• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bud box question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

We don't load semi's but we load off the alley a lot and once they have caught on to the system they flow thru pretty well they load better than a wide alley and the whole door opened up. I cant see where loading a semi off off our alley would be any problem my alley is about 30' long when working cows it works best to bring 6 at a time maybe seven. but when loading we'll bring them all at once so for our big trailer that's 17 cows once they start flowing its like water thru a hose.Mine have been thru it enough a lot of cows just turn and go right up the alley never going into the bud box slickest thing I've ever constructed.

Nicky said:
How do they work for semi loading?

I designed one for Andrew Clarke in Ellensburg. It was more of a "Parallel Box" due to the way the road and corals played out. They Love it. By Love it, I mean everyone thats been around it makes certain to tell me they do.

The biggest thing about these is you want flow in your cattle. If you have runaways or balling up cattle, it may work but isn't ideal. IMO, ideal is if cattle are used to responding to you as to going by or holding up. I like a system that creates cattle coming by you several times before an alley or load out.

The whole Bud Williams thing is pretty well predicated on moving or working cattle from the front. If your cattle are used to your dogs bringing them to you, you have a leg up on the whole thing IMO.

PPRM said:
Nicky said:
How do they work for semi loading?

I designed one for Andrew Clarke in Ellensburg. It was more of a "Parallel Box" due to the way the road and corals played out. They Love it. By Love it, I mean everyone thats been around it makes certain to tell me they do.

The biggest thing about these is you want flow in your cattle. If you have runaways or balling up cattle, it may work but isn't ideal. IMO, ideal is if cattle are used to responding to you as to going by or holding up. I like a system that creates cattle coming by you several times before an alley or load out.

The whole Bud Williams thing is pretty well predicated on moving or working cattle from the front. If your cattle are used to your dogs bringing them to you, you have a leg up on the whole thing IMO.
Do you have a picture or drawing of it? Sounds like what we are thinking of doing.

I do. I tried to post it here before. However, I wasn't able to take a PDF and make it come through like a picture. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it.

our budbox continues on into an 'L'

a gate is hung on inside corner of 'L'

If it's shut across the bud box, it makes box 10' shorter

it also latches 90 degrees farther, which makes the box longer and starts crowding cattle into trailer loading. I got them latches that latch from either side, when loading trailers, the little deals that latch are pinned up, you swing gate right thru latch. I'm talking about the 'first' latch, continue swinging and latch on second one to load.

this deal works pretty good, still needs one more man gate--I swore long ago, anyplace I've Ever crawled over the fence gets a gate!

with some cattle, the little bit longer box helps.

I had numbers that said to make alley 10' wide if always on foot, 12 if foot or horse, 14 if mostly horseback

our alley is 12', when we added box on the end we made it 10---due to existing construction.

I think 12' would be better.

we like box better than tub, plus built it with stuff already had around

Littlejoe, if you are talking about my drawing, it's more of a parallel box than a Bud Box. It was due to existing facilities. However, it still uses a lot of principles. Cattle feel like they are going back where they came from. They are also moving in relation to the person moving them. They are drawn by the group of cattle they just came from.

I do believe the ranch ended up with a bit longer box. It is operated by one guy and his dog.

I've always been a fan of bud boxes but their limitations , after being around several for a few years, is the help in the back. If they aren't experienced hands with a decent level of cowsense, (the hands in the back) sometimes they don't work too well. If someone is bring the cattle up that has some ability, they are great.

Way too often, you see somebody fairly inexperienced working the back. Try to use too much force, hot shots, don't understand cows.

Turns into a negative experience for everybody involved--both cows and people.

Built mine 10x20, can be a little tight with flighty cows when you're on foot. Next will be 12x24 I think. I'm amazed how small calves handle and go in one.

+10 on the help in the back, not everyone can or should run a bud box IMO.

One of the benefits of a small "herd" of 18 cows and one bull is they will follow me about anywhere I go. If I want to put them thru a chute I will feed them in the loafing shed for a couple of days ( one square bale a day is enough ) close the gate and leave the only way out thru the open chute. A couple of days and all walk willingly to the chute.

I know this will not work for most of you as your numbers are to large but I thought if there is someone else with a small group they might like to try this. Sure makes life easier around here.

They are like magic on calves, it's unreal how well small calves up to bred heifers work in ours. The cows get better after they've done it at time or two, the old cows are the biggest pain as they will not go under the "no-back" in the alleyway.

Latest posts