• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Brrrrrrrr!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Manitoba_Rancher

Reaction score
Thursday..Sunny. Wind becoming north 30 km/h late in the morning.
High minus 28. Extreme wind chill minus 47

Now this is cold!!! Have to get up and check on the cows that are calving every couple of hours through the nite. Were not used to this cold this winter!!

:D We are gonna have an 80 degree day here in Texas but there is always a downfall here in Texas cause we aint got no rain.

Sorry to hear about those long cold days for yall up in the North.

Cold as hell here today, supposed to be a whole lot colder tomorrow. If the wind would only stop blowing, it might be tolerable. Good thing there's only 12 cows left to calve, 4 or 5 up close, and I've got plenty of room in the two barns to put them all for the next couple of nights. But geez, it sure could warm up again real soon! Hate winter, hate winter, hate winter!!!!!

I agree with you Shelly, these long cold nights are hard on a person when youhave to get up the next morning and feed everything up again and do the night thing over again :roll: We must like it or we wouldnt do it. :?

MR- Have to go to town tomorrow for a Dr's appointment and to take in some of the bred cow sale- then since the truck don't know how to pass the water hole, I'll probably have to stop in...While I'm sitting next to that wood stove drinking a little Rye and telling lies, I'll be thinking about you calving :wink: :lol: :lol: And praying for a beatiful March-April....

This could be a rough week on my liver- went to town yesterday to get a Valentine (and keep out of the doghouse) and saw a couple fellas from just north of the Line that I hadn't saw since fall- had to stop for one drink (No Canuck has ever stopped at one)-- then my old bull buddy stopped in- then a couple neighbors etc. etc. After 3 hours I finally got home with the card and some stinkem to stay in fairly good graces......

I sycronized 40 heifers to calve 2-14 yesterday so far we have 17 calves and they keep coming I have every pen in the barn full and set up some panels in the alley for more.Tommorrow I will load up all the pairs and take them back to the farm.Other than the cold it's going well had one with a leg back and have assisted with a couple others.The Bushwacker calves are a little bigger but they look good.The Bando 9074 calves have averaged 68#s and they are thrifty hit the ground running.

Denny,

I was at a sale once and was real impressed by the temperment and classy look of the Bushwacker bulls going thru. I didn't have a catalog, was there to visit friends and eat a steak, lol. However, I did refer someone to them who ended up buying a 6I6 bull that they pulled from the sale because they had to remove a wart, so I earned my steak in a way......

I filed away the impression.So, the next year I get hte catalog and didn't find one that wa suitable. Seemed they tended to have bigger BW than I liked. So, have you had any troubles? I also don't necessarily remember the carcass numbers being that great, not bad just not great, but maybe I am wrong. What have you found that you like about them the most?

PPRM

PPRM said:
Denny,

I was at a sale once and was real impressed by the temperment and classy look of the Bushwacker bulls going thru. I didn't have a catalog, was there to visit friends and eat a steak, lol. However, I did refer someone to them who ended up buying a 6I6 bull that they pulled from the sale because they had to remove a wart, so I earned my steak in a way......

I filed away the impression.So, the next year I get hte catalog and didn't find one that wa suitable. Seemed they tended to have bigger BW than I liked. So, have you had any troubles? I also don't necessarily remember the carcass numbers being that great, not bad just not great, but maybe I am wrong. What have you found that you like about them the most?

PPRM

Last year all I got was heifer calves out of him they are long bodied when they are at the bunk they are a ft. longer than my other heifer's they are very deep and not overly tall.Last year the birth weights were all under 80#s this year they are all under 80 except the last one I need to weigh him in the morning but he's near a 100#s he is from a shoshone viking bred heifer and they tend to have larger birth weights.I will be keeping 3 or 4 of them for bulls.Birth weight's don't scare me as long as the calf is built to be born long and smooth.

Thanks Denny,

It could be that they are going for size a bit and breeding him to some high BW cows. Had a friend tell me he had a cow that would throw 90-95 pound calves no matter what he bred her to. This oneranch is the only one I have seen push the Bushwacker. They sure were classy looking calves and pretty calm compared to the other calves going through th ring,

PPRM

I know that the weather here can't compare to a lot of ya'lls bad weather, but the other half has been out in this all night, calving (it is in a new barn, with insulation, electric heat and a kitchenette ) but I am worried half to death. The radio is dead, he has a really good horse under him, and the tractor/plow just went by. :D But it is four miles up there and I doubt his relief can get even here, much less there. :(
"What are we doing here, Monte?"
"Cowboying, Chet, it's a helluva life"

Denny: In reference to your Bushwacker calves being a little bigger. We used Paramount Ambush back in 1994 and his calves were not so big but were born with alot of chest and mass. He was not what I would call a sleep at night heifer bull. But his duaghters have stood the test of time being very gentle and fertile as well. We still have quite a few of them left.

I would be interested in what you thnink of your 9074 calves in about a month or two as I am interested in using him.

WB said:
Denny: In reference to your Bushwacker calves being a little bigger. We used Paramount Ambush back in 1994 and his calves were not so big but were born with alot of chest and mass. He was not what I would call a sleep at night heifer bull. But his duaghters have stood the test of time being very gentle and fertile as well. We still have quite a few of them left.

I would be interested in what you thnink of your 9074 calves in about a month or two as I am interested in using him.

Remind me about it and i will give you an update.They come out so small and frail looking it makes you wonder but after a few days their fat little farts and it's darn cold here..I was thinking after I used him maybe it was'nt the best bull but so far so good.The cows we A.I.ed are bred to 6595,Freightliner and Sitz value they are due 3/15.I hope we got a good take on those I am basically breeding for bulls to use in my own herd and would like more heifer calves kind of heavy to the bulls so far.

Latest posts