• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bulls: Owning vs Renting

Help Support Ranchers.net:

4Diamond

Reaction score
I have been thinking a lot lately if it would be more cost efficient to own bulls or rent them. We currently own our own bulls. We breed cattle in fall and spring and bulls stand around in lots or small pastures the other 6 months a year approximately I am curious for those of you that rent bulls how is the deal set up and what are fair prices? Any information would be helpful.

I currently lease mine for 3 years, I keep and feed thru the winter, we are planning to start owning, we have 1 we raised and 1 purchased and 2 leased cost for lease is 800 per bull/year price went to 900. The lease has worked great for us as the last 3 years 1 has been injured, call and sell the one, they bring another no problem. The reason for changing is we want to change our bloodlines

Most guys here that rent out bulls are basically renting cow fresheners. They either buy the bottom end at bull sales cheap or by big yearlings someone forgot to cut at the salebarn. They then rent them out. Not a real program in my opinion but they do breed cows price around here is $750 a season last I heard.You can buy alot of bulls here for under $2000

i have been leasing a few every year from Jorgensons. i've been happy with the program. the cost is $1000 per bull for the breeding season. they deliver and pick up the bulls at central points. if a lease bull is injured during the breeding season, a replacement is furnished, no questions asked. i talk to them in early spring and let them know what type of bulls i want, and that's what they send. the best part of the deal is that i don't have to feed those bulls the other 10 months of the year. :D

Justin said:
i have been leasing a few every year from Jorgensons. i've been happy with the program. the cost is $1000 per bull for the breeding season. they deliver and pick up the bulls at central points. if a lease bull is injured during the breeding season, a replacement is furnished, no questions asked. i talk to them in early spring and let them know what type of bulls i want, and that's what they send. the best part of the deal is that i don't have to feed those bulls the other 10 months of the year. :D

Yeah having bulls stand around half the year seems less and less feasible to me each year.

I think thereis benefit to both leasing and owning there are some great out fits that will lease yearling and sell two year olds. But like Denny said a good portion of people that lease do so out of the bottom end of the herd(not all but most). And i also think an out fit that is 800-1000+ cows/hiefers could benefit from leasing just on schear volume of bulls that would need to be kept on hand. For a smaller operator like me i need to have the best genetics that my money can buy. for the simple reason is i dont have the number of head to sell as other producers

Bar M said:
I think thereis benefit to both leasing and owning there are some great out fits that will lease yearling and sell two year olds. But like Denny said a good portion of people that lease do so out of the bottom end of the herd(not all but most). And i also think an out fit that is 800-1000+ cows/hiefers could benefit from leasing just on schear volume of bulls that would need to be kept on hand. For a smaller operator like me i need to have the best genetics that my money can buy. for the simple reason is i dont have the number of head to sell as other producers

I disagree if your wanting the best genetics on a small herd why wouldn't you want the best on a large herd as well. Same inputs per cow just because the herd is bigger why would you want less quality?

3 M L & C said:
Bar M said:

I disagree if your wanting the best genetics on a small herd why wouldn't you want the best on a large herd as well. Same inputs per cow just because the herd is bigger why would you want less quality?

I agree. I'd rather have 1000 head of great cows than 1000 head of fair to middlin. A good cow eats just as much as bad one. :D I do see why needing to run 40 bulls, a guy might look for more affordable bulls. And feeding a bull for 10 months is a pain in the hind end for sure.

We also lease bulls from Jorgensens 3rd year now,treated us real good. We get all half brothers, trying to get more uniformity.

Right i understand and maybe i miss spoke.....i see at so many bull sales and with talking to people that, alot of people say that i dont have a heard big enough to pay that much for a bull, and will buy a bull off the top end. And i do understand the cost of getting cows bred. The point i was trying to make was i can see where a big out fit could justify leasing bulls rather then trying to winter 50-200 bulls.

Latest posts