• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bull to check out

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Last week I tested bulls and I had 2 Hereford bulls I was going to us on a select group of black second calvers. Well the bull I thought was the best one failed his BSE so in looking around for another one which at this late date was turning up a few suspect ones a friend turned me on to this bull. I brought him home yesterday. I think he looks pretty good for a Hereford. But then what do I know. He's a Dehorned, Horned Hereford.Born August 09
What do you guys think?
cotlstreeandbull011-1.jpg

cotlstreeandbull010-1.jpg

cotlstreeandbull009-1.jpg

cotlstreeandbull008-1.jpg

A Hereford? :p Those poor black cows are going to lose all their self respect.

Pretty decent bull though, looks like the easy keeping kind BMR.

Ya know I don't like pictures of bulls unless you have a pic of the momma also.

I think you should name him "Dangerfield" after all he gets no respect.

Sounds like you got a hard on against Herefords. Why in the hell would you buy one since they suck so bad?

I think you are moving up in the world just by having him on your place...maybe those Obama cows will learn to appreciate a nice bull

nortexsook said:
Sounds like you got a hard on against Herefords. Why in the hell would you buy one since they suck so bad?

Well I have raised black Angus my whole career but since listening to the Hereford breeders extol the virtues of white faced cattle and criticize the Angus I figured maybe I was missing something. I know nothing about Hereford pedigrees so I took some advice from a friend and bought this bull.

Did I make a mistake?

Any Hereford breeders going to try a Angus bull? :D

Looks nice for a Hereford. I'm curious as to why there is so many horned herefords used Ive seen alot of pics on here with horned herefords. Are they genetically better than the polled herefords,just more available or just preference? We raise angus. But if I were to raise herefords I would want them polled.

LRAF said:
Looks nice for a Hereford. I'm curious as to why there is so many horned herefords used Ive seen alot of pics on here with horned herefords. Are they genetically better than the polled herefords,just more available or just preference? We raise angus. But if I were to raise herefords I would want them polled.

As Mike Fergusen (former Douglas Lake Ranch cowboss for over 40 years, now deceased) once said " If they have a little pointy head they also seem to have a little pointy ass."

Most of the selection of Polled Herefords that I have seen fit this mold. There are good ones out there but not as many as the horned kind. There has to be more reasons than just personal preference why larger outfits that raise Herefords don't use polled bulls.

Now that I've stated my opinion I'll likely be taken to task but I'll stick to it.

Thanks for the response. I knew an older man here that raised some really nice polled Hereford. But he had startes out with horned herefords and evidently still had a like for hornes cattle since he also raised longhorns. I was just curious as to why it seemed there was so many horned herefords shown

Now I could be wrong for today, but at one time the Horned Hereford had a much larger gene pool than the polled hereford. I think it was much easier
to find a good horned hereford than a polled hereford.

Plus friends of ours who ran straight Herefords, didn't even
dehorn the heifers. The man was a terrific cowman and he always maintained
that when you dehorned a hereford, you took away their brains. (That
goes for the Hereford cows.)

Horned herefords still havea larger genetic base than polled, but if anyone thinks it is hard to find a good polled bull they aren't looking very hard. Hereford breeders are really doing a good job catering to the all black commercial cowherds. Most commercial guys probably wont get many horns using horned bulls but it seems like most dont even chance it and buy polled bulls.

I run about half polled hereford bulls and half black bulls. I did buy a horned bull one time but with the way I winter my bulls he dang near starved to death that winter. Seems them horns are hard to get in and out of them bale feeders. If I ever went to horned herfs I would have to feed them on the ground.

If you take real notice there's a lot of horned outfits that have also started Polled herds!! Why mess with dehorning when you can have comparable quality and phenotype! There are extremely good cattle in both sides of the Hereford gene pool as well as some undesirable types just as in EVERY breed of cattle!

I shouldn't have a horn issue as he is breeding straight bred angus cows. I wouldn't use him on baldies for that reason. I have dehorned enough cattle over the years I don't want to do any more.
I imagine the fellow's customers preferred having the bulls dehorned for easy of putting through the chute.

I like your new bull, Big Muddy. He should produce some high quality baldy calves when mated with your good Angus cows. He is in proper working flesh to cover country and accomplish the task to which he has been assigned.

Latest posts