks!

Re. being 'way behind' on the work, long ago I tried to change from us being a year and a half behind, just forget that and say we are six months ahead! No dice. but still think it is the best way to handle that situation! Gets rid of the pressure, I'm sure!

Fun reading this thread.

mrj

Nice pics and a nice day. Ranching the dry isn't fun and now that you are done branding, I hope it rains for you.
Does that table tip, or is it stationary?

Now that looks like a first class outfit with plenty room to grow
stock are fat and calves healthy and you got a good lookin crew, dont get much better'n that.
Good job on the brands too looks like you could see em through a horse blanket :wink:
good luck

Latest posts