• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

BUGGY HORSE ONLY TROTS.....HELP?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RHR said:
Curly, I'm not sure who had the horse before I got her. She is 5 this spring and the guy I got her from had her for about a year. She could have come from the Amish or was trained on the track to trot. She is getting better about walking but needs a few miles before she likes to slow down. I do plan on having a vet look at her teeth as she DOES NOT like the bit and will either throw her head to the left or hold her head to the left while driving her. Thanks again for all the ideas. We are making progress.

When your checking her teeth, check her eyes too. She might not see to good out of one eye and therefore carry her head tipped to see with her good eye.

that is what is neat about the world.everybody has own opinion. What about those of us who can no longer ride?
The onlty time I ride now is when I'm pulling a pack string.

One other little thing I thought about, check the bit and see if something is pinching her mouth. You might check her mouth too. You should see something right at the corners or on the very inside of the corners. It could be as simple as a bit that pinches.

FH, I was wonder the same thing. I'm not sure what type of bit a driving horse should have but I'm going to try something other than the snaffle bit I currently am using.

They mostly do drive horses in snaffles, so that they don't hurt the bars of their mouth and make them really hard mouthed. Anyway, as far as I know.

Are you using a ring snaffle? There shouldn't be anything there that would pinch, but do check it out. If you are using a snaffle mouthpiece with a little shank, that could be the problem. All you need is a hose washer to put where the mouthpiece meets the shank.

I hope you figure it out. If the bit is causing her pain, that might be why she is wanting to really travel, too. Pain causes horses to do many undesirable things.

I have been working heavy boned horses in harness for 30 yr now.
I use a snaffle on all mine.

If your horse is throwing head to 1 side mebe you are putting more pressure on that line?

Floyd,

Welcome to Ranchers.net! Are you on the Oregon or Washington Side of the Gorge? I actually live near Hermiston....

PPRM

Latest posts