• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Brokedown Mountain??????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mrs.Greg said:
DENNY,you sound just like Greg,thats his exact take on Tim Magraw!He always shakes his head"I don't get what Faith sees in that wanna be cowboy"

Well they say Love is blind. :shock:

:???: Isn't what makes a true cowboy his skill with a horse, his patience, his ablilty to get the job done? I wasn't aware sexuality had anything to do with how well a man sits a horse or takes care of cattle or the land? :???: Another point cowboys don't take care of sheep.........those must be sheepboys?

Most people, and especially Hollywood types, wouldn't know a cowboy if one whacked 'em in the head! Of course, most cowboys wouldn't do that. Sheepboys, maybe. :)

Thing is some of those sheep herders are tough... live in a wall tent all summer on the moutain then in a sheep camp wagon all winter on the high desert. 24-7 not it town saturday night getting drunk...

My grandfather ran sheep thru' the thirties to keep a ranch going and my father herded them. I am not impuning sheepherders, I am impuning Hollywood and their BS stories they put out!

By the way, my mother and father lived in a sheepwagon when they were first married and I myself have spent a few chilly nights in a range teepee.

Don't misunderstand my words until you ask what I am getting at, please!

sheep paid for most of the ranches in Idaho and Nevada, only when the place was paid for did the ranches start going more to cows, for several reasons, mostly wool. Mutton is not a meat of choice for no one!!!! At the end of WWII wool lost out to new fabrics, polyester etc. and the sheep have lost out. Now for facts. One of my Grandmothers favorite stories is the one where they were herding sheep on the divide between Idaho and Montana, Gibbonsville pass to be specific, she over dosed the sour dough and she saw it crawling out of a pannier on a mule behind her. Of course she never said a word but could not wait for camp so she could clean up the mess before anyone (GRAMPS) saw it. I spent many nights as a kid tending Grandpas sheep because something was eating them and he believed it was packs of dogs that our friendly bretheren from town chose to dump out in our neighborhood. He would have us spend the night with the sheep locked in a corral, armed with pellet guns and sometimes a 22. All you need to do is scare them and I don't want you armed with anything that could actually kill something, you might kill one of my ewes. Well after a few nights with NO sleep at all, my brothers and I figured out that this was bigger than us, gee we were 8, 9 and 10 and every night the sheep would go nuts until we got out of our sleeping bags with our RED RYDERS and saved them. Gramps called in a Government trapper after awhile and guess what? he caught a 400 pound bear the first day. Next year, sheep started disappearing again and he wanted us to take care of it for him again. We being so much wiser and more knowledgeable about the world, we went looking for tracks before we said yes. What we found was a bear large enough to pick up a full grown ewe in his mouth and kill it, pack it across a slough on a 12 inch log and bury it when it was done eating. We being the smarter ones of the clan chose not to protect his sheep with our BB guns that time.
Anyway you all started the sheep thing and I will tell you this, IF there were sheep herders of this ilk in central Idaho, they would not have made it home with their flock :wink:

In Wyoming it used to be said that ranchers "run sheep for profit and cows for pride."

My brother-in-law was married to a Basque girl and the Basque really know how to cook lamb. He really likes lamb meat as a result. They can fix it soooo good.

Not trying to say anything beats beef, (it doesn't) but lamb butchered and cooked properly can be mighty tasty.

My granddad told about the summer of 1918 he was camp jerk for a band of Coveys on little gerys river. He said he once had sour dough in everything that could hold it.He said he shot a bear one day , and when the herder came back to camp they went to look at it. It was a sow and there were two bawling cubs there they caught.Another herder took and raise the cubs up that summer. But my Granddad said he was unable to ever shoot another bear. a couple years later he bought a cow permit on the Little greay which we ran till 1982, we run on the Cariboo now just out the gate.
My Granddad brother Partnerd up with Covey , Bagley and Daton. They had 38 winter bands of 2000 head bands. Basily Sweetwater ,Linclon , Unita,Subblet and Teton counties held thier range.

My point wasn't that cowboys work harder then sheep hearders my point was cowboys don't run sheep. Here everyone have a chill pill. :!:

Latest posts