• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Busy day in the corn field

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Kato

Reaction score
We had more traffic in the corn field this morning than we could ever imagine possible. We have our cows grazing corn out behind the yard. They get about 2 acres at at time, and then we move the fence. Behind them is an area of knocked down corn, with bits and pieces of leftovers on the ground.

A local goose flock has caught on to this, and decided that the leftovers would make a good snack. Our local coyotes have caught on to this and decided a corn fed goose would make a nice snack. To make the circle complete, one of our old cows has decided a coyote would make a nice snack.

This is the way it worked out this morning. Keep in mind that all this happened in an area of already grazed corn that might be 8 acres at the most. We had 200 cows and 150 calves out grazing corn. Add to that about 800 geese. Add to that a couple of coyotes lurking around trying to pick off a goose. One coyote is sitting by the fence, and one is creeping across the open part, stalking a goose. Along comes old cow, creeping up behind the coyote, stalking him, shaking her head.

In the blink of an eye, the coyote pounces at a goose, the cow pounces at the coyote, and there are geese everywhere! It was like a goose explosion. :shock: :shock: Honking, flapping, feathers raining down from the sky!

No animals were injured in the making of this incident. :wink:

Might I ask, where's the pictures of that? You could of won a national photo contest :!:

I used to work at the Cow/Calf Unit at South Dakota State. There used to be an old goose there (Affectionately known as "Gus"). Some of you may have seen an article on him. Anyway, Gus lived along with the cows all year. Every year during calving he adopted the mother mentality. The only thing that could get close to those calves was mom herself. Let me tell you, a big, white, honking goose coming at you while you are weighing and tagging a calf at 2 in the morning will make you say the Lord's Prayer in a hurry! :shock: :shock:
Unfortunately, Gus was dispatched by a jealous mother one clear March night. :( Her wanted poster is still up at the CCU. :wink:

We would have loved seeing what a pouncing cow looks like! :lol:
Maybe like a pouncing elephant??

nr said:
We would have loved seeing what a pouncing cow looks like! :lol:
Maybe like a pouncing elephant??

I've seen it been on the wrong end of the pounce.

Where are the pictures Kato ?Take a few pictures of those cattle and one of Kato :wink: ...............good luck

Hubby went to the Conservation office and got a banger yesterday afternoon. It fires a blast about every twenty minutes and sounds just like a shotgun. The geese haven't come back, the dogs are both spooked, and the cows are grazing all around the thing. Even the first time it went off they never even blinked! I figured we'd at least get a small stampede, :!: but nothing. :? Maybe our cows are deaf?

I was going to go out and try and get some action shots tomorrow, because I get the day off and will actually be able to see daylight, but I guess I'll just try and get one of the cows and the corn instead. The coyotes won't be so easy to get pictures of. They're probably mad at us now! :roll:

My Appy horse is BAD to stomp anything in his pasture or stable. We found a 'yote once stomped in the horse stall. We guessed that it got caught in there maybe eating some left over horse feed and the Appy lamb-basted him!

He's a great guard horse for sure....he let's you know if ANYTHING is out of sorts in his neighborhood!!!

Brother raises appys...had an appy stud liked to stomp,went out to check mares on pasture one day stud took after him tried to stomp him... let you figure out what happened to that stud

Latest posts