• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Burned Biscuits.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

katrina

Reaction score
When I was a kid, my mom liked to make breakfast food for dinner every now and then. And I remember one night in particular when she had made breakfast after a long, hard day at work.

On that evening so long ago, my mom placed a plate of eggs, sausage and extremely burned biscuits in front of my dad. I remember waiting to see if anyone noticed! Yet all my dad did was reach for his biscuit, smile at my mom and ask me how my day was at school. I don't remember what I told him that night, but I do remember watching him smear butter and jelly on that biscuit and eat every bite!

When I got up from the table that evening, I remember hearing my mom apologize to my dad for burning the biscuits. And I'll never forget what he said: "Honey, I love burned biscuits."

Later that night, I went to kiss Daddy good night and I asked him if he really liked his biscuits burned. He wrapped me in his arms and said, "Your Momma put in a hard day at work today and she's real tired. And besides - a little burnt biscuit never hurt anyone!"

Life is full of imperfect things.....and imperfect people. I'm not the best at hardly anything, and I forget birthdays and anniversaries just like everyone else. But what I've learned over the years is that learning to accept each others faults - and choosing to celebrate each others differences - is one of the most important keys to creating a healthy, growing, and lasting relationship.

And that's my prayer for you today. That you will learn to take the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of your life and lay them at the feet of God. Because in the end, He's the only One who will be able to give you a relationship where a burnt biscuit isn't a deal-breaker!

We could extend this to any relationship. In fact, understanding is the base of any relationship, be it a husband-wife or parent-child or friendship!

"Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket - keep it in your own."

God Bless You..... Now, and Always....

So Please pass me a biscuit, and yes, the burnt one will do just fine.!.!.!.! And PLEASE pass this along to someone who has enriched your life... I just did!

thanks for the picker-upper,,,that is a great story,,i have been married for over 40 years now off and on.and back with the first wife.it took me awhile to learn the lesson of''the burned biscuit'' but i try use it now with all friendships.with losing my farm,losing a child ,losing a wife,followed by trouble with the law----it has all been returned.i can now sit down and share a burned biscuit with GOD.thanks for sharing your story!!

------philippians 2:14

balestabber said:
thanks for the picker-upper,,,that is a great story,,i have been married for over 40 years now off and on.and back with the first wife.it took me awhile to learn the lesson of''the burned biscuit'' but i try use it now with all friendships.with losing my farm,losing a child ,losing a wife,followed by trouble with the law----it has all been returned.i can now sit down and share a burned biscuit with GOD.thanks for sharing your story!!

------philippians 2:14

GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS BALESTABBER, KATRINA IT WAS A WONDERFULL AND EYE OPENING POST.

THat said every now and then I HAVE TO REMIND MY WIFE of 42 years that when I MARRIED HER IT WAS FOR BETTER OR WORSE.

I just never dreamed she could get this much worse. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Truly the way it has lasted 42 years I have never gone to bed mad nor we don't throw up the past unless the problem arises again and then its not a gotcha but rather how we should have learned the first time it happened. :wink:

Kind of lets learn and do better because tomorrow something new will happen and we need to use the stumbling blocks as stepping stones rather than demolition and destruction to our marriage.

Thanks Katrina..for sharing that....

But....I burned the Cabbage the other day....Burnt cabbage is a whole other story from burnt biscuits LOL Yeap....I flung it. Wouldn't even suggest that anyone try to eat that...ugh!

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Thanks Katrina..for sharing that....

But....I burned the Cabbage the other day....Burnt cabbage is a whole other story from burnt biscuits LOL Yeap....I flung it. Wouldn't even suggest that anyone try to eat that...ugh!

How did ya get the stink outta the house?

i can relate to the burnt cabbage !!we raise a fat hog or 2 to butcher for the freezer.we feed them ALL table scraps among other trash.
[a pig will eat almost anything] the wife had some bad cabbage and the hogs wouldnt touch it. :shock: maybe they were spoiled :lol: :lol:

Luckily I had a lid on it....and when I smelt it....I didn't take the lid off till I was outside with it. So the stink in the house wasn't so bad. But I did leave the front door open a lil bit anyway.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Luckily I had a lid on it....and when I smelt it....I didn't take the lid off till I was outside with it. So the stink in the house wasn't so bad. But I did leave the front door open a lil bit anyway.

I burned cabbage on the stove and it stunk for days.... Really rotten smell.. :dunce: I'm glad it was better for you.

Great post Katrina.

On the humorous side. Be careful how many burnt biscuits you eat, pretty soon she might think you like them. If I eat something my wife will fix it reguraly if I do not voice my opinion, therefore if I do not voice my opinion I get a lot of burnt biscuits. One time she made malt-o-meal for a quick breakfast (I hate malt-o-meal), I told her thanks that was good and went on about my day. You guessed it the next time I had a great big bowl of malt-o-meal, I can only choke somehting down so many times.

Mt Dad got the idea I liked waffles so every special occasion we had waffles-I ate them till the day he died and never told Dad I preferred pancakes. He'd of quit cooking waffles and made me make pancakes lol.

Back to the Burned Biscuits
Years ago we had a friend over for dinner - V_Key's Mother burnt a round pan of Biscuits - they were also Hard - as - a - Rock - we teased her as they went in the Garbage.
The next day my friend dig them out of the garbage - Lacquered them and the fancy plack he made and hung it on the Kitchen Wall.
To this day "I Catch The Hell For That"!

katrina said:
When I was a kid, my mom liked to make breakfast food for dinner every now and then. And I remember one night in particular when she had made breakfast after a long, hard day at work.

On that evening so long ago, my mom placed a plate of eggs, sausage and extremely burned biscuits in front of my dad. I remember waiting to see if anyone noticed! Yet all my dad did was reach for his biscuit, smile at my mom and ask me how my day was at school. I don't remember what I told him that night, but I do remember watching him smear butter and jelly on that biscuit and eat every bite!

When I got up from the table that evening, I remember hearing my mom apologize to my dad for burning the biscuits. And I'll never forget what he said: "Honey, I love burned biscuits."

Later that night, I went to kiss Daddy good night and I asked him if he really liked his biscuits burned. He wrapped me in his arms and said, "Your Momma put in a hard day at work today and she's real tired. And besides - a little burnt biscuit never hurt anyone!"

Life is full of imperfect things.....and imperfect people. I'm not the best at hardly anything, and I forget birthdays and anniversaries just like everyone else. But what I've learned over the years is that learning to accept each others faults - and choosing to celebrate each others differences - is one of the most important keys to creating a healthy, growing, and lasting relationship.

And that's my prayer for you today. That you will learn to take the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of your life and lay them at the feet of God. Because in the end, He's the only One who will be able to give you a relationship where a burnt biscuit isn't a deal-breaker!

We could extend this to any relationship. In fact, understanding is the base of any relationship, be it a husband-wife or parent-child or friendship!

"Don't put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket - keep it in your own."

God Bless You..... Now, and Always....

So Please pass me a biscuit, and yes, the burnt one will do just fine.!.!.!.! And PLEASE pass this along to someone who has enriched your life... I just did!

:roll: Good job with the warm and fuzzy BS, Katrina. In fact, my BS meter has pretty much pegged out on this one. We keep our women around because they can cook, clean, feed cattle and rake hay - pretty much in that order. Anybody can burn a biscuit - burn biscuits around here, you'll pack your stuff before the smoke clears. If burnt biscuits were acceptable, I'd be sharing my bed with some hot-looking young stripper instead of some haggard-looking old cook/cowgirl. What a crock.

Latest posts