• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Calf Prices

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tenbach79

Reaction score
Went to the cattle sell today a lot of 5 to 6 weight calves brought $1200 a head today. Sure wish I still had mine and hope these prices stay next year.

GM88 said:
:shock: :shock: hope there is money left for everyone down the line so this wont fade away.

those that are paying these HIGH prices for bred stock better hope not. i think those are the folks that stand to take the biggest ass kickin' if this thing goes south, and it's not a matter of if it will but a matter of when.

tenbach79 said:
Went to the cattle sell today a lot of 5 to 6 weight calves brought $1200 a head today. Sure wish I still had mine and hope these prices stay next year.

I'm wishing for the same thing especially considering the high dollar hay the girls are eating. I sold some late summer calves at Winter's on tuesday and they brought a little over $1100/head. It was a nice check for just 8 head.

Superior Auctions just sold some 450 lbs weaned steers for $192.00 a pound thats $864.00 .....wonder what the break even is on them these days..but good price for the seller

They sold 458lb st calves for 2.05 at $938hd yesterday. That price per head is what I got for 650lb steer calves back in November right off the cow.

Big Muddy rancher said:
What are these 5-6 wt steers going to do on grass when they are going out a $1000. Think they will make any money?

Right now the September Feeder board is just under $1.60.

From Philip Livestock last Tuesday

44 Herf Steers [email protected]
63 BWF Steers [email protected]
15 Herf Steers [email protected]
28 Herf Steers [email protected]

And one bunch of Char cross cattle that belong to a neighbor that I will mention
75 Char Steers [email protected]

A quote from the letter I sent to my bull customers

What a great time to be in the cattle business. Talking cattle markets is a lot like the weather, I am not sure we have seen this in our lifetime. Imputs are high and seem to be going up, but I think we are just in a new game that we need to adjust to. It seems we are going to hit a new normal, but I don't think we are there yet. One thing we are in control of, is optimism, we can't control imputs or the weather, but we can always be optimistic of the future. After all, this is "next year" country even when we had a year like this.

I really don't think we are at the new normal yet. The lack of cattle in Texas, still ground being broke to farm, expansion of cities, increasing population and increasing exports are all in the cattlemans favor. I think over $2.00 for 550 steers will be the new normal but I don't know how far over.

Id gamble on a breeding female before I would a $1200 grass steeer-steers have a shelf life while a female can be amortized while you work through a market correction. It is definately a scary but exciting time to be in the cow business for sure-it still beats changing cultivator shovels lol.

Bear Paw Livestock - chinook mt

1/27/12

547lbs black baldie steers - 2.40/lbs.... again 2.40/lbs

funny thing too - after they sold them the guy runner up thru a fit cause he said he was bidding again not saying no!

1741lbs baldie cows 5 to 7 start 3/16 @ 1750/hd

1757lbs kill cows brought 80.75

Northern Rancher said:
Id gamble on a breeding female before I would a $1200 grass steeer-steers have a shelf life while a female can be amortized while you work through a market correction. It is definately a scary but exciting time to be in the cow business for sure-it still beats changing cultivator shovels lol.

I agree Cory-- the heifers could go either which way-- depending on where the market is------- BUT unless everything falls to hell- I think "the experts" are right and over the next few years all you can say is "HIGHER, HIGHER, HIGHER...

I see no different and it may prove what Pat Goggins has said for years- all the cattle industry needs is a good recession/depression that those that live thru it will profit off from......

For some funny reason I'm remembering what an older guy told me about a year ago. He and his brother had a feedlot where they brought in heavy yearlings to finish, usually putting on about 400 lbs., using the corn and hay they grew on their farms.

They had years of experience and sold reputation, hard-fed butcher cattle.

On May 20, 2003 (a black day burned into the memory of Canadian Cattlemen) those two brothers had 400 - 1400lb. steers ready to ship and lined up to go. When the bad news broke, the packing plant doors slammed shut almost as tight as the U.S. border.

When the backlog cleared a little and they could finally move them - fed longer than they normally would - - they got $300 dollars/hd. for cattle that cost them $1300 as long yearlings. Not to mention their feed that went into the steers.

At their age, it was next to impossible to make up their losses. After years of doing an excellent job of what they were very good at, they were almost back to where they had started decades ealier. Sorry to cast a cloud over good news - but some things are hard to forget.

So let's enjoy what we have!

Oldtimer said:
Northern Rancher said:

I agree Cory-- the heifers could go either which way-- depending on where the market is------- BUT unless everything falls to hell- I think "the experts" are right and over the next few years all you can say is "HIGHER, HIGHER, HIGHER...

I see no different and it may prove what Pat Goggins has said for years- all the cattle industry needs is a good recession/depression that those that live thru it will profit off from......

My family and I background several 100 head of calves each year and we all agree that the heifer side is a much more sound investment. You can feed em, breed em, or eat em. I think a guy just needs to be in the game currently, there are several ways to turn a buck.

Latest posts