• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Brazilian processor to add beef export products

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Brazilian processor to add beef export products

By: Pete Hisey

Brazilian food processor Perdigao has reached an agreement with Arantes Alimentos, which operates a major beef slaughter operation, to supply 60,000 tons of beef next year that it will process mainly for export.

Perdigao said that it expects to have 750 cattle per day delivered to its plants, and says the business will add about $120 million to its revenues each year. The contract is for two years with an option year. About 70 percent of the meat will be exported.

Brazil's export push

Brazil is rapidly developing the infrastructure to process more value-added products to boost its profitability. The nation expects to export two million metric tons of beef per year, and the 2005 value should hit $8 billion. "We aren't happy being No. 1 in volume; we want to be No. 1 in income," Marcus Vinicius Pratini de Moraes, head of the Brazilian Beef Export Industries Association, told an audience of Australian beef producers in Brisbane.

Brazil is hard at work attempting to open the Japanese market, which has banned Brazilian beef because of a now-controlled foot-and-mouth disease outbreak. It is providing technical information and sponsoring visits to Brazil by Japanese food safety authorities, Pratini said. "I think we'll very soon be selling in all countries in Southeast Asia," he added.

Dang, and here in North America, we still are stepping on our "johnsons", concerning such contracts! I wonder if the producers involved with such contracts will be better off than selling into the cash market?

Maybe Brasil could start up an organization made up of sales barn owners, to show how the industry is wrong! And how Captive supplies are wrong, cash sales paid for a commodity are the right way to go.

Or maybe they will use efficiencies within the system to create the atmosphere of quality product production, and label it accordingly.

I can't see why they are not afraid of competition, for quality, consistentcy, or verification? Hell, producers in North America are fighting to compete on volume, of an average product (right RCALF). "Please pay me by the pound, quality is over-rated"

We as a North American industry don't have to prove such things, just repeat it enough times. "We have the best BEEF in the world!"

Or, maybe I just look past certain points and look at the "big picture" and all that has happened in the last couple of years!

HAY MAKER said:
Murgen,you have a knack for missing the point don't you?.............good luck

Why don't you explain the point of the post then Hayseed?

Oh yes another competitor R-calf will have to challenge in Cebull's courtroom.

Brazil has been trying to get their beef industry off the ground for many years. They just might get something done soon, but it will be lean trim not grainfed quality beef. If they get the higher quality beef started their costs will skyrocket as ours have and they will have to compete to gain market share.

A huge threat 750 head per day.

Latest posts