• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bull to check out

Help Support Ranchers.net:

He should cross well on moderate AN heifers. I agree about the horn thing. Some with horns is worse than having to dehorn everything, because you always miss some when you check and have to pull them in later.
The good HH cattle have always had depth of heel and thickness. Polled cattle are moving that way, but I think in Canada a lot went pretty framy trying to chase growth and milk.

Gee I'm kinda disappointed the Hereford Guru's of Doug, H'76 and NR never weighed in in this bull. I would value their expert opinions. Do I need to take different pictures. :?

Big Muddy rancher said:
Gee I'm kinda disappointed the Hereford Guru's of Doug, H'76 and NR never weighed in in this bull. I would value their expert opinions. Do I need to take different pictures. :?

Heck, I'm an ex-Hereford guy. :wink: Even now, I'd use that bull in a heartbeat if he was closer, available, and you didn't already have dibs on him. :) He's a good looking bull. You won't be disappointed by using him.

BMR good looking hereford bull . For this time of year pickings can be slim no matter what kind of bull your looking for, or how much you have to spend. Your sure could have done worse. Have a nice evening. :)

Bull looks good.BMR.using em on angus cows will sure in improve things.there are
times I think about getting back into hereford bulls.then I kinda get over it.
Dad and Grandpa had great herd of hereford cows years ago.but the Kids got lazy
and needed to make more money on same ground so lts angus.Twice the cows
maybe less work.bit more grass.
Tough to beat baldy cows are a bit hardier than blks.also herefords calves we get
from BC ranches.the ones with some hair will out perform anything else in the
feedlot.dos.nt matter how cold.it gets they keep putting on wht.
Think polled cattle are softer cattle than horned.kinda like the liberal.version
of cattle.
But BMR that bull can only do you good.looks like a bull.I saw some where this
spring.can.t remember where.
(Guys just my humbe opinion)

Shepard said:
Bull looks good.BMR.using em on angus cows will sure in improve things.there are
times I think about getting back into hereford bulls.then I kinda get over it.
Dad and Grandpa had great herd of hereford cows years ago.but the Kids got lazy
and needed to make more money on same ground so lts angus.Twice the cows
maybe less work.bit more grass.
Tough to beat baldy cows are a bit hardier than blks.also herefords calves we get
from BC ranches.the ones with some hair will out perform anything else in the
feedlot.dos.nt matter how cold.it gets they keep putting on wht.
Think polled cattle are softer cattle than horned.kinda like the liberal.version
of cattle.
But BMR that bull can only do you good.looks like a bull.I saw some where this
spring.can.t remember where.
(Guys just my humbe opinion)

Thanks Shepard, I think the cross will work pretty good. Worth a try anyways.
You know that old saying "You see one Hereford bull, you've seen them all." :wink:

Well you know who to call about the baldy heifers. Did you see his dam and how is he bred-there are some skeletons in the Hereford closets. I just can't get around a dehorned Hereford bull but the rest of him looks good. Take a picture of him out breeding.

BMR
Do.nt mean to be down on hereford cattle at all.but just seems I find and buy better
angus cattle.than hererfords.seems like I do.nt have the eye for herefords.
Do any of u find it easier to work with differant breeds.
Wish I was good like NR seems to be.just like checken his posts.
Well as my friend used say.
Some like (Rita MacNiel)
Some like (Shania Twain)

Funny you say that Shep. I was just commenting the other day that the only Hereford calf we have sure is looking good (body-wise, sadly he has a funky [bulging] eye so he's freezer bound). After a much closer look, I commented that our black calves were looking good, too. It seems to be easier for me to see "good" qualities in non-black cattle; takes me longer to get past black. When I was in school and showing 4-H and FFA, I never had a black animal (Well,one, but he was crazy and didn't get shown). Supposedly black makes it easier to hide blemishes...that's what I was told. Seems to me that if it hides blemishes, it can just as easy hide good qualities.

Shepard are you going to TeePee Creek maybe Ty can ride 'The Terror' again this year. Last year was my first trip up to that country-hopefully not the last. Are you guys terrible dry again this year.

Big Muddy rancher said:
You know that old saying "You see one Hereford bull, you've seen them all." :wink:

That's an excuse I hear from guys about all breeds. It is used by the guys that find an excuse to always buy the bottom end bulls. Then next year on to another bottom end bull from some other breed

He looks sad - i always feel bad for a hereford bull without his crown. Looks like you were fortunate to find a good bull later in the season. ever try j-e bulls?

Sorry it took so long BMR. He should do a fine job for you as a baldie producer. He has good length, looks wide in the back and has red legs. It looks like he is packing a good set of baby-makers. If i was going to be picky, I would say put some red around his eye(maybe the other one has some) and put his horns back on, but early or late, I have never seen a perfect bull. If I ever seen him, I couldn't use him because I don't have any perfect cows.

A question for you. Do you sell the baldies? One of my bulls went to a registered Angus outfit that is having baldie bred heifers on their production sale.

In answer to another question, I am running 4 Angus bulls this year. I still own baldie commercial cows and breed some herefords black.

Doug Thorson said:
Sorry it took so long BMR. He should do a fine job for you as a baldie producer. He has good length, looks wide in the back and has red legs. It looks like he is packing a good set of baby-makers. If i was going to be picky, I would say put some red around his eye(maybe the other one has some) and put his horns back on, but early or late, I have never seen a perfect bull. If I ever seen him, I couldn't use him because I don't have any perfect cows.

A question for you. Do you sell the baldies? One of my bulls went to a registered Angus outfit that is having baldie bred heifers on their production sale.

In answer to another question, I am running 4 Angus bulls this year. I still own baldie commercial cows and breed some herefords black.

I haven't been selling baldies because most of them go back in my herd. I started with some baldie hfrs but have bred black since I started so don't have many left. I bought a package of Hereford cows a year ago.Good enough cows but they have more frame then my black cows. This year my son bought a place and needed to stock it so I decided to breed most of my hfrs and probably will sell close to half. I don't think I will keep the Hereford hfrs but try and work my herd back to all black and Black baldy cows by using a RWF bull on some select solid black cows.
The bull is pretty wide, long and deep. He looks maybe a bit leggy in the pictures but he was on the bunk pad and I was standing down the slope a bit.
I guess we'll know more in a year or so. :D

Latest posts