• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Brands

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Puzzled

Reaction score
@Big Muddy rancher Question: Does your Circle Y look similar to this
Circle Y.jpeg

The top of the Y on this one doesn't touch the circle, I think the shadow makes it look like it does.
This brand belonged to my Grandfather and his brother. Not sure what year they started using it,
would guess maybe early to mid 30's.
They divided the ranch at some point and my Grandfather used the Circle IY, probably even more potential
there for blotting. By the time I came along I don't think my Grandfather still had cattle, but my great uncle
was still using the Circle Y. It is still registered in Oregon with one of my cousins.

Interesting, My Dad used the brand for years and when I wanted it on a different location they wouldn't give it to me, it was they early days of computers and they wanted all letters and numbers I guess so I used the KC that my Dad also had registered, When Dad retired he transferred the Circle Y to my son. When My daughter was looking for a brand they gave it to her on the hip. So it jumped a generation but still in the family

My brand in Washington was N over a bar. After I registered it I found out it was an old historical brand still used on a large ranch north of Roundup MT. Then I had a load of bred heifers I sold using Superior. They went to Nebraska. Word came back from the new owner that the same brand was used on a ranch just a little north of him. Then when I sold out in Washington and moved to Oregon I tried to register that brand. I found out that it was already register by someone over in the Willamette valley.
After about 20 failed attempts at registering a new brand I found out that Oregon now required 3 characters on a new brand. A previous owner put his brand in the concrete in front of the garage. It is a C over U. Of course that is only 2 characters so they wouldn't let me use it. My plan is to put a dot under the CU. It would read c u dot. My late mother in law (Dorthy) was called Dot.

The ranch north of Roundup would be the N Bar at Grass Range. The Elliot family. They are the breeders of Emulation N Bar EXT. EXT was the near perfect bull...except for dispostion. I think he went back to Emulation 31 3 times, but don't quote me on that. Now Sinclair Cattle Co has their cattle.

(Little known and less cared about facts) 🤣😃🤣

Brands are interesting. A friend of mines Grandfather had a ranch near Pilot Rock, the ranch was passed on to her dad.
When her dad passed away she said her Grandfathers brand was burned into the box they buried her Dad in.

I still have my parents brand, but haven't applied it to any cattle for a long time, and I still have the branding irons my Grandfather
and his brother used.

I could be mistaken but I think Texas registers brands by the county, real effective system.

Is it South Dakota that only has brand inspection on one side of the state ?

I could be mistaken but I think Texas registers brands by the county, real effective system.

Is it South Dakota that only has brand inspection on one side of the state ?
There is 265 counties in Texas. Seems like a rustlers paradise. Just register the brand used in several other counties. Go steal cows that already have your brand on them. Once they are out in your pasture you have proof they belong to you. Probably a good thing most rustlers aren't the brightest bulb in the package.

Over here on the westside, I have heard stories about those that don't have brands, they just claim anything
unbranded when the opportunity presents itself.
In the fall when they gathered up cattle running out on the timberlands, any calves without a ear mark or brand
seemed to become the property of who ever got it to their corral first.

It's been 45 years since I've heard of any cattle thieving around here.Too many deputy sheriffs driving around.If my cows get out,I'm called within the first 15 minutes.Too many cars on the highway and too many people living around,scattered throughout the county.Very few places,in my county,over 1000 acres.

The ranch north of Roundup would be the N Bar at Grass Range. The Elliot family. They are the breeders of Emulation N Bar EXT. EXT was the near perfect bull...except for dispostion. I think he went back to Emulation 31 3 times, but don't quote me on that. Now Sinclair Cattle Co has their cattle.

(Little known and less cared about facts) 🤣😃🤣
My cousin managed worked on and managed it for a long time. I worked there summers during college.

In Utah your brand is only good for the location you register it for. Mine is Right Hip. Meaning somebody else can register a leaning H on left hip or right ribs. I don't care for that but that's our state brand law.

In South Dakota do they register brands statewide or just the on the west side ?
Just on the west side. It's a brand inspectors nightmare.
We had a MT friend/brand inspector that went to work inspecting for a sale yard in SD.
He was amazed at what went on. Tried to straighten things out like they would do in MT,
wasn't long before he was gone.

Of course we only heard his side of the story. 😀

Latest posts