• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Brands and Markings

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mountain Cowgirl

Reaction score
How do you mark your cattle or other livestock now and in the past?

We always used an ear tattoo that my dad had made up a legend for. It had our ID and the number of the mother cow in it. All the cows had horns so it was easy to see from a distance their number when branded on their horns. Our original cows had my great uncle's hide brand plus horn burnt in numbers. Since we had no reason to hide brand our cows, we used the horn brand for easy ID on all future brood cows. None of the neighbors used it so no problem with ID should that become necessary. It never did. It was a real convenience and with a set of binoculars, it saved a lot of time. We could see the entire 40-acre pasture used in calving time from the house. That was nice also to watch for coyotes.

I found this horn many years ago at a ranch rummage sale and bought it for memories.
New Image.jpg

Last edited:
Hide brand and earmarks are the way around this area. Mine is an H leaning slightly to the right, therefore my handle on ranchers. I don't have an earmark. Some outfits do a jaw or neck waddle as well. Never cared for them myself. But we have one neighbor on the mnt who uses them and makes it really easy to see who's cow it is from a long way away.

Last edited:
My Washington brand was N over bar. Here in Oregon they want 3 figures in a new brand. I think I went through 15 requests before they finally approved one. It is E slash lazy D on the right rib. On a calf that takes up nearly the entire rib cage. When they grow up it will be one heck of a big brand.

Latest posts