• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

butcher steer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

andrews29

Reaction score
took a black angus steer to butcher on monday his hanging wt is 611 how much meat would you all excepted to get back ?

andrews29 said:
took a black angus steer to butcher on monday his hanging wt is 611 how much meat would you all excepted to get back ?

That is pretty variable depending on how it is cut/processed. If you get the whole thing made into bone-in cuts you will end up with a lot more pounds than if you made a lot of ground and stewing beef or boned out cuts.

If I remember correctly, we have ended up with about 60%, maybe 65% of hanging weight that actually went into the freezer. But it's been a while since I actually weighed the finished, boxed cuts that we got from a side.

I have had a hard time explaining to customers that if their side weighted 350 lbs. they will not get nearly that much product back. When they ask why not, I ask them if they want the leg bones, ribs - then they begin to understand - usually . . .

i had them do boneless on the T-bone to make new yorks and tenderloin no stew meat and 3-4 pound roast.

We raise several butcher beeves a year for ourselves and to sell. I have used two different butchers in the last few years and the results are the same. On a 1000 # animal that is fed out for 90 days you should yield about 55-60% hanging weight. We have consistantly got 57%. On that 1000 # beef we have got no less than 37% final yield on the beef we take home. Usually we get around 40% takehome. How much bone is left in will affect total takehome weight. A good butcher can usually estimate within 5-10 #'s of takehome beef. Our problem is getting the people that buy our beef to understand that they can't have all steaks or have 1000#'s of beef out of a 1000# animal.

jodywy said:
Even worst for a lamb, with the pelt off. And yes God didn't put enough chops on a lamb either.... but I like shanks, and I cook the short ribs off a beef

It seems like a dressed lamb will fit in a match box. :shock: :D

I remember when we used to get a beef done and it seemed like boxes and boxes of beef but many of the better processors take most of the bone out and it's not so many packages but they do a nice job and you can cook a roast and not end up with a little meat and a big bone.

Latest posts