• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Broke Back leg

Help Support Ranchers.net:

joe_stout

Reaction score
What can I do about one of my calfs that has a brake in her (back)leg right above her knee.

Any Ideas would be a great help.
Thank you Joe

joe_stout said:
What can I do about one of my calfs that has a brake in her (back)leg right above her knee.

Thank you Joe

Two words........... VEAL CUTLETS. :wink:

Once we had a heifer calf about 3 weeks old break her back leg right above the hock, but she could still walk and showed no pain after a few days. We went ahead and finished her out took just a little longer, but she always stayed where she could move, sometimes even run a little.

joe_stout said:

Thank you Joe

Hey joe did you know you have a namesake on here. Poor you :!: you have the same name as MR.Haymaker :drink: oh well :roll:

Un less this is an animal that has considerable value I would butcher it as there is a considerable cost in saving ( or trying to ) an animal in this shape.

Sorry for your loss - - one of the hardest things I have had to do was to put my best roping horse down ( bought her off the King's ranch in the mid 1970s - - My Dream Lady) but the vet said a recovery from her broken leg ( Left forleg above the knee) would be a miracle.

We have had to deal with this a few times. What i did was take a piece of pvc pipe that will fit over the leg. Cut the pipe in half lengh wise. Wrap the pipe in cotton and vet wrap for pading. Put it on the calve with vet wrap not to tight to stop blood flow. you can take the pulse at the hoof to check for blood flow. leave on for about two weeks . Work for us.

Your recommends are what I would say to do. I am not sure what your meaning of vet wrap is. When we did this job one time we used the rolls of gauze that had plaster of Paris on it, so all one had to do was wet it. The broken part is never the same but can...umh CAN turn out ok doing it this way. We used to use this gauze with plaster of Paris on ropin steers horns to strengthen them.

Had one a like that a few years ago just left it alone and drained the abcess when nesesary. By fall couldn't tell any thing was wrong. Not saying it works every time but somtimes nature has a way of healing itself.

Just a quick note: Vet Wrap is a bandaging material, it gets put it on after the cast padding and gauze. Stretchy and sticks to itself but nothing else. Great stuff.

I had a calf get in with some nieghbor horses an end up with a similar break. Vet looked at it and said there was no way to cast it as it was too high. He said it would heal by itself. I was almost to the point of putting it out of its misery. However, one day it started putting wieght on the leg.

He seemed to be stunted, but he was also out of a hiefer I bought to feed. She was small to. Ended up weaning him early enough to feed her out. He finished a month ago, graded Choice 2.....

PPRM

The vet in Faith had some castig material impregnated with fiberglass.Sets up quick works great on that kind of break.Ask Jaun about it.

My two cents is: Put the calf in a really small pen or stall. And let it just heal on its own. Maybe something for the pain and antibodics and if it comes to the point it's suffering then dispose of it. Good Luck and let us know what you did, how it turned out and what you would do differant next time...

The best thing to do is absolutely nothing. Look the other way and let mother nature take care of it. Just turn her out in a small pasture with the cow. I swear!

Latest posts