• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

calf market

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jason Quote"As for the better calves selling, one of my bull customers got $1.39 for 579 wt heifers. They were weaned starting at 8 am and sold the following day at 1pm. They had been named champion pen of heifers at the special british breeds sale. "

We watch the markets here every week and thsoe hiefers if they were as fancy as you say would be around the $1.00 mark. that seems to be tops in this area. If they are steers you could put another .15 on top for that weight.

Cull cows- We were at a sale today and cull cows sold for between .03 and .13 avg. Getting to the point where selling costs more than you get for the cow.

From the paper, it's hard to tell.... Some calves bring alot of money and then alot don't......Looks like the fly-weights bring alot and the 525 to 600s don't dollar up as well... I think it's still quality... And I think some ranchers are waiting thinking the price will go up......And it may well be... I don't think there is a lot of calves left in the country with the drought...
It's a crap shoot and high sight is 20/20.......

katrina said:
From the paper, it's hard to tell.... Some calves bring alot of money and then alot don't......Looks like the fly-weights bring alot and the 525 to 600s don't dollar up as well... I think it's still quality... And I think some ranchers are waiting thinking the price will go up......And it may well be... I don't think there is a lot of calves left in the country with the drought...
It's a crap shoot and high sight is 20/20.......
Looking back is always easy. I'm holding mine till March or so.

The market here seems to be on a downhill slide. Apparently 550 to over 600 pound calves are not the desirable weights to be buying at this time with the market tending to be stronger for 400+ calves.

I've heard several of the old timers saying the price of corn is hurting the cattle and since we feed very little of it I honestly have no opinion if that is the deal of not. Others say that the corn fields are going to be late for the feeders to get cattle in so they are buying the lighter calves so they have more time to put the weight on them and can wait for the stalks.

I do know this the market is down enough we are just gonna sit on our heifers and hope for the market to make it's way back up.

Red Robin said:
A friend bought some 479 weight colored steers here today for a buck. Is the market in an over correction position?
I think it's over corrected. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. Unless those $479 steer calves are really, really plain, they sound plenty cheap.

In fact, if they were yellow, I'd like to have some. They'd cheapen my calves up a whole lot, 'cause I want a lot more than that for mine. :lol:

LOL.......I keep waiting to hear of people getting ready to build plants tat will turn Diesel into Corn......Just Kidding of Course....

I checked into Barley, but it is to closely priced to corn around here and I tout dorn-fed in my Direct progam, so I'll stick to that..

I laughed with a Commodities buyer for a pretty major feeding company. He was talking they were going to wait for the market to pull back some before buying....I said, "You gonna wait till it pulss back 5-10 dollars a ton?" He said "Yeah"...Then I said, well are you gonna wait for it to go up $30.oo/ton and do that pullback?" and he said, "Likely" and laughed...

The key to making money this year will be feed alternatives. In addition to being priced too high, the Barely is kinda scarce in the NW.....If you don't have feed tied up that is cheap, remmber, lots of people looking for it right now..Lots, and some have deep pockets, so it won't be easy to find....The other consideration if you do have cheap feed....Will you make more holdng claves or sellin the feed and calvs? Just a thot...

I full expect to see calves enter lots heavier this next year. Calves will spend less time on corn is my thot...

Anyways,

Best of luck, I think being flexible is the key!

PPRM

Texan said:
Red Robin said:
A friend bought some 479 weight colored steers here today for a buck. Is the market in an over correction position?
I think it's over corrected. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. Unless those $479 steer calves are really, really plain, they sound plenty cheap.

In fact, if they were yellow, I'd like to have some. They'd cheapen my calves up a whole lot, 'cause I want a lot more than that for mine. :lol:
I saw those steers tonight. They were better than I expected. They were 85% 1's with the balance split between 2's and 3's . They looked like a bargain. They were all unweaned and unvaccinated but hadn't been through a sale barn . They did come from a calf buyer locally who buys 500 head twice per week to sell to feedlots so they might have been a little stressed but not like a sale barn. They looked pretty good.

Around here everyone is talking about the corn going for the ethanol plants and there are several being built. So that is one of the driving factors the other being short supply for export as the drought has covered a very large area in the world.

Red Robin said:
I saw those steers tonight. They were better than I expected. They were 85% 1's with the balance split between 2's and 3's . They looked like a bargain. They were all unweaned and unvaccinated but hadn't been through a sale barn . They did come from a calf buyer locally who buys 500 head twice per week to sell to feedlots so they might have been a little stressed but not like a sale barn. They looked pretty good.
They sure sound cheap enough. Sounds like the 'preconditioning premium' has already turned into a pretty severe discount in your area.

Don't know if it went they way they were saying but the sale barn man here reportedly said he was opening 5 weight steers at 86 today. :shock:
edit: that was yesterday, this is tuesday sale is on monday. I'll check the market report.

500 weights last week went for 1.12 around here last week or so the sale barn guy told me.. Heifers were still over a buck... need to go check their report to make sure he wasn't blowing smoke... If they go much lower selling them starts making less sense if you can come up with some feed...

To cliafiy I mean if they go much lower than RR's 87 bucks statment..

Ok, I've researched and have discovered what day of the week this is, :oops: The barn man that said that has a sale on Mon.

Here's last weeks report so I guess the news is wrong. Sorry for the shock Nicky. :lol: I guess he could be talking about next weeks sale but I'd just say my informant is lying or wrong.

Feeder Steers: Medium and Large 1 350-400 lbs 117.00-122.00 (119.47); 400-
450 lbs 110.00-119.50 (117.22); 450-500 lbs 105.00-114.00 (109.32); 500-550 lbs
110.00; 550-600 lbs 95.00-100.00 (98.70); 600-650 lbs 95.00; 700-750 lbs 82.50
Fleshy. Medium and Large 1-2 500-550 lbs 97.50-100.00 (98.81); 550-600 lbs
97.00; 650-700 lbs 90.00; 700-750 lbs 91.25; 750-800 lbs 92.50. Medium and
Large 2 300-350 lbs 110.00-123.00 (116.85); 350-400 lbs 103.00-121.00
(115.46); 400-450 lbs 110.00-113.00 (110.73); 450-500 lbs 90.00-105.00 (97.43);
500-550 lbs 85.00-100.00 (93.57); 550-600 lbs 90.00-95.00 (92.56); 600-650 lbs
92.50; 650-700 lbs 85.00-90.00 (88.74); 700-750 lbs 88.50; 700-750 lbs 85.00
Fleshy. Holstein Steers Large 3 450-500 lbs 80.00.

Manitoba_Rancher said:
We watch the markets here every week and thsoe hiefers if they were as fancy as you say would be around the $1.00 mark. that seems to be tops in this area. If they are steers you could put another .15 on top for that weight.

We're well down too. Top pen of 598lb heifers at the last Kelvington sale went for 95 cents. Thats BSE level pricing again. I'm hoping that the grain market settles down a bit and that alot of the panic on the futures is unfounded. Depends on who you listen to of course, but I tend to believe the Australian wheat shortage are driving prices.

Rod

Barley in Manitoba has been down for two days now. Were going to have to see it level off to get some interest back in these smaller calves.

t appears to me that calves have lost about $200 in value since September. I'm no market annalist, but I think fats are down about $8 a hundred or approx. $100 a head. It takes about 70 bushels of barley to finish a 700# calf and there is your other $100.
I'm sure there are lots of other factors. Maybe some Feeders can comment.
I know if you have 350 calves you just lost $200 a day.
I might be digging around in dumpsters for supper yet this winter.
Fats have to go up or feed has to go down. If it goes the other way it will be bloody.

Latest posts