• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bull Reports

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I just call them as i see them and i see alot of bulls every spring-if you run in abrasive soils you can probably be a bit more lenient. When we have the ways and means to select and purchase seedstock with vg feet, udders etc why should there be any compromising. That is much like the fallacy that calving on grass will ruin udders-it will on cows that aren't fundamentally sound in their structure-cows that are have no problem milking to their hearts content out on pasture.

Sic' Em Genex supposedly lost all my U'S semen in a dry tank at the border but can't furnish any proof-packing slips etc. I still get commission cheques from them so they do have semen left down there somewhere-I'd just phone reps-I think nicky tracked some down last year. I have 700 units up here but I don't think it can legally cross the medicine line. My bull leasing experience sure expanded my learning curve-they did a terrible job of marketing him-I guess some feathers got ruffled when a bush bunnie in Canada had a decent bull to sell-should of got Schaff's to partner on him lol.Glad the cattle are working for you I bought him to make F1's and he seems to be panning out in that role.

There is some down here because they sell a little bit every year-I have a gut feeling my U'S semen got sold into South America in one big volume deal-they are real shysters.

I don't know many operations that can say they sell their cull bulls for more than they paid for them but that is my situation. We use them 4 years and what we have in them is the feed and grass they've eaten over the years. I've never pushed the pencil hard enough to know if it would be better to lease and not have to feed them for 4 years.

If I had to go back to doing it the old way and spend four to five thousand dollars per head for 6 or 7 bulls per year the bottom line wouldn't look nearly as good. I've been spoiled too long. I'm not knocking any producers or buyers I'm just relating how I do things.

If I ever get the picture thing figured out I will post pictures of the 6 half brothers I purchased from river rat and his family last fall.

Latest posts