• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bull breeds

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Looks like I'm the only crossbred guy here... :shock:

We use composites for steers unless we are trying for a replacement - then we AI a Simmental bull on a Angus cow.

We use the crosses because we don't want any of those scrawny pinchy-butted Angus running around on the place! :wink:

Sandhusker said:

We use composites for steers unless we are trying for a replacement - then we AI a Simmental bull on a Angus cow.

We use the crosses because we don't want any of those scrawny pinchy-butted Angus running around on the place! :wink:
We have a supa baldie (simmie/Angus), but we have 2 angus bulls too.

Sandhusker said:

I have been an Angus Enthusiast for over 60 years, and the Angus breed has many virtues, of which any serious breeder of Beef cattle is aware, - however - CONSISTENTLY wide, deep, thick, long Hind Quarters is NOT one of them! :( I call them "Funnel-Butts", and I am angry with the Angus Breeders and the Association for allowing the breed to degenerate in that manner. Many of the breed's other characteristics are exemplary - however - in the hind quarters area - - there are NO BUTTS about it! :cry2:

Doc,
Good for you! Angus cattle are the most trashed up genetic bovine beast on the planet! MAybe the Maines are a close second. THe very best cattle I have ever seen was at the North American Internatinal Livestock Show...............Chifords! AND everybody in the barn thought so. I like a 3-way cross...Take a Black Baldy Cow and pop a Deiter Bros HYgrid Bull on her. You end up with a calf that has about 1/8 to 1/4 Chi. You can say all you want to "a touch of Chi" is a darn good deal! When a customer tells me it is the best beef I have ever put in my freezer and he ran a packing house for over 30+ years I believe I will stick with the program!
:D

CattleCo., How is the consistency of those Dieter bulls. All of the ones that i have seen are up and down. We used some years ago and breed to a set of 1/2 sisters we had some of the best calves and the worst calves, and they were all 3/4 sibs.

Char Bulls on Brangus Cattle work down here. That is, if the cattle aren't too high-headed. Have some Brangus X herf baldies that do good with the same bulls too. Grade and yield good too.
Cattle are like opinions - everybody's got a different one.

Latest posts