• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Braunvieh Cattle

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TLC Farms

Reaction score
Anyone here every raised or dealt with the Braunvieh breed of cattle?
We are looking at possibly getting some and would like to hear any opinions.

I used to run quite a few Braunvieh cattle and found them to be pretty good all around cows. The main strike against them is some of the colour you get when crossing. Tiger Stripes are pretty much a hard sell up here-it's also pretty hard to find breeding stock. One thing I've found is that Braunvieh cows have quite large calves but seem to have no trouble having them. You sure could do alot worse than having a set of Braunvieh/Angus or Braunvieh/Hereford cross cows.

I did alot of readin on braunveih cattle and from what it sounded like they'd make great cows. After two years of reading and looking I found a set of 7, five of which were pure braunveih and 2 that were 3/4 braunveih and 1/4 brahman. I've lost 2 of the 7 during their first calving. The one's I have left dont breed back as quick as all the other cows, and they just dont seem to wanna wean calves. We penned the first heifer cross calves for 3 months to wean them. turned em out and 2 of em went right back to suckin. Penned them again and put "no sucks" in their noses and left those in there for about 6 months. This last working , in july we took the 'no sucks' out and daggum if she didnt go back to suckin her mama who has another calf of her own now. Plus the heifer herself had a calf which she perdy much abandoned. I dont know if my luck with em is just a fluke or what...but you can guarantee I wont be buyin anymore of em, and any hiefers they have no matter what they look like are goin to the sale. Not sayin all braunveihs are bad. But this is just my experience with em.

Latest posts