• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bulls taking 5 in the sun.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mn

Reaction score
Seeing if we can get this figured out. hope it works

100_0162.jpg
[/img]

Yup,looks like it worked to me,good lookin stock,looks like they waste as much hay as mine.............good luck

Many, many years ago an oltimer told me when referring to wintertime hay feeding; "It's not what they eat, it's what they lay on." There is at least an element of truth in that adage, IMHO.

Looks like corn stalks to me.Which are used here alot for bedding keeps their nuts from freezeing.They will eat quite abit of it also.

Denny

Sounds like you are experienced with baling stocks. We have never done it (we can't find any corn stalks close enough to make it pencil.) How do you bale them? stalk chopper with a rake? Is it hard on equipment? Just wondering how it works?

Thanks

lazy ace said:
Denny

Sounds like you are experienced with baling stocks. We have never done it (we can't find any corn stalks close enough to make it pencil.) How do you bale them? stalk chopper with a rake? Is it hard on equipment? Just wondering how it works?

Thanks

I use a double 9 mower,9 wheel rake then bale them I have a M&W closed chamber baler it has a chain like an older New Holland baler and it has a round drum on the bottom to turn the bale.I also have a Gehl Drum Baler but it wont bale them very well.A friend cuts his with a 12' disc bine but he picks his rocks mine were on some rocky corn ground.

It does'nt seem to be hard on equipment I do know that they take a while to dry I used sisal twine on them and in a week they had rotted off already.Next time I will use plastic twine net wrap works well also.

lazy ace said:
Denny

Thanks

Last year was the first time that we baled cornstalks but the way we did it worked really good.

We left them in the field til spring then we raked them with an old New Holland side rake because the gear box was out of our rotary rake. We raked them cross-ways because it seemed to pick them up cleaner, but a rotary rake would probably do it either way. Another cattleman I know rakes them same way the rows run.

The advantage of raking them in the spring is two-fold; they are dry as soon as the ground is dry and they are softened up a lot from the winter weather.

But be prepared for some major dust when you rake, bale and spread them! We also found that we picked up quite a few small stones with our 648 NH baler.

But they do make pretty good bedding.

WE don't sell any bulls but try to sell some hf's. We use a fed ex son and a star ss thunder son. We ai some to the club calf Hots!! also.

Latest posts