• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Burr Under the Saddle Blanket

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I take the money. I don't like any of these programs, it's nothing more than welfare. But if I don't take these handouts, I can't compete with my neighbors who do take the money. It's that simple.

I don't make the rules, but I do play by them.

Ultimatley this free money will end up with the landowner (who probably doesn't need it), and not the tennant, in the form of higher land prices or higher annual rent.

I could go on and on about the unintended consequences of these stupid farms programs, maybe in a different thread.

3 M L & C said:
I read this yesterday and wasn't going to post but for some reason I think I will. I have not recieved a check from the 2012 drought deal (some of us are in a just as bad drought if not worse this year than that) but I am a farmer and do participate in the farm programs. I think that they all should just be scrapped. Why do I participate do you ask? I am in my early 30's and don't have the luxury of owning very much of the ground that I farm. The farm payments and participating in them and which ones go with the land owner and however they see fit to do things. Another reason is I have banked with 3 places in my life for different reasons and I have a very large operating line in order to make it through the season. There is not one place that dosnt put security on gov payments and also crop insurance (which I know most of you think is evil as well). I can't say I feel good about the payments but I don't have much choice unless I just quit and go work in town. I wish I had a big spread with lots of cows that are paid for like some of you I enjoy the cows way more than farming but I don't. I have a question for some of you with your holier than thow attitude. I have four kids when I put them down on my taxs and get to deduct x amount for each of them is that wellfair? They are giving me a tax break for my kids and basicly give you money by not taking it away in taxs. Probly should have just kept quiet but for those of you that think you know everything about every farmer it just bugged me a bit.

We participate in the insurance program and we had a family discussion in 2012 as we were able to operate for the first time without an operation loan - - - prior to that it was a requirement to purchase the insurance to get the yearly operating loan.

Our premium was right at $160,000 and the kids thought that while it was about 10% of the cost of putting out 2.300 acres of corn and soybeans they did not want to pay for the insurance.

Being as I had been thru 2 droughts ( 1983 and 1988 ) that almost did me in - - - I advised that we needed the insurance and we took it. Yes the check came in pieces and we had to verify every acre to get it but we collected almost $2,000,000

Did we receive welfare? NO it was a business decision - - - some of the neighbors who did not have insurance got low interest loans and grants - - - how do I feel about that? I'm not sure but I do not regret the insurance.

Does any one reckon that this is a way of counting cows for the new "methane" tax that the EPA and Obama administration is working quietly to impose. I have seen some very negative press on cattle as of late. Apparently cows are the major contributing factor of the "Global Warming" that created the drought to begin with. I personally could not think of a better way to count cows than to offer free money for each one of them.

I buy land that is normally good for raiseing frogs.SO in order for it to turn a profit I need to send the water south. That is alot easier done if your not in bed with the FSA office.

In order for the FSA office to remain politically correct, it cannot pick and choose who is eligible for payments-unless you sign the form saying you made more than $1,000,000.00 in the past year. If I could find fault it would be the registered guy who sold yearling bulls and females for big dollars this spring AND collected on this program.

programs, subsidies, & insurance are just fine with me, as long as they are not taxpayer funded! This is not just in ag, I don't agree with any of the govt programs that I know of.

The thief came in the night, looting and pilaging. While giving chase he dropped the bag of life's labor on the road. I picked it up and returned it to my home to discover not all of it was mine. I bought a better safe. Unable to find the rightful owner, the church got some new pews and I financed a better politician.

Roughly 20% of the federal budget is charged to the credit cards of our children, grandchildren, and yet unborn descendants as we continue to run deficits.

We allow over a million babies to be slaughtered a year in this country and we steal from the ones we allow to live. Is it any wonder we have problems.

Over 20 years ago I became convinced participating in government farm programs was immoral and haven't participated since, although I'm sure I could collect several $$$ from the 2012 drought.

These programs are fine for those that need them. The problem is the folks that really need a "lift" won't get a penny. The fat cats will get the majority of the proceeds available.

Business at Sparky's welding repair shop will probably suffer. Ranchers that normally need machinery "fixed" will now just scrap the old and buy new stuff. Other mechanic-type businesses may see the same decline in revenue.

The whole concept just throws a monkey wrench into the natural economy. It's like putting a dam across just half of a river. It distorts the river channel, flooding some places and drying up others. If we could ever get politicians willing to completely put a stop to the "farm program," and instead let supply and demand call the shots, we would all be better off.

There has always been an unwritten rule that if you don't vote at elections, you shouldn't be allowed to complain about the politicians that get elected. By the same token, any supposedly good "conservative" rancher that falls for this government ploy, should really not be taken too seriously when they complain about the Liberal agenda of handing out too much welfare.

Soapweed said:
These programs are fine for those that need them. The problem is the folks that really need a "lift" won't get a penny. The fat cats will get the majority of the proceeds available.

Business at Sparky's welding repair shop will probably suffer. Ranchers that normally need machinery "fixed" will now just scrap the old and buy new stuff. Other mechanic-type businesses may see the same decline in revenue.

I agree but Insurance is a whole other deal. Many of the programs are set up so that a "Starting up" individual will be required to participate in order for the banks to lend operating money.

I do not know what the real answer is but what we have today is not the answer!

ND Farmer said:
What type of payment do you receive from the Canadian govt?

You would have to run that question by one of your local Rcalf reps. For years they seem to have been big on talk but short on real answers. Truth be known, maybe while the little fox was circling the hen house the big bad wolf was gobbling up the whole flock.
No offence meant to anyone, but there sure has been a lot of BS flung out there.

Latest posts