• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

BSE testing debate heat up again 12.20.2006

Help Support Ranchers.net:

flounder

Reaction score
BSE testing debate heat up again 12.20.2006

By Larry Thomas —The debate over voluntary testing of carcasses for BSE flared up again in Alberta last month and was to be thrashed out at the annual meeting of the Alberta Beef Producers (ABP) before this issue arrives in your mailbox.
It was the third time cattle producers have tried to get their elected representatives to call on government to approve BSE testing.

This time, the debate had some added fuel as a new study done for the ABP showed producers lost an average $512 on cull cows sold after BSE hit in 2003. A situation that isn't likely to improve so long as the U.S. border remains closed to Canadian OTM (over 30 month) cattle.

The study only added to the general feeling of discontent brought on this fall by slumping cattle markets and fears that Canada is once again becoming overly reliant on the U.S. market at a time when the Congress is dominated by more protectionist Democrats. Some see BSE testing as the only way to regain unfettered access to markets like Japan where testing proponents claim the opportunity exists to export $1.5 billion worth of beef per year.

Producers in Okotoks, Alta., asked the Canadian Cattlemen's Association (CCA) to at least try to find out if foreign markets would accept a BSE-free product. "I submit that ABP's and CCA's complete reluctance and refusal to discuss BSE testing has helped to hold this captive market on OTM beef," Cam Ostercamp, president of the grassroots Beef Initiative Group, told the meeting. "We've been deadlocked in this … argument for 3 years over BSE testing. I can't prove it's going to work, you can't prove that it won't work. So if, at the very least, ABP and CCA were to pressure the Canadian government into officially asking the question, maybe we could get an answer."

CCA president Hugh Lynch-Staunton concedes asking the question may bring closure to this issue. "But that does not change the basis for why we do not support BSE market access testing and those arguments against testing remain valid today," he says.

Based on its own surveys the CCA believes allowing BSE testing for exports would encourage Canadians to ask for the same assurances. That, in turn, could lead to testing of all carcasses as packers move to protect their own brands and avoid exposure to future liabilities.

"Then it becomes an added cost and a major one at that. Not just the cost of the test and process but the logistical costs of those false [BSE] positives stopping the lines in packing plants," explains Lynch-Staunton. "And the test is not a definitive one. Producers must be made aware of this important fact. It can build a false sense of security. The issue of food safety is to remove that Specified Risk Material (SRM) and if you do that it shouldn't be a problem."

Surveys done for the Beef Information Centre show Americans and Canadians are not concerned about BSE in beef. However, the same data suggests BSE testing for exports would create competitive issues within Canada's food service and retail sectors that would add costs and make beef less competitive with pork and poultry.

The test kits alone run between $18 and $30 apiece. But plant costs would also be substantial, especially the charges for handling false positives in large operations. At some point in-line testing would have to be implemented. Once the head is removed, the carcass as well as blood, organs and offal would have to be gathered and held along with the carcass until they were cleared. And whenever a false positive showed up the entire batch would have to be held for a second test.

Would the CCA change its tune about BSE testing if the U.S. continues to stall the passing of their rule on OTM cattle and beef?

"It's that Rule 2 and cows that remain a big concern to us," says Lynch-Staunton. "Quite frankly, I guess I wouldn't mind exporters testing if I didn't have the strong suspicion it would become the norm. And that extra cost would fall onto the shoulders of producers."

Finally, the CCA says science must set the rules. "We take a real risk when we depart from the best science because our credibility is based on honesty," says Lynch-Staunton. "If we start playing games with people some day I think that could come around to bite us."

Posing the question
Ted Haney, president of the Canada Beef Export Federation (CBEF), recently looked into how a question from Canada about BSE testing would be received in foreign markets.

In Japan, for example, it would be sent first to Japan's Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forests. From there it would be passed to the Food Safety Commission and then to their prion expert committee for consideration. The decision would work back slowly in reverse order.

"Because that request would be inconsistent with our current rules for access to Japan, it would have to be a new assessment by the Japanese; either an amendment or a completely new deal," Haney explains.

A period of public consultation would almost certainly be required at some point in the process as well as technical assessments by experts from outside the department. The Japanese would also require government monitoring of the process and certification by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency so new procedures would have to be drafted, negotiated and approved by both governments.

Haney says CBEF has no official position on BSE testing, but has sampled opinion in Japan.

"The Japanese assessment shows retailers would appreciate this testing because it would allow Canadian beef to be sold on the same basis as domestic beef," says Haney. "They believe consumers would respond positively to it because they've already become accustomed to purchasing domestic BSE-certified beef."

From the trade perspective, Haney says Japanese importers and Canadian exporters believe BSE testing would be received positively if it results in a higher percentage of Canadian carcasses qualifying for Japanese export. It would address year-round supply challenges, especially for well-marbled, grain-fed Canadian beef.

Of course, those attitudes might change if Japan drops its own policy of testing every carcass for BSE. The budget runs out on that program in August 2007.
If they don't stop testing altogether they may reduce the cost by testing only animals of 24, 26 or even 30 months of age. Last month USDA secretary Mike Johanns said he would ask Japan to remove the age limit on imports of U.S. beef rather than extend it to 30 months because age is no longer part of the international standard for meat shipments. Wish he would pass that news along to his underlings at the USDA.

http://www.agcanada.com/custompages/stories_story.aspx?mid=31&id=1050

holy mad cow, you would think that gw and johanns were up in canada running there ag department.
a mirror of the usda's theology of saying to hell with public health, lets just shove all this potential BSE/TSE tainted product down the throat of every consumer out there, home or abroad. what they don't know, will not hurt them. besides, if we test, we will find, this has been proven, so DONT TEST. seems to be the going thing now with GWs and OIEs BSE MRR policy. ...TSS

Governments have been afraid of what general testing would most certainly uncover - a clear and present danger in the national herds of both Canada and the United States of America. That danger being BSE.

Once uncovered and proven to be wider spread than previously imagined, then the arguments and excuses that have been put forward such as limited numbers of BSE (therefore the need for general testing is not warranted) would fail. The cost of testing may not be as high as they think it is and the potential return is higher than they can currently imagine.

What really fries my ass about the CCA is their name: Canadian CATTLEMAN'S Association. The theory is that they are put in place to do the cattleman's bidding, or communicate to Ottawa what the cattlemen want. Yet, in the case of BSE testing, the CCA refuses to do so, even though virtually all the members of the individual producer associations want to ask Japan about testing for market access. The CCA president has already made his arguements about why he thinks its a bad idea, but the producers have spoken and its time for him to shut the hell up, put his personal feelings aside and do as the producers want. Its time for the CCA to stop pandering to the packers and start representing producers, which is what their original mandate called for.

Rod

...rod... thats sometimes to me is the the whole joke about the situation...these guys on the boards promote free trade but yet restrict tools for others that are looking for ways to sell their product... go figure...

blackjack said:
...rod... thats sometimes to me is the the whole joke about the situation...these guys on the boards promote free trade but yet restrict tools for others that are looking for ways to sell their product... go figure...

blackjack-- A while back I posted some quotes of Thomas Jefferson...If you read about Jefferson he actually truly believed in wide open free and fair trade--but being a reallist he said it is impossible to accomplish on an even level...

He said there will always be areas trying to get an advantage for their product- so that is why he supported trading for and importing only what had to be (could not be found or produced in your own country) and promoting your own countries products first....

to me one of the biggest problems is that when a producer organization is formed the margin operators move in and say let's make it an industry umbrella group so we'll have more voice with politicians and consumers. the producer interests end up being lost and the rest of the chain takes over. cca and ncba are prime examples and yo see it in the grain sector as well.

"It's that Rule 2 and cows that remain a big concern to us," says Lynch-Staunton. "Quite frankly, I guess I wouldn't mind exporters testing if I didn't have the strong suspicion it would become the norm. And that extra cost would fall onto the shoulders of producers."

I don't buy that for a minute. Why would voluntary BSE testing be any different than voluntary hormone free or voluntary organic? Hormone free and organic are "extras" and consumers either pay for that "extra" or they buy the "regular". The more choices you give consumers, the more beef they're going to buy.

"Finally, the CCA says science must set the rules. "We take a real risk when we depart from the best science because our credibility is based on honesty," says Lynch-Staunton. "If we start playing games with people some day I think that could come around to bite us."

I disagree about science setting the rules. I think the person writing the check sets the rules. When any of us go grocery shopping, how much weight does sound science figure in our purchases? We buy what we want, it sometimes it makes no sense at all. My wife was buying purple ketchup for my kids because that is what they wanted. It made no sense - it was the same as red and cost more, but she bought it and the kids liked it. Let the markets decide what is traded, not scientists.

Beef customer: "But you BSE test for that country and they pay the same price I do. Give me 5% off or test mine too."

Jason said:
Beef customer: "But you BSE test for that country and they pay the same price I do. Give me 5% off or test mine too."

WTO: "Stick to whatever your current countries' BSE testing requirements are for local beef, or face a lawsuit."

And if you mean our local consumers, its obvious that BSE testing isn't anywhere near the top of their troubles list, so beginning testing for Japan is not going to mean that we have to test for local access.

Rod

Sandhusker said:
My wife was buying purple ketchup for my kids because that is what they wanted. It made no sense - it was the same as red and cost more, but she bought it and the kids liked it. Let the markets decide what is traded, not scientists.

Let's see......red vs purple.......red vs purple? I know, let's go with purple and pay a higher price!!! I agree, purple does look much better than red. There's hope in your household yet. Mighty smart kiddos you've got Sandhusker.

I'll have to see if they can help me influence your BSE testing stance.......

Jason said:

Reply to Beef Customer, "They don't pay the same price you do. Extra's cost more."

Beefman said:
Sandhusker said:
My wife was buying purple ketchup for my kids because that is what they wanted. It made no sense - it was the same as red and cost more, but she bought it and the kids liked it. Let the markets decide what is traded, not scientists.

Let's see......red vs purple.......red vs purple? I know, let's go with purple and pay a higher price!!! I agree, purple does look much better than red. There's hope in your household yet. Mighty smart kiddos you've got Sandhusker.

They equate eating purple ketchup with the Huskers eating the Mildcats. :wink:

Don't think you'll change my stance on testing. I believe in free markets, not government Central Planning. I've also seen how not being allowed to test has hurt our markets today and jeopardized our markets tomorrow - we don't have to guess anymore.

Sandhusker said:
Beefman said:
Sandhusker said:

They equate eating purple ketchup with the Huskers eating the Mildcats. :wink:

Don't think you'll change my stance on testing. I believe in free markets, not government Central Planning. I've also seen how not being allowed to test has hurt our markets today and jeopardized our markets tomorrow - we don't have to guess anymore.

You would think that now- going on 4 years that EVEN the NCBA folks would/could see that the AMI/Packer bought USDA export and marketing policy has not/is not working :roll: :( :( :x

...seems to me that it would be hard to argue with oldtimer and sandhusker on those statements...

...jason...if all you lost would have been 5% of your income the last 4 years ago would you not have taken the alternative...i think its a no brainer cause we have lost a heck of lot more than that...stats after a while don't lie...somewhere in the system ate that 175 bucks a head up... you tell me who it was... most cow -calf guys i talk to do...or if testing would not open markets at least it would have been nice to see the cca or abp have the balls to tell their members ...instead of watching their equity get chewed up like bubble gum...

EVALUATION OF A RAPID ANTE MORTEM BSE TEST

Scientific Report of the

Scientific Expert Working Group of the European Food Safety Authority on

Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy (TSE)1

Adopted on 27 November 2006

Question N° EFSA-Q-2003-084

Summary

The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) and its Scientific Expert Working Group on

Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy (TSE) Testing were asked by the European

Commission (EC) to take over the mandate of the former Scientific Steering Committee (SSC)

for the scientific evaluation of rapid TSE/BSE (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy) tests. At

present 12 rapid BSE test kits are approved by the EC for the post mortem testing of

slaughtered cattle in accordance with the TSE Regulation (EC) No 999/2001. Following an EC

call for expression of interest in the Official Journal of the European Union (No C15) on 22

January 2003, several parties indicated their interest in participating in the third European

evaluation exercise for newly developed rapid post mortem and live animal TSE/BSE tests.

Expressions of interest were invited from those who had tests in advanced stages of

development or available for use for the diagnosis of BSE in live cattle. Applications were

received from six companies presenting six different tests. In order to ensure that useful tests

would be widely available, applicants were also requested to give assurances that they were

prepared to make their tests available on a non discriminatory basis following the evaluation. A

panel of external scientists assessed all applications based on the pre-defined criteria, covering

e.g. the scientific basis of the test, available experimental evidence, practicality of the sampling

and testing procedures and stage of development of the test. Following this assessment 1 test

was selected for the evaluation exercise. This joint application was presented by two

companies: Scil Diagnostics GmbH, Martinsried, Germany and DiaSpec GmbH, Freiburg,

Germany for the "AquaSpec BSE" rapid ante mortem test. Evaluation was based on the EFSA

Scientific Report on the Design of a Field Trial Protocol for the evaluation of BSE Tests for

Live Cattle adopted on 1 July 2004. On 10 October 2006, EFSA has received the report of the

European Commission's Institute of Reference Materials and Measurements (IRMM) on the

evaluation of DiaSpec's rapid ante mortem BSE test (IRMM, 2006).

Based on the overall assessment covering the application dossier and a phase I laboratory

evaluation, the experts of EFSA´s Working Group on TSE Testing express their opinion on the

1 For citation purposes: Scientific Report of the European Food Safety Authority on Transmissible

Spongiform Encephalopathy (TSE) on a request from the European Commission on the evaluation of a

rapid ante mortem BSE test, The EFSA Journal (2006) 95, 1-14

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/etc/medialib/efsa/science/tse_assessments/bse_tse/report_ej95_animal.Par.0002.File.dat/biohaz_sr_ej95_live_animal_bse_test_summary_en.pdf

SEE FULL TEXT ;

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/etc/medialib/efsa/science/tse_assessments/bse_tse/report_ej95_animal.Par.0001.File.dat/biohaz_sr_ej95_live_animal_bse_test_en.pdf

SEE OTHER EVALUATIONS ON BSE RAPID TEST HERE;

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/science/tse_assessments/bse_tse.html

TSS

Latest posts