• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bred Heifer Prices

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Heres a chance to get an idea of bred heifer and cow prices...Last week at the local sale they sold about 100 head of nice bred heifers-- top bunch went for $1310-- all were right around the $1300 price....

Montana Angus Female Bonanza VII
The Montana Angus Female Bonanza VII will be held Monday, October 25th at the Public Auction Yards in Billings. The sale will get started at high noon (Mountain). Included in the sale are:

■1006 Bred Heifers (636 AI Bred to TC Franklin 619, 107 AI Bred to Connealy Danny Boy, 263 Pasture Bred to LBW Vermilion Angus Bulls)
■1819 Bred Cows (Bred to sons of TC Franklin, Connealy Danny Boy, Baldridge Nebraska and Vermilion X Factor)

The sale gets underway noon today at PAYS in Billings. You can watch it live on Dish Network Channel 219 or at www.CattleUSA.com!

Oldtimer said:
Heres a chance to get an idea of bred heifer and cow prices...Last week at the local sale they sold about 100 head of nice bred heifers-- top bunch went for $1310-- all were right around the $1300 price....

Montana Angus Female Bonanza VII
The Montana Angus Female Bonanza VII will be held Monday, October 25th at the Public Auction Yards in Billings. The sale will get started at high noon (Mountain). Included in the sale are:

■1006 Bred Heifers (636 AI Bred to TC Franklin 619, 107 AI Bred to Connealy Danny Boy, 263 Pasture Bred to LBW Vermilion Angus Bulls)
■1819 Bred Cows (Bred to sons of TC Franklin, Connealy Danny Boy, Baldridge Nebraska and Vermilion X Factor)

The sale gets underway noon today at PAYS in Billings. You can watch it live on Dish Network Channel 219 or at www.CattleUSA.com!

I'm closing out fat heifers at $1300 and I don't have any breeding expense, preg checking or vet expenses. Looking to get better too. Why breed 'em when you can feed 'em?

Can you carry a heifer in the feedlot from May till now cheaper than you can grass and breed one? We get our cattle finished in a custom lot but run our bred heifer deal at home. Both can be good or not.

I was in and out- and caught portions of the sale--Looks like Joe Goggins and crew did pretty well...Top young cows I saw sell were $1600... Saw quite a few sell around the $1500 mark...Bred heifers mostly in the $1450 range-- altho I saw some toward the end get down in the $1200 range...

Definitely optimism in the cattle industry...

probably had a lot of "pocket bids" from dumb Texans and Okies that he convinced 'em they couldn't live without the great Northern Genetics.

nortexsook said:
probably had a lot of "pocket bids" from dumb Texans and Okies that he convinced 'em they couldn't live without the great Northern Genetics.

Several semi loads of the top priced young cows went to a fellow in Kentucky...

Oldtimer said:
nortexsook said:

:lol:

redrobin said:
Oldtimer said:
nortexsook said:

:lol:

All the top priced lots and the ones they can't get bids on seem to sell to somebody 2,000 miles away that nobody has ever heard of. :roll:

So far in this area, the heifers that someone bothered to preg test have brought $50 to $100 less than they were worth by the lb.
A small group of young dispersal cows brought $1070 in Vanderhoof a week ago.
Shortage of feed and optimism in BC.

There is a big commercial show and sale in 'canadian angus's' hometown this weekend I think-it usually tells the tale on bred prices for up here. Pretty sure we've got ours sold for a decent dollar.

Oldtimer said:
I was in and out- and caught portions of the sale--Looks like Joe Goggins and crew did pretty well...Top young cows I saw sell were $1600... Saw quite a few sell around the $1500 mark...Bred heifers mostly in the $1450 range-- altho I saw some toward the end get down in the $1200 range...

Definitely optimism in the cattle industry...

OT These prices are nothing to brag about. Cattle traders here are buying sheep a $20 each and reselling 100 miles away at sheep markets for 130 each within 10 days. A gooseneck of haired sheep or goats profits $2000.00 per week.
Any 900 pound open heifer brings at the least 92 cents, horns ,4 way dairy cross and any pruebred beef all bring the same for the meat.

i heard about a cow sale in grande praire they went from 450 to 1000 last saturday. bred hfrs i heard were around 875 i have bin thinking of selling mine but hate to sell my cows for 750 dollars what are they worth in the south were there is more feed.

This could be the reason for the depressed prices in Canada....

Drought-stricken B.C. ranchers forced to slaughter breeding cattle

Cattlemen's Association: Herd in steep decline over last five years

By Randy Shore, Vancouver Sun, October 26, 2010

VANCOUVER - The beef cattle herd in B.C. has been in steep decline over the past five years and ranchers are selling off breeding stock for slaughter, mainly due to persistent drought in the province's Interior and the North, according to the B.C. Cattlemen's Association.

"The herd dropped by seven per cent between July 2009 and July 2010 ... and I would bet it has dropped another seven per cent since July," said B.C. Cattlemen's Association general manager Kevin Boon.

"A lot of guys have been losing money since BSE [mad cow disease] and are selling in bigger numbers or their whole herd," Boon said. "We are getting down to about half what we had from our peak time."

The association worries a shortage of breeding stock could leave the industry years from recovery once conditions improve.

"It takes time, money and effort to build a breeding herd, over years," Boon said.

Years of drought and fire damage to grazing lands in the Cariboo and Chilcotin this past summer are forcing ranchers to forgo profit and reduce their herds, according to rancher Judy Guichon, president of the cattlemen's association. Guichon reduced her herd in the Nicola Valley by 15 per cent last year, down to about 650 cows...

more

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Drought+stricken+ranchers+forced+slaughter+breeding+cattle/3725705/story.html

The western Canadian bred stock market continues to signal a greater desire to get out than get in.

Plenty of cattlemen having been looking for an exit from the market with at least a little dignity since 2003, it won't surprise me if herd liquidations continue for another cycle at least.

Time will tell. :)

Maybe not a nice thing to say but every cow that goes to the packer is one better for those of us who are bull-headed/stubborn/crazy or possibly smart enough to stay in.

When commercial bred cows hit $2000.00 there will be a dispersal here. Keep the h/c and start over. :D

ok i gotta weigh in on this subject.here in B.C. we are faced with paying the freight on our cattle going to the praries usualy runs 5-6 cents on calves to lethbridge.we in turn pay the freight on feed coming to us grass (hay landed in my yard is 125/ton i've been quoted upto 140/ton.)60 dollars a ton from dawson creek 450 miles,central alberta drives the cost up more 600 miles.fuel cost is more due to freight in.fertilizer cost in the range of $60/acre.last year i fed the cows from nov 25-may 21.that was a easy winter ,normal is nov 15 -may 23.while we didn't go up in smoke we were burnt up earlier by drought for the last 2 years,and we are a wet area.after putting up with 7 years of hardship brought on by BSE (we are honest and actualy test suspect cattle and admit the results publicaly.)plus the other protectionist schenanigans that have been sent our way over the last decade.we,ve had to be tough to survive.but how long can you expect to go on eating EQUITY.last spring at the cattlemans convention in willams lake the average age was over 60 of the producers in attendance.those that want to exit most definately deserve utmost respect for being survivors this long.

:shock: I have put the word out that I have 70 black angus bred heifers for sale and they are almost gone by word of mouth at $1100 for gate run. I am a little surprised and unclear where this market is headed, i guess no shocker there. :wink:

gcreekrch said:
Maybe not a nice thing to say but every cow that goes to the packer is one better for those of us who are bull-headed/stubborn/crazy or possibly smart enough to stay in.

When commercial bred cows hit $2000.00 there will be a dispersal here. Keep the h/c and start over. :D

Yes same deal here....Simply no where to put them. The cow traders are making the money.

Latest posts