• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bull Lease

Help Support Ranchers.net:

DejaVu

Reaction score
If you leased a bull, what would/should it cost? I know about the trich test (before and after) and necessary vaccinations, etc. Had a neighbor ask about leasing one of my bulls. He has a small fall calving herd. I'm not-at this time-worried about loss of the bull but know it's part of the risk. 60 day breeding period starting December 1. If I agree to this, do I charge the value of one calf?

I leased a virgin bull from a guy last spring for 90 days, I paid him $1,300 and when I returned him in good health I got $300 back. It worked very well for us.

I just read an article on the dtn said 1400-1700. They were talking about spring time lease but not sure that matters.

hummmm. $1400-1700 might be a good way to keep mine at home, if you know what I mean! :wink:

I have leased bulls in the past for all sorts of reasons. I was paying somewhere in the neighborhood of 750 and the people I was leasing from took all responsibility. I have also leased bulls to other people generally an older bull or one that was on the hit list for one reason or another. My thought is help someone out because there may come a day when I may need help in one way or another. Just my opinion.

I understand what you're saying, Bar M. I believe helping someone is a good thing. I've also been real disappointed by people I've helped. One thing I've learned is both parties have to know exactly what is expected. I want to be fair to both of us.

I loaned a bull to an old friend a couple years back to breed a fall calving cow and the other 4 he owned in the spring. Cost to him was wintering the bull. Win, win for both of us under the circumstances.

Only person I've ever done a favor for that asked me what the bull was worth should something happen to him. Kind of liked that.

If you have a bull that you are going to cull, sell him to your neighbor at cull value or a little more. Your neighbor will have a bull and you get your money no matter what. When he sells him he will get his money back if he keeps him in good condition. I think Jorgensons might get 1100 for used bulls and 1300 for virgin bulls, it may have been higher this last breeding season.

Jorgensen's leased yearlings for $1400 and two's and up for $1700 this past spring. I know they're not going to have to invest quite as much this fall to get their bull calves so that might come down a little this next spring for yearlings, but not sure. They already had a pretty high purchase value on everything that isn't a yearling, so not sure how the math is going to work out for the whole bunch.

I loaned a bull to a neighbor for free with the deal that he had to come back in the same condition. He got out in the ninnesca brush, so my neighbor told me I had to go catch him. No big deal. Those 4 wheeler Cowboys can't hang in the brush, and a good dog helps a lot. He could have asked instead of telling me what I had to do.

Latest posts