• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Breaking horses.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Canadian_Cowgirl

Reaction score
A really good friend of mine and I were talking, He breaks horses, and I asked him how he did it, He said that he puts the saddle on and jumps on. I was like you cant be serious, he said he was. Then i was talking to another one of my friends who breaks horses, and he puts the saddle on and does lots of ground work. Then another guy i know breaks them with a tractor :?. I hear all the techniques work but im wondering which works better. I was always told "take the time for ground work and it will pay off". But my freind says his way works and thats the way hes gunna do it. What do yall think??

Thanks,
Katy

Ground works really important in our books....read Faster Horses posts on the trainer....some really good stuff in there.

Geeezzzz...the guy using the tractor needs to be tied to a tractor himself!!!

I have a cousin who basically starves horses into submission.

Needless to say I can't be in the same room with him :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

It takes time and basic work/ground rules with ANY critter (for future ref. for you...it applies to men also!! :wink: )

kolanuraven said:
Geeezzzz...the guy using the tractor needs to be tied to a tractor himself!!!

I have a cousin who basically starves horses into submission.

Needless to say I can't be in the same room with him :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

It takes time and basic work/ground rules with ANY critter (for future ref. for you...it applies to men also!! :wink: )

Thats what I said and he just said I was to soft! :roll:

Thats horrible, maybe he needs to be starved and see how he likes it!

ill rember that last comment! thanks!! :lol: :lol:

Yeah, Mrs. Greg I read the horse training one, some interesting stuff! Thanks!

Katy

Ground break them first Katy, It will save your bum , head which ever part you are most likely to land on :) I also toss a pair of jeans filled with sand into the saddle before I ever get my old bones on a young horse. I do everything possible to keep from getting killed when breaking colts :)

Judith said:
Ground break them first Katy, It will save your bum , head which ever part you are most likely to land on :) I also toss a pair of jeans filled with sand into the saddle before I ever get my old bones on a young horse. I do everything possible to keep from getting killed when breaking colts :)

I just pay someone else to do it,its not worth one broken bone for me to break a horse.Last episode I had cost about $30,000 and that horse is broke...

Oh Well im plannin to get my freind to do it when\if he comes up! :lol: Put him to work. But i was just wonderin what i should do if he dont come up! there aint many horse breakers rond this here part :p

Katy

Denny,
I think that is called breaking yourself...um not the horse :)

Judith said:

But i have a problem, All my pants have holes in them!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Katy

Flight and fear is the horses biggest problem. Tie around, sack them out, lay them down, all things I like to use. I tie them to their tail both ways at the start, the sack them, then the saddle, tie around again. Best results here, then when the bend is there we introduce the weight!

A dee ring snaffle is my starter, then work from there. Had as many as five colts at once, now I hate colts because the ground is to hard but still do it.

Seasoned horses are my passion now!

CA

There's a pretty good hand at Moosomin I know can put a good start on them for you. I rode with him last summer and he's good with horses. That's not real terrible far from you.

Unfortunately,all ive been doin lately is starting horses(id rather be on somethin educated workin cattle),right now i have 18,yes 18 head of 2 to 5 year olds,and in my opinion,it all depends on the colt,and the riders skill...If you arent a bronc hand,and the colt is wild,yeah get him comfotable with the saddle,and get him driving with the bit and at least stopping and turning,in fact it dosent hurt to do all of em thatta way...But then again,ive had colts that were just naturals,you could have em saddled and riding outside in 2 or 3 days,now they werent what i call broke,but i could manage because of their want to learn and get along....either way,be caerfull....

-Colt

ropesanddogs said:
Unfortunately,all ive been doin lately is starting horses(id rather be on somethin educated workin cattle),right now i have 18,yes 18 head of 2 to 5 year olds,and in my opinion,it all depends on the colt,and the riders skill...If you arent a bronc hand,and the colt is wild,yeah get him comfotable with the saddle,and get him driving with the bit and at least stopping and turning,in fact it dosent hurt to do all of em thatta way...But then again,ive had colts that were just naturals,you could have em saddled and riding outside in 2 or 3 days,now they werent what i call broke,but i could manage because of their want to learn and get along....either way,be caerfull....

-Colt

My old mare was just that.....A friend had 5 2 year olds to get ready for a sale...4 were rotten broncs, but she was real nice...A 15 year old girl with a little help started her...part of the success is the girl would simply ask for something and the mare would do it...Then the girl was happy...not pushing her...She has been one hell of ahorse...Feedlots, outside or arena....I got her for $500.00, the Quincy Dan Breeding was not so popular around here at the time,

PPRM

Latest posts