• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calf Down!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
A week ago, we had a 500 pound feeder calf go down on us. He will try to get up, but never manages to get back up! Currently we are giving him fresh straw, hay, and water and chop three times a day, but he will not get up. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is wrong with this calf??

Do his eyes roll back in their sockets part way? If so I would venture to say he has polio. If treated with vitamin B (thyamine) you stand a chance but he needs treatment yesterday.

I've seen a few calves like that when I helped out at the local feedlot a couple winters. You'd pump them up with the Thyamine, and once they got to the point where they could get up, they'd run around in circles like they had no balance. Try getting an animal sorted out of a pen, through a gate then into a chute when they can't walk a straight line! Lots of fun.lol

This is one case where you're money ahead to call in the vet.......could be anything from a back injury to ITEME. WB and Pure Country could also be right about Polio......check him for pupil response if none or is faint you can try Thiamine. There's a lot of things to check and a $7-750 calf is worth a vet's fee! Good luck!

Latest posts