• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

calf catch ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

VB RANCH

Reaction score
does anybody know any thing about those catches or hooks that a guy can use to work calves, hook on calf when horse drags him by rider stays on horse ground man hooks calf and then works him. where to get one or how to make one. thanks

There are many types available. Which do you prefer? You can use from bicycle inner tubes, to Nordforks, to Soapweeds branding gizmo. Probably the branding gizmo is the very best if you are short of help. There are pictures and instructions right on this site. Just do a search, probably in the archives, for Branding Gizmo. Soapweed brands over 1000 calves with it with minimal help and he has it pretty prefected. His son makes them and you can get them from him.

If we are short of help, which is not often, we use a car inner tube with two ropes attached. One is attached to a stake in the ground,, the other is looped around the front feet of the calf when he is dragged by. The horse maintains tension and one man can work the calf.

We also have a powder river calf table which no one wants gto use. They generally work pretty good if set up right. I worked 188 calves in five hours with one other person with a calf table. Sure did sleep good that night!!

VB RANCH said:
does anybody know any thing about those catches or hooks that a guy can use to work calves, hook on calf when horse drags him by rider stays on horse ground man hooks calf and then works him. where to get one or how to make one. thanks

Post to soapweed he has one that his son builds that look real good. Search back to last May or june on Ranch talk for branding pics. I think that is what you want.

Typical problem with most calf table setups has absolutely nothing to do with the table. Most places have an alley leading up to the calf table that is too wide. We have an adjustable alley that we can narrow down so that noone has to get in the alley to push calves or keep them from turning around. You can work your cattle or they can work you, it all goes back to setting it up right.....That being said, roping is a lot of fun :wink: :) :)

PPRM

We rope ours, but we did finally resort to a calf table in W. Montana :mad: and the neighbor, who was very inventive did something to it so it worked much better. It was a Powder River and I think they raised it somehow so you didn't have to tip the calves over.

I better find out from my husband just what it was that they did.
Soapweeds deal looks good to us.

Could I ask Soapweed to repost some pics? I found the threads, but his pics are gone from Photobucket. I currently use a Hi-Hog Calf Catch which is just a hook that fits around the back leg and you can drag the calf down. Its shaped so they can't get their leg out once you catch them. It works ok, but I'm always on the lookout for something else, since I'm a 1 man show.

Rod

I'd sure like to see the pics of that gizzmo too. I thought i was doing something wrong when they werent coming up on that old photobucket.
thanks

Latest posts