• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Burns my ****

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Damn deer on these hay fields burn my ***we got these white tail & axis and in the evenings you cant count them all,I will be lucky to cut one bale of these fields,and same thing across the road.white tail arent as bad as the axis ,damn things graze like a steer.............good luck

don't know if you know this or not Haymaker....but here in texas it dont matter if it's deer season or not..if they are makin a nuisance of themselves it's legal to shoot....if it has to do with how ya make yer livin..or even eatin your garden....BOOM!!!!

(Deer....it's what's fer dinner)

Didn't think they could do much damage, the Texas deer I've seen pictured are about the size of our jackrabbits! YOu've gotta come north to see the big ones :wink:

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
don't know if you know this or not Haymaker....but here in texas it dont matter if it's deer season or not..if they are makin a nuisance of themselves it's legal to shoot....if it has to do with how ya make yer livin..or even eatin your garden....BOOM!!!!

(Deer....it's what's fer dinner)

Damn! I wish it was like that here! Deer sure are a nuisance around here, but we can't do nothing about it out of season.

I wish we could do that here also!We have so many acreages in the community,and they all have there land posted no hunting.That the deer population,has gotten totally out of control.It's so bad now,that you see deer wandering around in the middle of the day.

We have tons of deer. They don't even show up on the radar screen as being a nuisance compared to elk. Try having 150 head of THEM graze through your favorite quarter section and see what's left. I'll take the deer any day.

Don't know if it would do any good, but the sheep herders around our property in Arizona had some kind of pot rigged up where water dripped into a bucket of some kind of chemical and set off a loud boom about every 15 minutes. Can't think of what they are called, but can be bought at the stores. It kept the coyotes and retirees jumpy and off the sheep. I figure that if it doesn't work for the deer, at least it will make them less jumpy when they are in season and maybe I can get a second shot since I usually miss on the first shot anyway. I'll figure out what they are called and let you know. Sheep folks said they weren't that expensive and well worth the effort.

A neighbouring ranch used the "bangers" for a while, for the elk problem. Said they worked good for the first while, but then they got imune to them. Now people are using Llammas (sp?). Elk and deer won't come into a feed pile with them around, and I've never actually seen deer or elk in the same field as the Llammas now that I think about it.

You could always try lion dung. Contract with a zoo to dispose of the lion dung and put it on your field. I think a little goes a long way.
I have had the game warden write me a permit to shoot deer at night and or out of season to prevent crop damage. However the only thing is that you have to leave the deer where they fall. And how wants rotting deer all over the pasture or hay field.
I wonder if Monsanto can come up with a spray that will kill deer but won't harm people or cattle. I bet the car insurance people would be all for it too.

Jinglebob said:
Hmmmm, I thought the GF&P was suposed to be "managing" the deer. Maybe they "manage" them different then the landholder want! :mad:

Thay just manage them by turning out Cougars and bears....

sell hunts to people to thin down the deer... that way you get rid of them plus make a few bucks

I have heard that used kitty litter will repel deer, we throw it around deer stands of the guys we don't like.......

jigs said:
sell hunts to people to thin down the deer... that way you get rid of them plus make a few bucks

I have heard that used kitty litter will repel deer, we throw it around deer stands of the guys we don't like.......

I got some hunters,every one of em wants to kill the BULL OF THE WOODS its these doe that are the problem.I might hafta get after these boys about doe shooting ..............good luck

In Alabama the bag limit is 2 a day. I think the law should be changed to 2 a day and one must be a doe. That would force people to shoot a doe before they shoot a buck. I had 15 or 20 dows grazing in the hay fiels this morning. Not only do the eat all the sweet grass but they carry Bluetoung.

Jinglebob said:
Sure, then they can sell licenses for cougar and bear hunts! :lol:

naw, then they just tell ya your seeing things and don't know what your talkin about.... then fine you for shooting an animal that supposedly isn't there....

cowsense said:
Didn't think they could do much damage, the Texas deer I've seen pictured are about the size of our jackrabbits! YOu've gotta come north to see the big ones :wink:

You can keep your big ones, and have all these jack rabbit sized ones too,bet it wont take you long to sing a differnt tune when you see how thick the SOB's can get..............good luck

HAY MAKER said:
cowsense said:

You can keep your big ones, and have all these jack rabbit sized ones too,bet it wont take you long to sing a differnt tune when you see how thick the SOB's can get..............good luck

How thick do they actually get there Haymaker? I mean, what sort of numbers would you see on a quarter at any given time? I'm just curious, I've heard lots of versions of lots. I think we have lot's, but maybe I'm wrong. For example, when I drive to town (about 40 miles) I will probably see 40 to 50 just in the ditches. Some days I see a lot more, and that's not counting the fields and hillsides. Any given field may have 20 to 50 head grazing at times. How does that compare with what you've got?

The best description I've heard of deer is that they're like rats with antlers, the only other wild animal that can seem to adapt to living close to people is the coyote. We seem to be getting overrun with both!!

Latest posts