• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calf death

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Got to agree with Cory on this one although we don't calve as late as I would like to for various other reasons.

Heat pad underneath and next to the wood heater in the basement, lots of rubbing with a towel is our method of re-heating calves. Never had one live with the bathtub treatment so we quit trying that after 2 or 3.

When they are bright and sitting up and starting the where's mama bawl it's time to go back out.

thawed lots out in the bathtub. Older I get I have to agree with NR calve when its warmer is best. Worst case I ever seen was one that spent 24 hours underneath a snowbank in April of 97

I concur with N.R. and gcreekrch about appropriate times to calve but only because we learned everything the hard way and just recently moved to later calving. We also used hot boxes ( mine is a ways from home and has a propane radiant heater in it and holds up to 7 calves at a time and has been full a time or two, Now it just holds tools and water jugs) blow dryers and ceramic heaters in the basement worked too and in extreme cases we have had good luck by setting them in the laundry tub in cool water and slowly increasing the water temperature over about 3/4 hour. This last method was only used when they were almost frozen and even kept the ears and tail from falling off but makes mothering up a little harder as it washes the scent off. Hope this helps for now but it all becomes redundant if you move your calving dates closer to summer.

Latest posts