• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bull elk on our meadow, November 3, 2015

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Bull%20elk%20on%20our%20meadow_zpsvt5ua1qv.jpg

A bull elk was on our meadow this afternoon.
One%20is%20rather%20exciting.%20%20A%20whole%20herd%20would%20be%20disaster._zpszxw1cebw.jpg

Having one appear is rather exciting, but a whole herd would spell disaster and much loss of cattle feed.

There were a couple spotted down here by multiple people this summer. I have never seen one here but they would have it made in the summer with all the crops to hide in.

Had a decent sized one move through our area this fall supposedly. I would believe it as we aren't that far from Fort Riley and they have a decent herd down there.

Many people don't realize that elk were originally a plains animal, antelope were found in the mountains. For some reason they
switched environments long ago. The feet on elk who reside in the plains are much bigger and flatter than those found in the mountains. (Something I learned when I was a Game Check Station Warden in Wyoming in the 70's).

My little elk was suffering from an inferiority complex, so vacated his main herd. It's still the first elk I've ever seen in this area, although several years ago a friend who was hunting antelope did spot a young bull elk in one of our north pastures.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Seems like they are reclaiming their former range. We have moose on the ranch now as well as Mule deer and White tail deer.

Have heard several people think the wolves are pushing them out to find new territory to run.

Soapweed, does one of the SD Native American tribes still have elk on either the Pine Ridge, or the Rosebud? A few years ago, one elk went through our area, 8 miles north of exit 170 on I-90, and on north several miles. Within the past few weeks, there was rumor of another a little further north or west of us. . They are nice to see, but I'd be a "nimby' where such damaging wild life is concerned.

mrj

There has been a moose hanging around my area( Holt county Neb.) for a couple of weeks, only one person has been quick enough to get a picture.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Mike said:
Just wait until wild hogs get up ya'lls way. That's really fun. NOT!!!!

Parts of Saskatchewan already have a wild boar problem,

Never get rid of them now. :?

That's bad........ I've got buddies that can't drive a tractor across a pasture because of 3-4 ft deep ruts.

Mike said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Mike said:
Just wait until wild hogs get up ya'lls way. That's really fun. NOT!!!!

Parts of Saskatchewan already have a wild boar problem,

Never get rid of them now. :?

That's bad........ I've got buddies that can't drive a tractor across a pasture because of 3-4 ft deep ruts.

Talk to a fellow a few years ago now and they quit combining at night because they couldn't see the wallows and afraid of tipping a combine or busting a wheel or axle.

I had Elk all the time when I was up in that country. As the crow flies, it can't be much more then 15 miles. There is an Elk season on the river. Been there for over 10 years. I know there is another small herd of Elk straight south of Soapweed too, on the river.

Latest posts