• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

bulls

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Another place you can find/get a lot of Jorgenson breeding is with the Sinclair Cattle Co. cattle:

http://www.sinclaircattle.com/

They bought many Jorgenson cows and combined it with old N Bar Emulation and Dale Davis Rito 707 bloodlines...

One of their bulls I had good luck with was SINCLAIR RITO LEGACY 3R9 which is a 707 son out of the Jorgenson IDEAL 4465 OF 6807 4286 cow... He will definitely increase capacity and muscling in his daughters/granddaughtes- and they are easy keepers...
BUT he does reduce mature height so you would probably want to look at some of their other Sinclair sires...
A problem that I always worry with on the Sinclair cattle is their docility because so many of them carry a great deal of N Bar Emulation EXT breeding...

I'll chime in and agree that Jorgensons would be a good source for the
cattle you are seeking.

I was always disappointed we didn't use them when we were changing the
style and functionality (for lack of better words) of our cattle. I thought
we had an Ideal 033 bought at one time, but when the bull was delivered, it wasn't the right bull. We parted ways with that bull producer over it. I tried to follow those cattle some and I did find out that the 033 females were the right kind for what we wanted.

It's a shame FH, that the bull you bought wasn't an 033. We bought Ideal 5201 of 033 076 in 1997 and he's the bull that laid the foundation for our entire cowherd as well as Big Swede's along with countless others. When you look at his epd's now I don't think they did him justice. Jorgensen's used him for a couple years but didn't get quite the results we did with him. It's funny how bulls will breed somewhat different in different herd because of the genetic base of your cowherd. I always tell people the only sure way to know what the bulls will do in your own herd is use them. We just sold our 9 yr. old cows with calves at side in Ft. Pierre Friday. and although they had a tough time selling anything that day (Brian Hansen still doesn't really know the reason) our old one's brought $2650 and a load of three's from us topped the sale at $2925. The load of old one's was full of 5201's and they and their babies definitely contributed to the selling price.

river rat said:
It's a shame FH, that the bull you bought wasn't an 033. We bought Ideal 5201 of 033 076 in 1997 and he's the bull that laid the foundation for our entire cowherd as well as Big Swede's along with countless others. When you look at his epd's now I don't think they did him justice. Jorgensen's used him for a couple years but didn't get quite the results we did with him. It's funny how bulls will breed somewhat different in different herd because of the genetic base of your cowherd. I always tell people the only sure way to know what the bulls will do in your own herd is use them. We just sold our 9 yr. old cows with calves at side in Ft. Pierre Friday. and although they had a tough time selling anything that day (Brian Hansen still doesn't really know the reason) our old one's brought $2650 and a load of three's from us topped the sale at $2925. The load of old one's was full of 5201's and they and their babies definitely contributed to the selling price.

We were upset over what transpired over that bull deal. We had been long time satisifed customers but when the son took over, this kind of thing happened. At the time, I couldn't find any other 033's. I always regretted not getting to use that bloodline in our herd. Thanks for the input.

Sounds like a good sale to me, Congratulations!!

Denny said:
The cows at Diamond D graze pivots of alfalfa the cattle don't perform very well in the real world I've used one and a bull customer has had a few they were 3 years olds last year when I seen them and the 3 year olds I sold him were way better in body condition they get ran pretty tough where they live now and it was'nt to their liking.Cattle I had were very low birth weight heifer bull that had bowling ball shaped calves all head and shoulders was'nt good.

Ohlde cattle will thicken them up but be careful as they will downsize in a hurry and they are very agressive mothers towards the human tagging the calf.The ones we have don't tolerate being worked thru the chutes very well they get hot headed in a hurry. But the udders and the fleshing ability are a plus.

Saddle Butte I know nothing of but reading the pedigrees I'd use them.

When I first saw diamond d cattle, I thought they looked small. The diamond d 'outcrosses' penned next to them were very impressive.

The 'irrigated pivot' deal: last time I was up there in summer, they were allocated 2" per irrigated acre, 'irrigated alfalfa' looked to have a lot of grass, the cattle appeared to be earning a living. After that, I was up there in winter---cows still on hayground, pretty good sized bunch had gotten 3 straw bales and 2 hay and had cleaned it up. Appeared to be earning a living.

Older herd bulls are wintered with pens of developing bulls---little guys hassle them, otherwise they get too fat.

I've had 3 or 4----easy keepers, easy fleshing, kept lots of heifers outa them. I'll be buying more. And we run in 12-14" precip zone, bulls winter 'out' with very little hay.

Saddle butte: read their website, Harrison O'Connor is interesting guy. I got one of his bulls----jury still out. He's a soggy bugger. You get a chance, go in from geyser, make the loop, harrers lost lake ranch is kinda in that country. some phenomenal scenery for about 10 miles. then take the virgelle ferry across the Missouri and have lunch in ft Benton. if you're running late stop at the square butte country club for a burger on the way.

littlejoe said:
Denny said:
The cows at Diamond D graze pivots of alfalfa the cattle don't perform very well in the real world I've used one and a bull customer has had a few they were 3 years olds last year when I seen them and the 3 year olds I sold him were way better in body condition they get ran pretty tough where they live now and it was'nt to their liking.Cattle I had were very low birth weight heifer bull that had bowling ball shaped calves all head and shoulders was'nt good.

Ohlde cattle will thicken them up but be careful as they will downsize in a hurry and they are very agressive mothers towards the human tagging the calf.The ones we have don't tolerate being worked thru the chutes very well they get hot headed in a hurry. But the udders and the fleshing ability are a plus.

Saddle Butte I know nothing of but reading the pedigrees I'd use them.

When I first saw diamond d cattle, I thought they looked small. The diamond d 'outcrosses' penned next to them were very impressive.

The 'irrigated pivot' deal: last time I was up there in summer, they were allocated 2" per irrigated acre, 'irrigated alfalfa' looked to have a lot of grass, the cattle appeared to be earning a living. After that, I was up there in winter---cows still on hayground, pretty good sized bunch had gotten 3 straw bales and 2 hay and had cleaned it up. Appeared to be earning a living.

Older herd bulls are wintered with pens of developing bulls---little guys hassle them, otherwise they get too fat.

I've had 3 or 4----easy keepers, easy fleshing, kept lots of heifers outa them. I'll be buying more.

Saddle butte: read their website, Harrison O'Connor is interesting guy. I got one of his bulls----jury still out. He's a soggy bugger. You get a chance, go in from geyser, make the loop, harrers lost lake ranch is kinda in that country. some phenomenal scenery for about 10 miles. then take the virgelle ferry across the Missouri and have lunch in ft Benton. if you're running late stop at the square butte country club for a burger on the way.

We no longer need bulls, but it sounds like a trip we should take!

Latest posts