• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Buffalo

Help Support Ranchers.net:

sw,

I agree with you completely instead of teaching our kids to make excuses for why they didn't win we need to teach them that if they don't they like the results that if they work a little harder or try a little more they can head in the direction that they want to go in

CattleRme, that problem has existed forever. It is just something everyone has to deal with. There really isn't anything that can be done about it either. Sometimes the kids can't ride the expensive horses and get beat anyway...and you feel like justice is done. But that doesn't always happen either.

Just this past summer I helped judge the Queen Contest at our local fair. One girl was dressed to the nines and had a pretty fancy horse, which she could not ride very good. In the interview, we asked her some things and come to find out, Gramma did everything with the horse that needed done. Worming, feeding, shoeing etc. Needless to say, this girl lost and she or anyone in her family was not very happy.

On the other hand, we had a little ranch girl in the contest and her bit maybe wasn't quite right and she wasn't dressed up enough to be a queen contestant, but you could just SEE that she and her horse were partners. They did really well in the horse part of the competition. When we interviewed her, I asked her, "you ride your horse alot don't you?" She smiled a special smile and said, "yes I do. He is my best friend."

So it didn't matter if she won or not, she was happy and so was her horse. That to me, is the very most important thing of all. Being happy with what you have. That is what kids need to be taught and some of them already know. Competition can be tough, but it isn't what life is all about.

The gal whose grandma was doing all the care, odds are she was doing this for her family more so than herself,

Nothing like a girl with a true passion for her horse, but those gals can be spendy, LOL,

PPRM

Very well said, sw and faster horses, I couldnt agree more, it's not about what yer parents can buy you to show, (or whatever in life) its, are you willing to work towards a personal goal.......to me if you reach your own goal, your a winner, that's why no matter what place our daughter gets, that's not what's important, she's havin a good time, doin somethin she loves, and always has a smile on her face while doin it, and learns from her mistakes, and tries to improve on it the next go round. And has made some wonderful lifelong friends. The trophy's and buckles are all just icing on the cake when they do come along.....

Latest posts