• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bull Reports

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Here is one that happened down here over the weekend.

21 Angus
New England, ND

131.....Yearling Angus Bulls.....$4,865

Just Ranchin said:
Well the season has started. I see Lazy S averaged 5300 on just about 200 bulls. Any word on how MC Quantock made out?

I heard and it went in one ear and out the other. Good sale though, stronger then last year.

According to DLMS it was lot 56 at 16,000. Lot 78 brought 10,500. Besides that, it looks like a real steady sale with lots of bulls bringing between 5000-9000.

Sometimes these prices make me wonder how much these folks buying have to have for deductions or depreciations on their taxes? Or how much moldy money is laying around?
Ranchers are famous for when the money rolls in- they spend it...

Do you need a $5000- $10,000 bull to raise good calves/cows :???:

Do they really need an extremely high dollar registered bull with all the fancy numbers to put on their commercial cows - or would one much cheaper from a 30-40-50 year breeder selling them unregistered in a large volume private treaty at 1/2 to a 1/3 the price do as good-- or better......EX- Shoshone angus- Horsebutte Angus- McNamee Angus-Keeney Angus- etc. etc. that have years and years of breeding that no longer sell highly promoted registered bulls sired by "emotion, commotion, high dollar promotion" full slick page Angus Journal bull stud advertised sired bulls......

My only regret has been that some of that long time proven breeding/genetics couldn't be being kept up in the registered industry- altho there are a few out there that have used it for years and have much of it still available to the angus registry....

I have no dog in the hunt- as I breed mainly for bulls that can make good momma cows-look for bulls that will do that from many herds-- have and do sell some registered- some commercial bulls/heifers (most those only want a good genetic animal not a paper- or fancy #'s)- but just courious as to what others think...

To me a big part of a couple of generations of breeding was removed from the angus registry when Larry Leonhardt/Keeney/Horsebutte/McNamee dropped selling registered animals:

http://www.keeneyscorner.com/

I don't disagree OT. This was mainly a Simmie sale, from a pretty reputable breeder and up here the Simmental breed has been the hottest price tag for the past few years. I am a firm believer that the best thing for a breed is not found behind a champion banner but behind an old farm sign. Unforunately, we as breeders are like sheep, following the latest fad. Some of the best cattle we have bought came from ranch conditions. Some of the worst cattle we have owned won a show.

Not all these good sales are from "emotion, commotion, high dollar promotion" as you say OT. Lots of these guys who have good sales don't own a halter, they spend some money on advertising(as you have to or else you won't have a crowd), but not to the extent you make it sound, and they don't trade money. But these guys have customers who sold calves from $800 last fall upto $1300 right now. A bull should be worth a heck of alot more than what it was last year, as calves sure are.

BRG said:
Not all these good sales are from "emotion, commotion, high dollar promotion" as you say OT. Lots of these guys who have good sales don't own a halter, they spend some money on advertising(as you have to or else you won't have a crowd), but not to the extent you make it sound, and they don't trade money. But these guys have customers who sold calves from $800 last fall upto $1300 right now. A bull should be worth a heck of alot more than what it was last year, as calves sure are.

he'll never give up that rant, BRG

Oldtimer said:
Sometimes these prices make me wonder how much these folks buying have to have for deductions or depreciations on their taxes? Or how much moldy money is laying around?

maybe some do, maybe some don't....who gives a sh1t.

Oldtimer said:

Class envy

Probably not but they do need to have two testicles.

:lol:

have a cold one

lazy ace

Larrry said:
Oldtimer said:

Class envy

No but I see so many of these bigger and old outfits that go buy 10-15- 20-30 bulls in a group from one of these old producers for a couple of thousand dollars less than the big promoted auctions- often without papers ( much like Soapweed does)- and still bring in some of the nicest calves in the country... (And often build a lot better herd of cows than the bull of the month emotion promotion sired bulls will ever make)..

Yeah they don't get their picture in the local or Tri-State newspaper as being the high dollar buyer for a $10,000 bull - or as the volume buyer at so & so's auction sale-- but it must work as many have been around for quite a few years...

And will probably be around a lot longer than those that just because this year was a good year have to go spend it .....

Oldtimer said:

I agree with you OT. The problem is that guys seem to think that unpapered cattle are no better than sales barn cull bulls or an uncut stocker calf - and they seem to pay accordingly. A neighbor learned that lesson. The moment he quite registering, his set price of $1800 became an offered price of $800-$900 as he had to sell at the sales barn, no one was coming to the gate anymore.

I know one local that said he needed a Char bull for his Hereford cows to make the high-selling calves. But he also realized he just needed the color to change from red to tan. Result? He bought two intact stocker bulls from the local feeder sale to be his new herdsires. Pretty sad looking, but their white, and cheap.

Different strokes for different folks.

Personally, I am highly critical when buying bulls. I don't chase the EPD's or pedigrees. I want a visual and the hard numbers. That's when I turn to someone like NR for a 2nd opinion because we both have the same idea of what bulls are worth the time to consider. He has a pretty good feel for the Hereford cattle in western Canada.

That being said, unless they are insured 24/7/365, $5,000 bulls can die like the rest of them. And I've never been a fan of insurance companies. I did find a bull I liked in SW SK, but I know he's going to be one of those $10,000 bulls, so I am out of the bull market for the while.

Sometimes guys will buy for status, sometimes it's advertising and sometimes it is for the calves. The thing so many forget about buying bulls is that in a few years that bull will make up half the genetics of the cow. So scrimping on bulls is not always the wisest. That said you do not always have to buy the top selling bulls to get the best bull. The challenge is picking that good out of hundreds of bulls.

Whats the price of a fat steer? I for one don't think bulls should sell for fat steer price. Last I knew never was a calf sired by a steer.

Red Bluff CA. Bull Sale 1/28/12 344 bulls ave. $ 3615.84
44 Herefords ave. $ 4392.05
17 P. Herefords ave. $ 4094.12
193 B. Angus ave. $ 3481.03
17 R. Angus ave. $ 3244.12

Latest posts