• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bud box or sweep tub.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
the welder hanging a new powder river gate Bulls bent up the old one last spring) down at the corral. Said he didn't like my Bud Box it needed to be curved and round. He didn't Like when I told him sweep tubs are for people without cows' sense. But then I said they like a bud box over fill either one, and neither of them works right.

Wether it's a sweep or a box or a horse and a rope, it makes no never mind if the people using the tools don't know what they are doing. Been more cattle worked without corrals than can be counted. A good crew that can handle cattle smoothly and like they should be handled, can sure make it look easy. A bunch who have zero experience or can't do much can mess up any operation, regardless of the facilities

the welder hanging a new powder river gate Bulls bent up the old one last spring) down at the corral. Said he didn't like my Bud Box it needed to be curved and round. He didn't Like when I told him sweep tubs are for people without cows' sense. But then I said they like a bud box over fill either one, and neither of them works right.
Friends in SE Montana built a Bud Box. They really, really like it, but they are hands. They have neighbors who can't just let the cattle work themselves. It's a hard concept for people who like to hurry and make a lot of noise. Just don't overfill with cows going in and the cows work themselves. They really do love it, but they have to have the right help when they use it.

Wether it's a sweep or a box or a horse and a rope, it makes no never mind if the people using the tools don't know what they are doing. Been more cattle worked without corrals than can be counted. A good crew that can handle cattle smoothly and like they should be handled, can sure make it look easy. A bunch who have zero experience or can't do much can mess up any operation, regardless of the facilities
there a reason packing plants have curved allys and sweeps

23334242_1512368038842128_2699572802805124315_o.jpg

Exactly. When I design , I try to read the cow sense of a customer. A lot of people need a gate between them and the Livestock

I believe that there is a place for each! Our setup has a bud box in the center and tubs on each end. One sweep leads to the crowd and squeeze chute, the other goes to the trailer load out and loading chute. Pens on each side feed into the center of the bud box. Walking past the cattle in the box starts the movement and momentum to fill the tubs and the swing gates on the tubs discourages them from trying to circle back and puts a safety gate between the cattle and crew when the cattle are being crowded into the chute or truck. The combination works smoothly as long as no one gets in too much of a hurry or over fills things and the chance of someone getting hurt is greatly reduced.

Latest posts