• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calf Prices! WOW!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BRG

Reaction score
We had a customer sell on Superior today so I hung out and watched the sale for a while. These prices are amazing, on all classes of cattle! Our customer sold 5 loads weighing 610 lbs and they got $237.50, and then they sold 1 load weighing 510 lbs and got $257.50! If I remember correct, last year this ranch got $1.80 for their 600 lbs steers last year, and that was a great price. What a difference, exciting times!!!

Good for the cow calf guy. I don't have a horse in this race. I think it's been so long that the cow calf guy has made any real money that he is used to not making a lot. It's about time he is getting paid for his labor.

I love it for us cow calf guys. I am on a couple other boards and the farmer feeder operators are sure complaining about what they are having to pay for calves. It's impossible for one sector of our business to profit without others feeling left out.

.We are our own best customer.

I'm glad for everyone that is getting paid for their work/risk. I hope it turns out well for the feeder too! We are all in this together!

I heard about the super prices. We could only watch online and it wasn't very good streaming. Superior is now on Rural TV, not RFD-TV and Rural TV is only on Dish Network.

You know I'm pretty happy about the prices folks are getting for their product these days, but I still don't feel like it's a runaway. But it's just now that ranching looks like a viable business model. One of my pet peeves has always been when people who know nothing about the business tell me "Oh, but it's not a business, it's a way of life" :mad: It is a business, and if we all weren't pretty fair business people we would have been out of business a long time ago. And now with these prices (should they hold up for a while) it's a business that may interest some young people to venture into.

I have to agree with you Silver. Nothing is more irritating than listening to some "cattle business expert" telling us we are not in it for the money but we do it for the lifestyle. Funny they seem to never have any cow **** on their boots and I don't if they have ever delt with some of a ranchers more glorious moments. Such as a 2 am patch up job on a prolapsed, on the fight, snot blowing, completely ungrateful cow.
But on the other hand I wouldn't trade them jobs.

The local butcher cattle sale last week saw top steers sell at record highs. 1445 at $1.68. Many steers are bringing $2000 - $2200. So most of these calves will see almost $1000 spread. Should that not work?

burnt said:
The local butcher cattle sale last week saw top steers sell at record highs. 1445 at $1.68. Many steers are bringing $2000 - $2200. So most of these calves will see almost $1000 spread. Should that not work?

Depends what adg and cog are.

Silver said:
You know I'm pretty happy about the prices folks are getting for their product these days, but I still don't feel like it's a runaway. But it's just now that ranching looks like a viable business model. One of my pet peeves has always been when people who know nothing about the business tell me "Oh, but it's not a business, it's a way of life" :mad: It is a business, and if we all weren't pretty fair business people we would have been out of business a long time ago. And now with these prices (should they hold up for a while) it's a business that may interest some young people to venture into.

Probably entice a few more to get out than get in...

Hayguy said:
Silver said:

Probably entice a few more to get out than get in...

Probably that too.

But you know, there are some real good opportunities for beginning farmers these days. Sure worth looking into if you are wanting to get started. Along with less cattle than we have had since the 70's, we also have less young people in the business.

We are fortunate in this area because I can think of several young people who are back operating a ranch/farm. It just feels good to see them there.

The past couple weeks we have taken 6 older kill cows to the stockyards in western Oregon. they ranged from $ .95 to $ 1.07 per/lb cows ranged from 1100 lbs to 1700 lbs. that is the highest we have ever seen it here in the valley. What does that make ground beef worth.

burnt said:

I have a fat calf that will be ready in mid August. I priced him to a gal that has bought a couple fats from me before. Anyway, I priced him at $3.00/pound hanging. Was told that I was over priced. I can't replace him for that, but I understand her position too. I may end up with a couple beeves in the freezer, and not feed anything for awhile.

LazyWP said:
burnt said:

I have a fat calf that will be ready in mid August. I priced him to a gal that has bought a couple fats from me before. Anyway, I priced him at $3.00/pound hanging. Was told that I was over priced. I can't replace him for that, but I understand her position too. I may end up with a couple beeves in the freezer, and not feed anything for awhile.

You buyer needs to go to the store and price meat out, and figure out how much more she would be paying if she bought meat at the store pound for pound. They would really be shocked!

BRG said:
LazyWP said:
burnt said:

You buyer needs to go to the store and price meat out, and figure out how much more she would be paying if she bought meat at the store pound for pound. They would really be shocked!

That's what I thought.

What I told her also, and her reply was "we will be eating pork and poultry now".

Was in the house at noon today and they sold some cattle at Bassett Neb. on cattle usa

60 910# black steers 2.07 =1883.70

600# steers at 2.60 = 1560.00

411# steers at 3.57 = 1467.27

I sold steers I had in the lot this week. Weighed 895# and brought $1.93. I was pretty pleased considering that when we bought them the first of Feb they weighed 650 and cost 1.78. Sometimes it pays to be lucky.

Another set had 109 head weighed 933 brought $1.945 they were pretty fancy and looked good.

Latest posts