• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

branding

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch said:
kolanuraven said:
leanin' H said:
Hey Sandhusker, Soap and Gcreeck! I've just had a thought! (I guess thats what it was?) Lets head for Kola's place about 2:00 a.m. with a bunch of empty trailers. Soap can run em' in with cake as chum, Gcreek can pop the clutch and head for the salebarn and i'll cash the check! Sandhusker can act as legal counsel in the event that somebody gets after us! It's foolproof! :D :D :D

Ohhhhh...please do!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It would be entertaining---for me---for sure!!! :wink: :wink:

We'll bring Jigs along to keep you entertained. :wink:
That might cost us more than the cows are worth. :p

I'm game if you are!!! :wink: :wink:

One thing is for sure, if anyone levels a firearm towards the cattle sharers, I'm going to tell the Brown Clown, and he'll seize the firearm. The Brown Clown only approves hunting with firearms; protecting property rights is needless because we have no property rights - only a greater good.

Brands are a very cost effective means of securing livestock. Ask an old sheriff like OT and they'll all tell you that a critter wearing iron will be passed over by thieves in favor of slick cattle. Plus, a brand will easily ID cattle to buyers - "Those KL steers sure fed well."

I like tho brand well down the side of a calf as a higher brand
gets opened up occasionally during breeding or bulling. No dampness in the calf's hair or you'll blister/burn the hide. The packers all say a rib brand lowers the hide value, but they don't go your way on that last $.50 "because they're hip branded."

Southernman,

A hot iron brand is the easiest way to prove ownership of cattle. Most of us take great pride in our cattle and our brands, therefore a brand is a perfect way to represent pride of ownership in both the cattle and the brand. A tattoo or and EID tag can also prove ownership without damaging a hide.....take your choice.

Most of us brand on the hip or thigh of the animal. Up high on the hip will cause less loss to the hide at the processing plant. If the brand is on the ribs, then the processing plant may have to cut out the brand which will leave a hole in the hide...which is not good. It ruins that whole side for the hide and leather trade. The shoulder could be another place, but I still prefer the hip.

Be sure you register your brand, prior to branding. In some states it is against the law to brand an animal with an unregistered brand.

Good luck!

saw this on a branding iron ad "trust your neighbors but brand your livestock" makes sense to me

I'm in central Indiana and no brands are required but if you register one it is $25.00 per year and all livestock sold thru the sales are required to be recorded.

This has helped me twice. Once 16 head were stolen while I was away for a few days. The man I had watching them was the thief! When I reported them stolen the State Police found record of 15 head going theu the Indianapolis stockyard at the time I said they were missing and they had my brand ( bacwards G with a W K ) and the ear tags had the numbers I reported missing ( I still think he must have had one butchered ) The prosicuters office allowed him to make restitution and all charges were dropped. This was probably 20 years ago.

Then last spring three hiefers got out and I tracked them for two days, also asking all neighbors. One of my neighbors stated another neighbor had been herding three animals down the blacktop to his house so I went there. When I pulled in the driveway I could see my three standing off from his cows ( mine were the only black animals there) so I knocked on the door and ask him if he had seen my three hiefers. He stated no and I said they are standing right in your barnyard. He stated he had raised them and they were staying there. I pointed out the brands on the left hip and the ear tags. He still said they were his so I pulled out my cell phone to call 911 and get a resolution but he changed his mind.

In my opinion if you do not brand you are opening yourself up to problems, I wish everyone was honest but that is not the real world.

Latest posts