• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bred heifer prices

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Andy

Reaction score
What are the bred heifer prices in your area? Around here they are 950-1200. The biger earlier calveing heifers are bringing 1200-1250 and the later calveing smaller heifers are 950-1000.

Andy said:
What are the bred heifer prices in your area? Around here they are 950-1200. The biger earlier calveing heifers are bringing 1200-1250 and the later calveing smaller heifers are 950-1000.

Wasn't many at the sale yesterday-neither in heifers or buyers- but the top bunch of nice red angus heifers that weighed 935 sold for $865.....My neighbor up the creek got them...
Some nice same size blacks were around the $850 mark....Some red angus/simmi crosses that were a little bigger- 985lbs- sold for less than $800...They were April/May calvers...

I'm sure the bred sale the first week of April will be much higher- when folks can actually start seeing green grass in the future....

I just got home from looking at a nice set this afternoon. $1325 bred to an Up Stream ranch bull, start calving Feb. 1, and all a good looking uniform bunch.....

I am torn between 20 of these or 30 open heifers. one side I get cash flow and great genetics, other side I get numbers.

any suggestions?

You could have bought 40 of them on superior today for $910 that was a pretty good deal.

jigs said:
I just got home from looking at a nice set this afternoon. $1325 bred to an Up Stream ranch bull, start calving Feb. 1, and all a good looking uniform bunch.....

I am torn between 20 of these or 30 open heifers. one side I get cash flow and great genetics, other side I get numbers.

any suggestions?

Just my free advice and that may be what it's worth! :D But i'd go with quality and cashflow over quanity everytime. Good cattle are good cattle regardless of numbers! If they fit your plans and place, will add to your genetics AND bring ya a check this fall, quit sitting on your hand and BUY!
Hope ya make it work out either way!

they are private treaty Herfs from a pretty decent source, but man.....if this think tanks, that 1325 is gonna look awful dumb!

If it tanks then the quantity option will look stupid as well. The cow business is funny that way. The way I look at it we are either in the game or not. Sometimes we look stupid and sometimes smart. :?

per said:
If it tanks then the quantity option will look stupid as well. The cow business is funny that way. The way I look at it we are either in the game or not. Sometimes we look stupid and sometimes smart. :?
I don't mind making an error...but having the wife remind me of it is what sucks.

per said:
Here's a thought Jigs. Ask her advise and then take it.

If she's a normal woman- the jigs's will soon be vacationing in Hawaii then--and there will be no heifers..

no Hawaii for my wife, she like production. rather spend 10 K on cows that 5K on her house.....

Quality, jigs, quality!!

Quantity cannot replace quality, not even maybe.

Here's a thought for you, if numbers are that important.......................you can run about 10 sheep for one bovine. :D :) :) I realize that's taking it way to extremes, but, for me, there is no substitute for quality. Just my opinion.

Quality for sure,and if their gonna hit the ground runnin' this spring,why wait for 30 average heifers to calve a year from now :???: You can always buy 10 average heifers later if it moves ya'.

The problem is how you define 'quality'-pretty is as pretty does-I've seen some pretty shiny cattle from reputation outfits that were absolute duds-shiny adds and a well greased feed wagon can make things appear other than they are. It's impossible to judge a heifer until she's laid down-spit out a calf and got herself slicked up to rebreed. You might be better off saving some winters feed and spending that money for heifers with calves at side closer to grass time. There's a whole bunch of cattle between poor and excellant that pay bills for alot of people.

The only high priced cattle I want are the ones I'm selling. All a cow has to do is calve and milk. Why would you want to spend 1300+ dollars on a cow when there are decent cattle available for 800 to 1000. Then take the wife on a trip with the $ you didn't spend. :wink:
Good bulls on medium quality cows make a saleable commodity.

not a polled fan, but if I were I would go to my neighbor. Jensen Brothers...

where are Spencers out of

Latest posts