• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

"...but a step..."

Help Support Ranchers.net:

burnt

Reaction score
Even though we seldom think of it, life is uncertain at best.

Yesterday my 66 year-old brother-in-law was going about his carpentry job as he did any other day when he developed a pain up one arm. He called my sister, his wife, to see if he should be alarmed by this. Her opinion would count because she's a nurse in the-state-of-the-art cardio unit in the hospital nearby. She ran some questions by him and he seemed to think it was nothing and went back to work.

A while later, his co-worker stopped by their house and asked how he's doing. What do you mean, she says. Well they took him away in the ambulance he said.

Someone on the job didn't like what they saw and called 911. Turns out that on the way to hospital, several city blocks away, they determined that this one needs to go in NOW for surgery and when they got there the theater was cleaning up after the last one of the day but the surgical staff was still all there. He had an immediate triple bypass and is in recovery.

Jim is a tall, lean, athletic man who always took good care of his health, the last one you'd expect to have heart trouble. But there he is. My sister said it was kinda different being on the receiving end of the care system on the floor where she works rather than the one in uniform. She's the best nurse in the world.

Anyway, it made me think of what the Psalmist David said when being chased by an enemy - "...There is but a step between me and death..."

We never know when it will be over for us on this side. Jim got another chance. But his brush with mortality seems to take the urgency out of what I had considered to be my busy schedule.

That sounds eerily familiar ,but my BIL was 43 .

Glad they got him into surgery right away Burnt ;praying for a speedy recovery and good health. I know how stressful this must be on everyone, hugs to you all .♥

Thank you everyone. My sister called this evening and said that he is awake as of this afternoon and cracking jokes! Pretty amazing!

burnt said:
Thank you everyone. My sister called this evening and said that he is awake as of this afternoon and cracking jokes! Pretty amazing!

Maybe he ran into his Fairy Godmother like I did. :D

Hope for the Leafs yet. :lol: :lol:

Sure glad to hear it's working out Burnt, that's scary stuff.

Well, he seems to be coming along pretty good. He is awake and talking to folks and it sure hasn't hurt his sense of humor! He had previously been in good health with no history of heart trouble in his family. So you just never know.

Got the story from my other sister how it all went down - he was working at finishing up a big church window replacement that he had contracted to do when he developed a pain in his back, not his arms like I first said.

He called my sister, the cardio nurse, and said that he's got this pain in his back. But after talking to her he decided it wasn't too serious, likely just pulled a muscle, so he sat down for a few minutes. It didn't subside, so he laid down. The church secretary came back from lunch, saw him laying there resting looking kinda funny and said "I'm calling an ambulance!" Good thing she did!

It's amazing what all equipment the EMS crew had in their "bus". They had him largely diagnosed and stabilized before they got to the hospital where they sent him almost directly to the correct surgery theater.

So the strange part was that the pain and symptoms were atypical, which is why my sister didn't recognize his pain as the usual heart failure signs.

Not to scare anyone, but it might be helpful to know that heart troubles don't always come with the regular symptoms. So don't ignore those telltale signs. And not everyone has their cardio failure 15 or 20 minutes from a first class cardio-specialty facility either, like Jim did!

We are very grateful for the way things went and the tremendous support from everyone along the way.

one of my cousins is 6 months older than me, at 39 he has a heart attack, and was 95% blocked...he is a very healthy, lean athletic guy...not the tubby turd like I am.... made me sit up and take notice, cause if a HEALTHY guy can have troubles, I better get in get a check up!

glad all is well Burnt

Prayers your way, Burnt. Our pastor's 2 brothers both died from Cardiac arrest, the last one just this year and he was given a bill of health from his doctor just before his heart attack. I think when it's your time it's your time. I'm glad this is not your BIL's time.

glad to hear all is going well, burnt!!! you are soooo very correct....many folks do NOT exhibit "stereo-typical" signs of a cardiac event...women in particular will complain of "indigestion" and "back pain" and shortness of breath...not everyone will complain of the classic "crushing/excrutiating" chest pain that radiates to the jaw and down the left arm.....and not everyone who has a cardiac event is "old enough"...have taken care of many folk under the age of 60 who had heart attacks and thought it was "nothing to worry about...because i am not old enough"!!!!! scary!!

Latest posts