• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calf check

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
When we branded the dry cows were kicked up above my house. So every evening I go up to see if there are any new calves that I can find. There is 15 cows on about 300 acres of steep draws and tall sage brush. I have yet to find a new calf. They all look to be 3 or 4 days old the first time I see them. Found another tonight. That makes 9 calves I have recorded. Tonight I saw 8 cows and 6 calves. I was probably too early tonight they were shaded up. I know there are some over in a draw that has a spring. It is an ordeal to get there. One I didn't feel like doing tonight. Four cows and calves under a juniper. It was the first time seeing one of the calves.

Attachments

• P5132541.JPG
    P5132541.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 45
  • P5132543.JPG
    P5132543.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 47
The neighbor has 100+ fall pairs. They calf up in the hills. They better not have any trouble because nobody see them for a long time.

The neighbor has 100+ fall pairs. They calf up in the hills. They better not have any trouble because nobody see them for a long time.
It's really amazing how well they do on their own. We share leased a ranch that was 28,000 acres. The 600 cows calved on their own. There are lots of hills and draws in that country for protection. We rode and checked them and caked them 3 times a week, but I can't remember ever finding a problem. Of course the heifers were kept in closer and we worked the heaviest off as needed. I think sometimes. having cattle too confined at calving time can cause problems.
But they have to be confined in different operations. We were just glad when they were able to calve outside on their own.

My last heifer at my Mom's place calved yesterday.Very relieved about that.Now I have to watch 9 more on my creek place.They should start calving today and go until June 30th.My heifer bull has been a good'un.I've never had to pull one of his calves.Knock on wood.Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Latest posts